Point Blank Shots Finish Off Teen Intruders

Teens killed in Little Falls linked to previous burglary

LITTLE FALLS, Minn. - Authorities say the two teens killed by a homeowner in an apparent break-in Thanksgiving day have been linked to a previous burglary.

Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel confirmed in a written release that a search of the red Mitsubishi Eclipse seized after the shooting of Haile Kifer and Nicholas Brady contained items reported stolen in a separate burglary that took place south of Little Falls in Little Falls Township

Kifer and Brady were both killed after reportedly breaking in to the home of 64-year-old Byron Smith near Little Falls. Smith is now charged with two counts of second degree murder after allegedly telling authorities he killed both teens with multiple shots, shooting Brady in the face after wounding him, and putting a bullet into Kifer's head after she laughed at him.

Sheriff Wetzel says deputies had contact with Nicholas Brady just before 9:30 p.m. on November 21, one day before he was fatally shot. A homeowner in Little Falls Township reported a car parked suspiciously near the end of his driveway on Hilton Road.

Brady allegedly told deputies that he and Kifer, his cousin, had been in the vehicle driving around when it ran out of gas. Brady said Kifer had left to go get more gas. Deputies then gave Brady a ride into the City of Little Falls. The car was left at its location on Hilton Road, which is close to a home on Arden Boulevard.

On November 25 the Morrison County Sheriff's Office received a report of a burglary at a home in Little Falls Township. The homeowner had been out of town for over a week and an acquaintance had discovered the break-in after checking on the home.

That homeowner reported numerous items were missing from the home including several bottles of prescription medication.

During the search of Brady's red Mitsubishi Eclipse deputies discovered six bottles of prescription medication bearing the name of the burglarized homeowner.

Sheriff Wetzel says the investigation into the fatal shooting and other burglaries that may be connected to it is ongoing.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/99989...evious-burglary

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerWow, it appears These vermin were no better than the triple amputee pen waving invalid.. Good riddance. Throw some dirt on em' and call it a day

^^^full retard mode

You may give an intruder a big kiss on the lip and you wallet and hope they don't stab you in the chest with your kitchen knife but I will rather chance a day in court than some addict in my house at night.

Only differance is I wouldn't need a finishing shot. When using deadly force you got to shoot to kill not wound.

Last edited:
Well...burglary/home invasion can be a very dangerous occupation. I'm most troubled by the homeowners description of the events...the old guy admits he executed the girl. I have no problem with castle doctrine but I have to believe that we all know that what this guy did was morally wrong.

Frozenbrain... In the future, if something similar occurs to you; stick to the lines like " I shoot to kill, not wound. I wouldn't need a finishing shot" and "good riddance" See how they work in your defense. In fact, there's no need to say anything, since you already have.

Anybody who has done any amount of training in the use of deadly force, is trained to use the minimal amount of force necessary to neutralize the threat. Based on what has been put out, most likely someone using a little common sense could have apprehended one, if not two criminals at gun point without incident..From personal experience, I can tell you it's amazing how compliant a potential adversary becomes when they're one upped by a man pointing a gun at them. unfortunately, not enough people know about this neat little trick and just handle the situation a guns a blazin', causing a bloody mess and great deal of unwarranted strife in their life .

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerFrozenbrain... In the future, if something similar occurs to you; stick to the lines like " I shoot to kill, not wound.

As a carry lic holder I was taught that shooting to kill gets you in less trouble than flashing a gun and scaring someone. Shooting to kill shows you were in fear for your life.

I see your kind all the time. You know the ones that have to be on the opposite side of every topic that everyone is discussing just so you can call youself a free thinker so you can hold yourslf on a higher pedestal than most everyone else.

I got an idea, go make some friends, add to a conversation without telling everyone how wrong they are and get a life.

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerShooting to kill implies that your main objective is ending a persons life over self preservation.. You had a lousy teacher.

No it means you were in fear for your life. In Mn it is against the law to just pull a gun to scare someone if you have a carry lic. If you just pull it and flash it or shoot once you will probally be looking at charges against you because in the laws eyes you probaly really were not fearing for your life. If you pull it you better empty it.

If I am in MN and pull my gun and then the threat ceases to exist, I should still empty my gun? If the threat ceases to exist after one round, I should keep shooting anyways? I think MN needs some better CCW instructors.

Pulling a gun to frighten someone, without justification, is called Menacing in NY state and I suspect that every state in the country has laws against that. Pulling a gun in a deadly force encounter and then the situation de-escalates to the point that shooting is no longer justified and you don't shoot, is called common sense and is not illegal anywhere.

Originally Posted By: steve154If I am in MN and pull my gun and then the threat ceases to exist, I should still empty my gun? If the threat ceases to exist after one round, I should keep shooting anyways? I think MN needs some better CCW instructors.

Pulling a gun to frighten someone, without justification, is called Menacing in NY state and I suspect that every state in the country has laws against that. Pulling a gun in a deadly force encounter and then the situation de-escalates to the point that shooting is no longer justified and you don't shoot, is called common sense and is not illegal anywhere.

Some times common sense needs to be stated...i was beginning to think the prevailing wisdom was homicidal.

