Point Blank Shots Finish Off Teen Intruders

On the other hand,Matt Dillon got shot or stabbed every Monday night for 20 years.Maybe giving the other guy the first shot is not the best plan.
I am joking of course.If anyone is acting threatening toward you or family you should be moving away if you can and better not let them get to close.There are way to many ifs and what ifs to make blanket statements.I am sure you have seen the videos of a knife attack from 21ft.The gun holder did not even clear the holster I don't believe.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistThere are way to many ifs and what ifs to make blanket statements.I am sure you have seen the videos of a knife attack from 21ft.The gun holder did not even clear the holster I don't believe.

For my classes shooting test one part of it was shooting from the hip at a close range target (think it was 5-6 feet). The instructor told us this was because most of your self defense cases happen to close to fully draw your weapon.

Every state does have different laws. The one universal across the land is that your actions will be judged as being reasonable, or not.

I think that I miscommunicated my intentions. My point was that, unlike global warming, the concept that you will fight how you train is universally accepted, known and proven. If you have the mindset that you are going to shoot everytime you pull your gun and empty it, then there is a very good chance that is exactly what you will do.

When cops carried revolvers an accepted range practice was that when you reload, you put your emties in your pocket so that you don't have to bend over and pick them up later. Guess what happened? Dead cops with six empties in their pants pocket. You fight how you train.

When they moved to auto loaders they found that the magazines were subject to damage from being dropped, so they taught to put the magazine in your pocket so you didn't damage it, or get it dirty. Did we not learn a lesson? Guess what showed up?

With the knowledge that a pistol is inherently under powered for human sized animals, we used to drill two to the body, one to the head. If you shot, you shot two to the body, one to the head. Have we not learned anything yet? I can't get 10% of shooters to pass a bullseye range, let alone expect them to make a head shot under the crushing stress of a gun fight. Why would we teach that? Why would we teach to fire three rounds and evaluate? That is what we will do in a gun fight. We have evolved to reactive, shoot/don't shoot, targets and the concept that you shoot until the thing that is trying to murder you stops trying to murder you and then you stop shooting. We own every round we fire. We can send more down range, if need be, but we can never call one back. If one shot stops the threat, great. If it takes three magazines, that sucks, but you shoot until it stops and then if you are out of bullets you beat it with your with your empty gun if a threat still exists.

My original point was that every situation is not universal. You can't say "this is what I am going to do, no matter what". If you perceive a deadly threat your hands should be as full of gun as you can get em, as soon as you can. Reaction time is our friend. If a guy were to start running at me with a edged weapon I hope that I have some reaction time and can start putting hits on target before he ever gets anywhere close to me. Starting to shoot at 30 feet in that situation is not unreasonable. Shooting him at 300 yards would be unreasonable.

It does not matter where you are, your actions must be reasonable. Sometimes, unloading your gun is the reasonable response. Scoring a first round head shot, that immediatley incapacitates your oponent and then continuing to shoot him is not reasonable. Shooting an intruder that comes down the basement stairs at you is reasonable. Putting a gun under their chin and finihing them off is not reasonable.

That is all.

Very well stated Steve!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: steve154 It does not matter where you are, your actions must be reasonable. Sometimes, unloading your gun is the reasonable response. Scoring a first round head shot, that immediatley incapacitates your oponent and then continuing to shoot him is not reasonable. Shooting an intruder that comes down the basement stairs at you is reasonable. Putting a gun under their chin and finihing them off is not reasonable.

Nowhere has anyone said to shoot someone after they are laying on the ground coughing up red foam. Empty the clip means you shoot till you're out or till you don't need to anymore. Me personaly, I don't want to have to empty the clip because it probally is not going to end good for myself.

