Fracking... What Do You Think?

The new Matt Damon movie is going to light a fire on this issue, pun intended.

It will open people's eyes and create a divide between those who have made up their minds what they believe and those who are not okay with oil and gas industries having a free pass on how they do what they do without oversight.

Just saying that's what it's gonna do.

Originally Posted By: woodguruThe new Matt Damon movie is going to light a fire on this issue, pun intended.

It will open people's eyes and create a divide between those who have made up their minds what they believe and those who are not okay with oil and gas industries having a free pass on how they do what they do without oversight.

Where's the beef woody????????? Need some credible sources.

Proof is in the puddin, not that stuff that comes out your A$$.

Well at least Hollywierd doesent support the left! They are totally believable!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: woodguruThe new Matt Damon movie is going to light a fire on this issue, pun intended.

It hasn't even been released yet, and already the media is condemning it as a feeble attempt at documentary, while seeking an Oscar. Stated it failed miserably at both.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760So, an erroneous 'documentary' and a Matt Damon movie are your sources...that's rich!

You can say that again.

Tim

After the BP disaster, I was kind of surprised that the oil industry didn`t have a bit more oversight; kind of like the Resident NRC folks at nuclear power plants.
I mean, from at least what was `reported`, BP had some serious saftey equipment that wasn`t functioning properly and additionally the work that was being done was done so in a way to save money. No?
The Resident NRC Inspectors at Nuclear Plants keep that kind of stuff from happening.

Originally Posted By: HookedAfter the BP disaster, I was kind of surprised that the oil industry didn`t have a bit more oversight; kind of like the Resident NRC folks at nuclear power plants.
I mean, from at least what was `reported`, BP had some serious saftey equipment that wasn`t functioning properly and additionally the work that was being done was done so in a way to save money. No?
The Resident NRC Inspectors at Nuclear Plants keep that kind of stuff from happening.

Hooked,those are good points,why not have inspectors on the rig all the time,if they see something wrong they can make a protest,and document it. I suspect having worked with the Gubmint and State they dont want any such liability.

In defense of BP,at the time I believe they did file for permits on all of the equipment to be used and procedures,and were given approval..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTE I suspect having worked with the Gubmint and State they dont want any such liability.

Exactly!! Having worked as an Engineering Observer on a waterline construction project, that is exactly why they don't have anyone there. That is also why we were called observers, because if we were called inspectors, then it could be argued that it "passed inspection" and the Engineering Firm would have to assume a portion of the liability for any defects.

As I see it; if the oil companies skip things, practice poor safety, are not sure of their tools working right? Then when something goes wrong( and it wiil because killroy works in petrolium ) they will get caught, lose a bunch of money, damage the environment and fire a couple of executives. It seems to me that it behooves them to err on the side of caution for a large number of reasons.

The same applies to dry land drilling as it does to deep well(ocean) drilling.

There are armies of anti's just waiting for reason to raise more money on oil drilling failures.

No need to be an Einstein to realize the need for caution and control when drilling.

Very good point ROCKY on observer versus 'inspector'...

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTE I suspect having worked with the Gubmint and State they dont want any such liability.

Exactly!! Having worked as an Engineering Observer on a waterline construction project, that is exactly why they don't have anyone there. That is also why we were called observers, because if we were called inspectors, then it could be argued that it "passed inspection" and the Engineering Firm would have to assume a portion of the liability for any defects.

Thanks for that clarification about liability; I didn`t quite understand what Baystate meant but I get it now.
Also good job with that post on the other page...hmm, the one about computer generated model, of a computer generated model, relating to a dead lab rat... that was excellent,and the kind of points that need to be made in order to..oh, perhaps sway an opinion. That was IMO an excellent example of `big government` waste.
Not to mention the humor I found in it! Painful Truth

Made the mistake of calling myself an inspector in front of the boss one time, and OMG!!

Opinions like the dead rat theory bought me 7 years on the ND Rural Water Legislative Committee. I testified before the State's Natural Resources Committee on more than one occasion. Helped work on several bills to benefit the association members and water users all over ND, and even drafted one bill that was submitted to the legislature. It was an interesting experience to say the least. Quite often more politics were resolved over a cigarette break, than in hours of testimony and meeting. Simply a matter of taking a few folks aside, and pointing out things that you really can't openly state before the committee.

Sheesh, anyone who uses a hollywood movie as anything factual are beyond repair. Sadly people react to that tripe as the Gospel. I'm sure before long it will be cited as case law in our liberal courts.

Originally Posted By: dog1whckrAs I see it; if the oil companies skip things, practice poor safety, are not sure of their tools working right? Then when something goes wrong( and it wiil because killroy works in petrolium ) they will get caught, lose a bunch of money, damage the environment and fire a couple of executives. It seems to me that it behooves them to err on the side of caution for a large number of reasons.

The same applies to dry land drilling as it does to deep well(ocean) drilling.

There are armies of anti's just waiting for reason to raise more money on oil drilling failures.

No need to be an Einstein to realize the need for caution and control when drilling.

Very good point ROCKY on observer versus 'inspector'...

Great points,Dog!
Regulations written by trade groups are some of the best and most stringent,regulations by the Gubmint fools who know nothing about the trade they are regulating are costly,and in most cases worthless.
I am a structural steel fabricator,I use the AISC American Institute of Steel Construction,the AWS American Welding Society,and the SSPC Steel Structures Painting Council manuals and guide lines,these groups are by far the best in the world. Every trade group has a vested interst in a zero failure rate,its called taking care of the customer!!
Anyone get that feeling from Gubmint???

Lets put it this way,the Gubmint fines Toyota for loose floor matts,goes after Microsoft for anti trust,Goes after baseball players for using drugs, and etc.

But four dead in Bengazi,and they just reasign a few people!!!

Back