Sleepy as [beeep]!

littletoes

Went out last Monday, and had a heck of a time staying awake on stand...didn't help that it was slow, very little action, and warmer than I expected. In fact, I tried to find shade not only to be more camo'd, but to stay out of the direct sunlight too.

What tricks do you guys use to stay away on days like this???

Maybe I just don't get enough sleep at night....but its been that ways for years.

I guess, if I'm swatting flies, and picking ticks off, that'll keep me awake!

I get real sick with B vitamins, so I'm real chicken to try the 5 hour energy drinks! Guess I should have remembered my coffee.....

Nobody else must have trouble staying awake?

\when I have clients, it takes about 2-3 days and they are sleeping on stand.
They are a long way from home, so a couple lete nights with a few drinks of JD coupled with early mornings and it's easy to fall off to dream land.
I also have a 'chair' that I put my clients in. The chair is on the ground and has a great back support, so they just stretch out and lean back while I play the dying rabbit blues. Pretty soon they are snoring.

One time when Byron south was up for a hunt he was giving me the gears for falling asleep on the stand. I would blow a series and immediately start snoring. snore for a couple minutes, snap to and call again. He tried to sneak around the big hay bale to "SURPRISE" me, but it's hard to sneak up on a guy who is pro.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

As long as you're having fun, it's all ok. If it's warm and sunny, sometimes it's hard to fight the urge to stretch out on the side hill and have a nap.

As long as you're not calling wolves or bears I wouldn't worry.

This past weekend there was a guy who died in his car. a black bear dragged him out and fed on him for a while and then buried the body. I don't have all the details but it sounds like the guy died before the bear came along.

Be careful out there. Remember we are all part of the food chain.
tt2.gif

REDFROG-Thanks for your honesty!

I think quite a few folks just don't want to admit this can be a problem. For me, and the guys I hunt Predators with, we get up real early, drive for hours, then hike several miles in rough terrain to get our calling in.

Since 28 minutes seems to be our lucky number, we try and never leave a stand before that.

I've always told folks, I'm like a shark...I stop moving and I fall asleep....well-some sharks have to keep swimming, or they die.

I work a lot, and have never slept well, but as long as I'm moving, not many folks on the job site can keep up with me...but let me stop, and oh Lord...

I usually work all day then hunt Coyotes in the evening so it can be tough to stay awake and those 5 hour energy aren't something I want to try out....I usually just pack a Coke along or one of those Monster Sodas that wind You up for a few hours and don't hurt You by making You nervous or on edge!

If I hunt in the mornings and get tired I've been known to quit calling and take a Nap,something about being in the outdoors makes me relax and sleepy!
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Now if I'm Deer Hunting and get up at 4:00 AM in the early mornings to gear up and get in my stand before daylight then hunt til around 12:00 noon and I get sleepy up in a 15-17 foot ladder stand I climb down and make a little ground blind to hide me and I take a Nap...no way will I sleep in my stand unless I'm secure in a 4-point harness will I attempt to fall asleep up there!

Last edited:
Those 5 hr Energy drinks dont do nothing for Me that a Hot cup of Black coffee wont do. Its a waste of $3 IMO. I work from time to time at night, Foldgers and Maxwell House is the ticket.
grin.gif

I'm too young for thet Coffee stuff. It's 5 hr in the morning for me, and usually a Rockstar for the ride home.
I to have fallen a sleep while hunting. Not so much Pred hunting but Deer hunting I have a few times.
I think it's just the piece and quiet that puts me to sleep.
I've had some of my best naps while hunting.

Last edited:
Redline isn't "pleasant" to drink like redbull or rockstar. Those don't do anything to alert me. This stuff is hardcore and works like a Champ!

I too could fall asleep any where any time, I've tried everything.. Once drank a five hr energy drink at around 1pm, and I was in the passenger seat napping by 1:30....

Just like said before I think a good night sleep is the ticket!!

Last weekend I fell asleep during a lull calling coyotes about 1pm. It was sunny about 75* and been up since 5am and laying out in front of a rock face ....yup snoozed for an hour and woke up to a coyote 300 yds in front of me. So I cant complain. I do not do any of the energy drinks myself ever.

One time while hunting moose in northern Ontario with a buddy of mine we came upon a really nice looking swamp. We sat down on a little hillside where we could keep an eye on the whole swamp in case a moose showed up.

The horrendous crash brought both of us back to reality and on our feet ready to fight. We had both fallen asleep and a beaver chewed through a very large tree and laid that sucker down right between us.

a wake up call in more ways than one.
lol.gif

I get the nods everytime I get in a treestand and bowhunt. Nothing like that warm October sun on you after a chilly morning and a gentle breeze rocking you to sleep. I enjoy the naps. When I'm predator hunting, I'm so much on edge, I can't blink. I think it is because I have bowhunted much more and been more successful than predator hunting and am less excited about it. I carry a Nintendo DSI and play games during boring stretches on the deer stand. Not sure if it would work for predators, but it passes the time in the deer woods.

Many years ago i backpacked into a high mountain lake to do some trout fishing. I went mid week so i would have the lake to myself. Sometimes there were a few hikers in on the weekend.
It was a grueling hike for about 6 hrs and I had my dog with me for company. He was a big grey malemute male, about 120 lbs with a huge head. He looked very much like a timber wolf.
as I broke the alpine on the trail, I guess the dog could smell the lake a couple hundred yards farther up the trail and he ran on up.
I heard a blood curdling scream and dropped my pack as i ran to the lake. Here was a guy there by himself, naked sunbathing. He was sleeping when the dog came up on him. The dog licked his face and the guy opened his eyes and thought he was wolf lunch.

I explained the dog was harmless until dark and we had a laugh, but he packed up and left.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: RedfrogMany years ago i backpacked into a high mountain lake to do some trout fishing. I went mid week so i would have the lake to myself. Sometimes there were a few hikers in on the weekend.
It was a grueling hike for about 6 hrs and I had my dog with me for company. He was a big grey malemute male, about 120 lbs with a huge head. He looked very much like a timber wolf.
as I broke the alpine on the trail, I guess the dog could smell the lake a couple hundred yards farther up the trail and he ran on up.
I heard a blood curdling scream and dropped my pack as i ran to the lake. Here was a guy there by himself, naked sunbathing. He was sleeping when the dog came up on him. The dog licked his face and the guy opened his eyes and thought he was wolf lunch.

I explained the dog was harmless until dark and we had a laugh, but he packed up and left.
lol.gif

Oh did you go blind after seeing that yuk..

getting sleepy on stand is an indication to me that you're not expecting any action. Ya gotta change your frame of mind and tell yourself that the action "should be" showing up at any moment. In other words, give yourself a reason to stay alert.

My brother also took a nap one year while hunting deer. He woke up to a nice 3x4 walking right past him. It's his best deer to date. Lucky SOB

Back