looking for a big bore thats fun

Ernest II

Ive always wanted a 45/70 Marlin 1895 CB. At least I think so.I want a big bore that just gets peoples attention at the range.I also want one just to have fun and blow up[ water jugs out to a couple hundred yards. And maybe someday get to hunt with it.Im leary of getting a 45/70 only because I think the recoil would be so much I would regret buying one. ANy suggestions or comments(experience). Im 55 years old and dont want to screw my shoulder up just to get a few moments of fun from such a weapon. SHould I just forget the big bore fun and stick to my 243 and 35 rem?
Thanks
Daryl P.

Yep. I found one and its a Pedorsoli I beleive. I may be wrong on that. It sure looks nice and has the tall adjustable tang sight. It is a rolling block action.wouldnt take me much to trade my RRA for it since I would still have a coyote gun. Dag gone thats a thought. They are saking $1100 for it.I will finds out what it is. Do you think it would be accurate enough or are there some brands to stay away from.
Thanks
Daryl P.

Last edited:
There was a guy shooting that same gun at the 700 yard steel last sunday with his little 45-70 sharps copy w/ tang flip up sights, hit it each time, no wind that day.
Id go with the 50-110 to make a 'BIG' impression myself.

Get one they are fun, you can load it down very mild or load it up to very wild. I have a Marlin CB 45/70 and a Shilo Sharps 45/70 I would say the Shilo is the most fun to shoot especially with black powder loads and at the steel buffalo at 1000yrds,
I have shot a few Pedersolli's and they are fine rifle. Don't worry about the recoil there are ways to tame it down.

shiloh004.jpg

shiloh005.jpg

big bores are fun.. ive shot a bfr revolver in 45/70, it was great... as far as the range ... my 30-378 wby mag seized fire one time, and shook the awning at ben avery...it was great!range master said fire and there was various pops and bangs...then i let the cannon sing and there was a 5 second pause at least..then at target check time everyone came over...good times...!!!lol!

I have a lot of big bore lever guns and love them all. If you want to get called dirty names at the range, get a ported one.

Got a couple big bore handguns too that I really like.

Here is an original Remmy rolling block with Shilen half-octagon tube. 45-70. Pretty cool gun.....

009-3.jpg

010-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

Ive got the marlin cb, and I love that thing! way too much fun and the recoil isnt bad at all, the gun handles remarkably well considering the length.

Actually If you dont want to be able to hear folks call you dirty names at the range get the ported one.

I had a ported guide gun, lasted one season and got rid of it, it was so uncomfortable to shoot even with muffs on.
I would strongly advise against one LOL

my brothers sharps is pretty fun as well but really heavy for lugging around.

To bad I did not know you were looking.I just sold a sharps45/70 and a Winchester high wall 40/65.Both original except had Snover barrels.Would have been perfect.Oh well.

Here's a nice one.
http://www.gunblast.com/BillyDixon_Sharps.htm

When I worked as an RO there used to be an old fellow who shot a beautiful old black powder Sharps. (45/90 IIRC).
Occasionally I'd spot for him at the 500yrd gong, and I can tell you I sure wouldn't want that old boy shooting at me with that beast.
I'm pretty sure I had as much fun watching and talking to him about the reloading procedure as he did shooting the dang thing.

For Big Bore Fun, a Sharps replica would definitely be my choice.
Luck

I have an old Remington Rolling block 45/70 with an extra heavy Neumrich arms barrel that I love to shoot. It is to heavy to cary far but there isnt much recoil at all. I also got a chamber addapter from a fellow in Anchorege Al. to shoot .45acp. Thats prety fun to.

Rich.

You might as well go all the way and get "the disease" and get a .50 Beowulf. It is an awesome gun/caliber. Gets attention at the range. You can tame the recoil and make it fun to shoot. Just think of a 45-70 in a semi-auto carbine...

I've got a Remington Rolling Block in 45-70 with a .22LR insert. The 22 LR has about the same ballistics as my 45-70 loads so it can be used for practice.
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-LeeShaverGuns/-strse-13/.22-adapter-22-barrel/Detail.bok

Since mine is an original, it must be used with Black Powder only. The recoil isn't bad at all but I was worried about it when I bought it. As far as long range shooting with the 45-70 check out
http://www.researchpress.co.uk/longrange/sandyhook.htm

There is nothing like a big cloud of FFG along with the sound of 70 or more grains of black powder going off at the range.

Rollingblock005.jpg

2012055.jpg

Originally Posted By: weneedtooI have an old Remington Rolling block 45/70 with an extra heavy Neumrich arms barrel that I love to shoot. It is to heavy to cary far but there isnt much recoil at all. I also got a chamber addapter from a fellow in Anchorege Al. to shoot .45acp. Thats prety fun to.

Rich.

Do you know if those 45ACP adapters are still available? That would be cool.

Originally Posted By: JerrySchmitt

2012055.jpg

Gotta love any rifle that requires a plastic mallet to operate.
grin.gif

Seriously, that's a beauty!
And who doesn't like the smoke and smell?
Nice, very nice.

Back