Last edited:
That is a good point FB. Most people don't think past the point of pulling the trigger. If you consider the ramifications, from that point on, if you successfully stop the threat, your life will never be the same. You are now finding yourself engulfed in the system. Most likely you will not be going home. You are suddenly confronted with life altering choices. Do you talk to the officer or not? Many say no, talk to your attorney. Well then, let's see a show of hands, how many of us have a relationship with a top notch criminal defense attorney? How many of us have $50-75 grand lying around to pay his services? And if we go to trial at least triple that number. No big deal, that's what public defenders are for right? Bend over, put your head between your legs and kiss your azz goodbye. Those poor, well intentioned idealists are so over worked their main thrust is to get a plea to a reduced charge, it's that simple. I mean think about it, why would anyone who was good at their job, knew the system and how to work a jury ever settle for making a peanuts salary when they could be out earning an average surgeon with a large firm. You suddenly are facing a world that you never knew existed and that world is so screwed up that justice simply does not always happen. We only hear about the large, sensationalized stories like Casey Anthony and OJ Simpson, not the everyday smucks who end up screwed because they couldn't buy good representation and wound up in a 2 bunk cell being someones b itch.

There's much to think about before hand and getting your mind right before ever tucking that little snubnose in your belt. The right to carry involves much more than most realize, and may in fact include the right to screw up your life beyond anything you ever imagined.

Right AZ.I like a lot of others have taken a lot of stuff over the years by mouthy punks and such that could have had something done about them but it just ain't worth the trouble.

Good points. We do tactical shooting in all but our qualifying rounds. We also do active shooter training every year using Simunitions to make it realistic, although not as often as we should. There is also FATS training, using a FirArms Training Simulator, with interactive scenarios. If the perp is shot in the arm he continues at you with weapons until he is completely disabled, but can't use that arm anymore. It's very realistic, and it appears you are actually in the scenario. The old way of training sets officers up for deadly consequences.

Quote:Nowhere has anyone said to shoot someone after they are laying on the ground coughing up red foam. Empty the clip means you shoot till you're out or till you don't need to anymore. Me personaly, I don't want to have to empty the clip because it probally is not going to end good for myself

Actually, empty the clip means empty the clip.

I believe that you get what I am saying, but I came off the wrong way in my original response, which put you on the defensive. We are to the point that you are going to argue with everything I say, no matter how clear I attempt to make myself. I understand your reaction and apologize for my poor communication skills.

Quote:That is a good point FB. Most people don't think past the point of pulling the trigger. If you consider the ramifications, from that point on, if you successfully stop the threat, your life will never be the same. You are now finding yourself engulfed in the system. Most likely you will not be going home. You are suddenly confronted with life altering choices. Do you talk to the officer or not? Many say no, talk to your attorney. Well then, let's see a show of hands, how many of us have a relationship with a top notch criminal defense attorney? How many of us have $50-75 grand lying around to pay his services? And if we go to trial at least triple that number. No big deal, that's what public defenders are for right? Bend over, put your head between your legs and kiss your azz goodbye. Those poor, well intentioned idealists are so over worked their main thrust is to get a plea to a reduced charge, it's that simple. I mean think about it, why would anyone who was good at their job, knew the system and how to work a jury ever settle for making a peanuts salary when they could be out earning an average surgeon with a large firm. You suddenly are facing a world that you never knew existed and that world is so screwed up that justice simply does not always happen. We only hear about the large, sensationalized stories like Casey Anthony and OJ Simpson, not the everyday smucks who end up screwed because they couldn't buy good representation and wound up in a 2 bunk cell being someones b itch.

There's much to think about before hand and getting your mind right before ever tucking that little snubnose in your belt. The right to carry involves much more than most realize, and may in fact include the right to screw up your life beyond anything you ever imagined.

Extremely valid points. The geographical location will also make a huge difference on how things will work out for you. You could have an incident that would not even end up in fromt of a Grand Jury in one county and you would find yourself with a murder charge in the next one over. That has been my experience anyways. I am blessed with a correct thinking, decent guy for a District Attorney in my county and have seen many incidents of self defense killings that ended the right way. Not so much in other places in NY State.

They used to teach empty the mag in some places,but I think have gone to shoot till the threat stops now.A person just has to use common sense and hope for the best outcome.Once you pull the trigger most of it is out of your hands.

Back