looking for a big bore thats fun

I've got an older Marlin 45/70, and it is lots of fun to shoot. I don't think the recoil is bad, shot a few deer with it too, works real well for that. At our range it knocks the steel plate off the hanger, only rifle I have seen doing that.
Barry

I also have an older Marlin 45/70 and enjoy shooting it. I use Reloader 7 with 300 grain Barnes Originals. I have killed many many deer and hogs with that old rifle. It is nowhere near being the prettiest or the most valuable rifle I own, but I plan on it being one of the last rifles I part with.

I have a nice custom in .416 Taylor for sale. Ruger 77 CRF Action, McMillan Stock, Gryfon Barrel w/ Holland style Brake.

You can't go wrong with a 45-70, whether it's a roller or a Sharps or a lever they are all wonderfull and lots of fun. Get some or learn to cast same bullets and it gets even better. You can go from round ball "cat sneeze" loads to 550 grain long range (1000 yards is long range for me} that pack a seriuos punch on both ends. You'll never be sorry for buying a 45-70.

Richard

.500 A-Square:

500_A-Square_At_The_Pit.jpg

I have a '76 Marlin 444S Big Bore that is the last gun I would ever sell. This beast is a blast to shoot, (265gr. Hornady Inter-lock handloads) and has killed 7 deer in the last 4 seasons. The grin after shooting "Thumper" lasts for almost a week, LOL. When this gun is fired at the range, the first words from other shooters is "What is that". Enjoy any of the Marlin big bores(444, 45-70, 450)----Riflemann

Last edited:
Not old school like many of the fine rifles here but my 1895 GBL is a kick in the pants to shoot. I use H322 in it for full house loads but anymore, I use trailboss.

With Trailboss, it's like shooting a 410. When the light conditions are just right, I can actually catch a glimpse of the bullet heading downrange
smile.gif

cooper-marlin.jpg

I also agree with the .444 suggestion. I have a first year production .444 Marlin and I use the 265 gr Hornadys in it. It is fun to shoot and I was impressed with the accuracy I got from it and my 1895 45/70.

Own a 43 Spanish Remington rolling block. Can use 45-70 (trapdoor) reload data for it. Its a hoot to shoot and does not punish you. With a more modern rifle like the 1895CB Marlin, 45-70 loads are heavier. However as suggested already, you can download to Trapdoor loads or even use a powder like Trail Boss to lob your bullets downrange with a minimal felt recoil.

My wife is 5'3" and 125lbs, she shoots a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun, pushing Hornady Leverevolution 325grn FTX's to 1800fps (about 2300ft.lbs.) and says it "recoils like butter". It's really a joy to shoot. Pushing up to 2100fps (handloading to Marlin max specs) is pretty potent, but she handles them well. She doesn't use any kind of recoil pad, other than the factory pad on the rifle. She has it outfitted with a Harris Bi-pod and a Bushnell Elite 3-9x40mm scope (soon to be replaced with a turret scope).

I took a 300lb 160class whitetail with it this past winter at 250yrds. I was just going along with my wife so I didn't have my rifle, but she wasn't comfortable shooting that far in the low light (last 10min of shooting hour), so she passed off her rifle to me. Held about 4" above the tips of his rack to account for 30" of drop over 250yrds. Double lung and heart, ran 30yrds, jumped a fence, and crumpled...

CIMG1340.jpg

It is hard to beat a 1874 sharps or 1885 high wall chambered in any of the 32,38,40,44,45,or.50 cal old straight walled cases. I have a 1874 shilo #3 in 45-90 and a 1874 shilo #1 in 45-70. Also have a 1885 high wall in 405 win and a 1885 high wall in 45 colt.They are all a hoot to shoot!!

If you don't want to spend much on a bigbore try out a H&R single shot in the 500S&W magnum. You can shoot 300-700grn bullets out of it and it really packs a wallup. I get some looks whenever I shoot it. Definitely the hardest kicking gun I have owned.

Back