25 06 or a 260 for deer hunting

varmit_master

I have a tikka t 3 lite in 25 06 has a nikon 4x12x40mm on it. I use it coyote hunting too I love the set up. A 85 gr bt. But 3 of my friends run my 25 06 down saying it isn't half the deer gun as a 260 is. They all shoot factory ammo. Showed them the groups my gun is shooting but they wont shoot with me. Told me I needed to sell the 25 06 and buy a 260. As much as I looked the 25 06 out does it. Am I wrong. I am not selling my 25 06 just because they don't like it. VM

They are idiots. The 25-06 is a fine deer cartridge. If you like it and shoot it well it would be stupid to change. Plus if you are hunting both deer and coyotes with one rifle you become very proficient with it

If you try to "keep up with the Jones " you will wind up spending more time and money trying to impress folks instead of actually hunting. Go forth and ventilate the critters with a 25 cal hole and let your uninformed friends shoot what they want
smile.gif

Last edited:
Well your friends are nuts. Both are good but I would give the edge to the 25-06 from a performance perspective . I do like short action guns for being handy and if you didn't have a gun already it might be right for you.

They are MORONS, simple enough. Haven't seen 25-06 yet that won't drop deer. They shoot factory ammo and probably hang around Cabelas too. Next time one of those idiots says something stupid back hand the crap out of him.

I'm not a .257 fan of any kind and would prefer the s/a 260 for deer to the 25-06, and a 7mm-08 to either.

That said, I agree with the rest. Your friends don't have a clue. The 25-06 will kill deer as dead as you please all day long.......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI'm not a .257 fan of any kind and would prefer the s/a 260 for deer to the 25-06, and a 7mm-08 to either.

That said, I agree with the rest. Your friends don't have a clue. The 25-06 will kill deer as dead as you please all day long.......

This is strangely exactly how I feel. All aspects.

So....

+1!

I've shot deer with bullets from .223-.475 in diameter. With the right bullet and good shot placement they are not hard to kill IME.

My cousin's wife in the Upper Peninsula is recoil shy. She takes deer every year with her old Savage .223 and plain old Remmy 55gr Core-Lokts. I'm talking large northern whitetails here, not the little puppies you see down south.

My second to last buck was taken via 223 and 70gr TSXs......

nothing new to add here but I do like the sound of my own voice, so here goes; if you were shopping for a new gun, yeah I would recommend the 260, I am a fan of the short action stuff especially the 308 based rounds.

I have a 257 AI that killed its first deer last weekend (my middle son's first), and I am starting to fall in love after having shot it a lot recently. Pretty close comparison in fps between 25-06 and 257 AI, just different shaped brass and a little more powder in the 06.

This really sounds like the old 270 and 30-06 banter. They are tools and if used appropriately, they will both do their jobs satisfactorily. The difference in either your or my examples is so minimal as to be laughable.

Tell them to put up or shut up. Challenge them to a little match shooting. A case of the winner's choice of adult beverage perhaps???

That's it they wont shoot with me they talk how great there guns are. But they wouldnt show how they group. They think the Remington core-lock is the best ammo out. Try to tell it would shoot flatter than a nosler bt. Don't get me wrong I have many deer with rem factory ammo. But I will use a bt on a deer anyday. I am not trading my 25 06 off just because they don't like it. I love that gun great deer/coyote gun. I will stop hanging around them everything they have is better everybody else. They made fun of my of me for buying a ar. I would shoot gun for gun with at tack driver.

Prejudice is a sad thing. Especially when it is applied to cartridges.
A .25-06 is a fine cartridge. So is a .260. To each their own.
If they persist...I would look elsewhere for shooting companions. That is harse to say, but sounds like they are just wanting you to verify their choices. Pretty insecure if you ask me.

I am sure the .260 is wonderful. But so is the .25-06.
If only one cartridge or flavor of ice cream were the best, wouldn't we all be eating chocolate? You'd go to the store and the freezer would have all the vanilla and strawberry and carmel ripple you wanted but the chocolate would always be gone. To each their own.
Shoot what makes you happy. Sounds like you found it.

re

Sorry, but they sound immature, childish, and foolish.

I have several different calibers of guns and like shooting all of them, just depends on my mood as far as which one I grab. I'm a big fan of 25/06 and haven't had any trouble cleanly taking a deer with it ever. Last year I shot a buck at 450 yards with a 120 Fusion. It was quarting to me slightly, so I had to shoot it through the front shoulder. The bullet went through the front shoulder and still exited behind the far side shoulder. I'm at a complete loss as to what point they are even trying to make?

How's this for too small for whitetail? 221 fireball, 50g Sierra and a 90ish yard shot...stone cold dead in its tracks. I've shot deer with the 221, 223, 243, 308, 30-06...honestly couldn't tell a difference in either one and neither could the deer...keep the 25, and find new friends.

1321114543.jpg

1317489765.jpg

Ty getfoxy nice looking gun and deer and calls. I can't count the deer I have taken over the yrs with my 22 250 now get to try out my ar this season. Looks like u like g loomis fishing rods to? VM

Both good calibers. Have a preference for the 25-06. Had a Browning mdl 78 in that caliber. Was one of the deadliest rifles I've owned. Kill just about anything you want to, out to 250 yds. Took it to South Africa and killed, several Blesbok, 12 Springbok, 1 Mountain Reedbok, at 300 plus yds, 1 Black Wildebeest at 250+ yds. Don't remember what else. All one shot kills. Most of the Springbok were shot at night with a spotlight and all head shots off the back of a pickup. That's how culling is done for fun and profit. We killed 67 Springbok that night. My buddy was shooting a vintage Sauer in 7 x 57. The two guys driving different pickups were shooting 243's. Doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you can shoot it. Cheers, Ottway

Rather have and use the 25-06 anyday, oh wait, I do!

260 will not drop deer as fast as a 25-06, extra velocity the 25 generates gives it a bit more shock, not to mention a little more pop.

I would ignore your friends and keep using the 25-06 for deer, however I might recommend you switch to the 100 or 115g NBT for little extra penetration.

Nothing wrong with the 260 for deer either, but I could think of 20 other cartridges I'd rather use...Not much a fan of short actions or calibers myself.

Try jumping a big buck in the trees or sagebrush and tell me you think the little 221 fireball will put em down...I think not...Unless you were to get lucky and hit him in the head or neck, you'll be wishing you had something a little bigger...

22 cals will kill does and smaller bucks if there unalarmed and thats about it. Not something you want to take out hunting if your looking for a bigger buck and have one jump up in front of you.

I have never shot a 221 rifle before. Would like to. I know what a 22-250 with a 55 gr nosler bt will do to a 10 pt with a 19 1/2 wide chasing a doe. Get him a free ride to the house on the 4 wheeler.

Back