What caliber for Hogs

Derag2

Me and a couple guys are going hog hunting in texas, our main weapon is going to be archery equipment but were taking a gun along too.. What caliber do you need to take? I was wanting to take my .223 ar incase I can get into some coyotes but my buddy doesnt think it will get the job done.. I have 30-06, 30-30, .223. Ive never done this before so Im not sure what to expect.

Quote: I was wanting to take my .223 ar incase I can get into some coyotes but my buddy doesnt think it will get the job done

It will get the job done if you put it in the right place. I have killed 3 this week with my ar.

Let me ask you this. Why take only one gun? after all your taking and bow and a gun. Why not take a gun for predators and a gun for hogs? You can kill a hog with a .223, heck I've killed them with everything from a claw hammer to a .458 socom. You stated this will be you first time. Why take a chance on losing a hog with an inferior caliber for the job. As Yellowhammer stated it can be done and for us guys that do it regularly a .223 is okay I still don't recommend it. If your watching feeders and can pick each shot you might get by. Trouble is, hogs don't sit still long and you will be excited. I can tell you this I've hunted Nebraska coyotes you'll be disappointed in the hide of our ol Texas dogs. If your gonna bring only one gun, bring the -O6.

Originally Posted By: guessI've killed them with everything from a claw hammer to a .458 socom.

When you hunt with a claw hammer, do you use the run of the mill 16 oz. model, or one of the big 24 oz. framing hammers?

Im just trying to save space by only having two cases... We got 3 guys in one truck each having clothes, guns,bows and some coolers. Guess ill just bring the .06 and let it be..

The 06 will be fine unless you find yourself in a hog ambush. There you need the AR. Load it up with 60 grain partitions over 25 grains of Benchmark and watch them fall. Still gotta shoot em right o'course.

I've killed them pretty dead with my 30-30 and if fun to shoot. I've killed them deader with the 30-06. I've had mixed results with a .223 but shot placement is not always the best the way I have hunted them.

A lot of people don't know this, but you can kill a coyote with a 30 caliber rifle. If its a well constructed bullet, it won't even make that much of a mess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TwoSeventyOriginally Posted By: guessI've killed them with everything from a claw hammer to a .458 socom.

When you hunt with a claw hammer, do you use the run of the mill 16 oz. model, or one of the big 24 oz. framing hammers?

on the day in question, It was a 24 oz. framing hammer. way more reach that the 16 oz. It was a previously wounded and very Pizzed off hog! Self defense I say self defense! The wife had my rifle and I was in my work truck.

take the 06, I have killed plenty of hogs with 223 but untill you gut one and see that their vitals are farther forward adn understand their anotmy go with the 06

Agree with the '06. Overkill is under rated. I shot an 80lb shoat last week with my .358 win, 250 grain Horandy soft point moving about 2300. Entrance behind the on shoulder angled forward, NO EXIT WOUND! I was really upset because I had just spent the time to make sure that she lined up with another one in the field. I already had my 2 hog 1 bullet story ready...

well I guess ill bring the 30-06 along...... maybe ill try and fit my AR in someplace maybe If i take and lower off the upper i can make it fit someplace....

I found a case that I thought Id lost and I got my AR and 30-06 to fit inside, barely but its in there so ill have best of both worlds.......

Thanks for all the advice.

I killed 3 with my AR and eotech last year. Buddys killed 4 with 223 nd a big one with a. 308. Im going again in a month and am taking my AR in. 223 again. So pumped

I'm not an expert hog hunter, but I like the idea of a big bore for a big boar.

I used a .444 Marlin shooting 265 gr. Hornady Flat Points. Dropped a pig at about 75 yards. My son shot a rather nice hog, and large, with the same rifle and load. It was bayed up with dogs and the shot was rather close, but it did the job.

Good hunting.

One thing you have to ask yourself: Self I have a 250lb PISSED OFF BOAR charging me, what do I want in my hands a rifle with a 22/60gr bullet or a 30/150gr or 165gr Partision bullet. Oo and you only have time for 1 shot?

Nim

Picked up my old Vaughn 32oz. framing hammer awhile back and couldn't believe I actually could, and did, swing that thing all day long. It takes both hands just to pick it up now.
cry.gif

Moving right along, I sure like my 450 Bushmaster on pigs. Kinda like a semi-auto 45-70.

Quote:One thing you have to ask yourself: Self I have a 250lb PISSED OFF BOAR charging me, what do I want in my hands a rifle with a 22/60gr bullet or a 30/150gr or 165gr Partision bullet. Oo and you only have time for 1 shot?

I have hunted hogs a lot and never had one charge me that was not either in a trap or bayed by dogs.

I have probably killed more hogs with my .223 than anything else. .22 mag is probably second because I used to hunt hogs on public land that was archery/muzzle loader/rimfire only. Killed a few with .22 lr (not counting hogs in a trap), .50 muzzle loader, 12 ga. buckshot, .270, 25-06, .257 Roberts, 30-30, .243 and a bow.

Back