There are numerous scenarios that may require one to pull a weapon. However in Az, merely pulling a weapon as a threat is called aggravated assault and the results are ugly. Naturally it at times occurs when you fear for your life or that of another person and the act of producing the weapon causes the aggression to cease. Laws are all about who is interpreting them. We have found here that if such a situation arises the first person to call 911 and reporting the act is most likely to be considered the truthful one. If you pulled that weapon you better dam well be the one on the line with 911 explaining and waiting for the officer. If you don't and the other party calls, especially after you left the scene you will get a visit and likely a ride to jail.

First be certain before you produce a weapon that a reasonable person would consider your action credible. Second, shoot only until the threat is subdued. Third, and here's where many people in Az at least go wrong, you may not use deadly force in situations involving property. An example would be, you pull in your driveway and find a guy pouring gas on your house and preparing to light it. If you are certain someone is in the house you are within your right to use deadly force. If it can be proven that you knew or should have known no one was inside you most likely will be charged. I agree that this doesn't sound fair but regardless, that is the law in Az. And they love to charge people with gun crimes. I would strongly advise you to research similar case law in your own State to avoid potential problems however unlikely the scenario may seem.

I have always been a strong advocate for gun rights however recently the Legislature passed a bill and the Governor signed it stating any Az citizen can carry concealed w/o a permit or classes. I find this to be a double edged sword. Very few people take the time to seek the proper knowledge to understand the responsibility that comes with carrying concealed. I expect we'll see numerous cases of ignorance in the next few years.

Originally Posted By: steve154If I am in MN and pull my gun and then the threat ceases to exist, I should still empty my gun? If the threat ceases to exist after one round, I should keep shooting anyways? I think MN needs some better CCW instructors.

So you are going to pull your carry weapon and hope it de-escalates and not be the first to pull the trigger? If someone comes at you with a weapon and you don't shoot hoping they will change their mind is only going to get you killed. Mn has the law that way so you don't pull your weapon on someone that looks shady walking by or if someone says they are going to hit you. But I get it you are from NY, they probally let you carry but tell you to never ever use it.

By they way the instructor was a NRA certified instructor teaching what the state of Mn tells them to teach.

Last edited:
Quote:So you are going to pull your carry weapon and hope it de-escalates and not be the first to pull the trigger? If someone comes at you with a weapon and you don't shoot hoping they will change their mind is only going to get you killed. Mn has the law that way so you don't pull your weapon on someone that looks shady walking by or if someone says they are going to hit you.

By they way the instructor was a NRA certified instructor teaching what the state of Mn tells them to teach.

That is not what I said. I said what if your justification no longer exists? Look at it without thinking quick draw at high noon. The scenarios that I can come up with that would justify me pulling a gun are unlimited. A guy is threatening with a knife, a bat, a tire iron, whatever. He is at a distance that gives you reaction time and you pull your gun. He drops his dangerous instrument when he sees your gun and disengages. The ratio of armed citizens pulling their weapons to defend themselves and pulling their weapons and actually shooting someone is probably thousands to one.

Mn is not special in making it illegal to pull a weapon on someone becasue they called you a poopy head. It is illegal everywhere. It is all about justification and what a reasonable person in your shoes, knowing what you knew at the time, would do.

I seriously doubt that the state of MN and the NRA want CCW instructors teaching their students that they better shoot if they pull their gun and that you should empty it to prove that you were really scared.

Very interesting how they were involved in the other home invasion(s). After reading that, I definately say no bill for the guy and probation and time served for the girl.
I think what he did to the girl was wrong. It's a tough situation, but I couldn't send a man to the pen when these people were intruders in his home.
The headlines could have just as easily been how the authorities found this man dead in his home. As all criminals should know: If you live on the edge, eventually you are going to fall off. It's a risk of the profession and the law of averages finally caught up to them.

Quote:You have to have a lot of respect for a man that will give the other fellow the first shot.Matt Dillon always did that.

Yep, that is exactly what was said. I really think some of you guys need to review your use of deadly force laws before you end up in a cell next to the hero in this story.

Originally Posted By: steve154 Quote:You have to have a lot of respect for a man that will give the other fellow the first shot.Matt Dillon always did that.

Yep, that is exactly what was said. I really think some of you guys need to review your use of deadly force laws before you end up in a cell next to the hero in this story.

I think you need to realize that every state don't have the same laws as NY.

The way you talk I bet you carry without having one in the tube. Makes about as much sense as not firing when someone is coming at you with a weapon with the hope that they just decide not to kill you.

Her's the way I see it. If a thug is coming at me with a weapon less than a gun I'll pull my gun on him. If he drops the weapon and retreats then no shots fired. If he keeps coming with a weapon then I'm firing center mass. If he has a gun then again, I'm firing center mass and will try to get the first shot off. When the police arrive and question me I'll respond with "I'll gladly talk to you after I've spoken to my attorney."

Originally Posted By: frozenbuttI think you need to realize that every state don't have the same laws as NY.

The way you talk I bet you carry without having one in the tube. Makes about as much sense as not firing when someone is coming at you with a weapon with the hope that they just decide not to kill you.

also makes as much sense as wiping before you poop

Back