What caliber for Hogs

Below is a short vintage video clip from a hog hunt way back in 1995. It was taken with the antiquated VHS camcorder, then transferred to digital for editing, so some quality of video is lost.

My son, age 14 at the time, did the shooting with the .444 Marlin and a 265 gr. Hornady Flat Point. This is the second hog to fall to that rifle and load. The scope is an old Weaver Micro-Trac 1.5x4.5.

This video was taken in the mountains of Tennessee.

Click on the photo to view the video clip.

Originally Posted By: guessOriginally Posted By: TwoSeventyOriginally Posted By: guessI've killed them with everything from a claw hammer to a .458 socom.

When you hunt with a claw hammer, do you use the run of the mill 16 oz. model, or one of the big 24 oz. framing hammers?

on the day in question, It was a 24 oz. framing hammer. way more reach that the 16 oz. It was a previously wounded and very Pizzed off hog! Self defense I say self defense! The wife had my rifle and I was in my work truck.

A few years back I killed one with a bumper jack. Ha. It was all I had with me. Hit him with the jack handle first but it just made him squeal louder. Slid the jack mechanism all the way down to one end and used it like an axe. That settled his hash.

Killed 4 last year with a handgun and .22LR. One shot each bang flops. Oh, forgot to mention they were in a trap. But goes to show what shot placement will do. If hunting, I'd go .06 unless you're really confident in your shot placement .223 in right spot and no problem.

I have only killed a half dozen large game farm boars and one monster wild sow in Europe..but I know guns lol I would say that a hard cast .44mag .444 or 45-70 would be great out of a fast accurate shooting lever action rifle..and it would be a great choice with the ammo shortages going on
I like the big hole on both sides of the critters with teath and claws...I use the .44mag in a 1894 with 300gr Ranchdogs at 1750fps in my Marlin 1894 and 425gr Ranchdogs at 1800fps with my 1895 for big bears!

Back