300 AAC Blackout 220gr suppressed

The Duke

Does a 220 grain have enough energy at say 100 yards to effectively drop a yote. I believe it only has like 550 ft lbs at the muzzle. it is a subsonic load.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The DukeDoes a 220 grain have enough energy at say 100 yards to effectively drop a yote. I believe it only has like 550 ft lbs at the muzzle. it is a subsonic load.

What do you think?

To make a long answer short, yes it will. People have been killing thicker skinned, larger game sized animals, with this round at the same distances and farther. I would be willing to bet that a 220 grain bullet from the .300 Blackout at 100 yards would be devastating on a song dog. I'll be ready to test my theory as soon as my tax stamp comes back for the AAC 7.62 SDN 6 suppressor.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceOriginally Posted By: The DukeDoes a 220 grain have enough energy at say 100 yards to effectively drop a yote. I believe it only has like 550 ft lbs at the muzzle. it is a subsonic load.

What do you think?

To make a long answer short, yes it will. People have been killing thicker skinned, larger game sized animals, with this round at the same distances and farther. I would be willing to bet that a 220 grain bullet from the .300 Blackout at 100 yards would be devastating on a song dog. I'll be ready to test my theory as soon as my tax stamp comes back for the AAC 7.62 SDN 6 suppressor comes back.

Tom youre gonna love that 762 sdn-6.....

You don't have to worry about energy or velocity loss in subsonic as they're very efficient below the speed of sound, but the rainbow trajectory will get you. You're basically bow hunting at an extended range. The bullets will not expand and most likely tumble and create a knife type wound channel passing through the animal.

Retooferab, what's your experience from shooting that buck? Nice buck BTW.

The bullets didn't expand! I shot it through the heart and it continued to run. I shot it two more times in the neck. I recovered one of the bullets. I'll try to get picture up of it. I am going to get some bullets that are designed of sub sonics the year!

On a different subject, what cockpit is that in you profile pic Lou? I fly a Beechjet.

Might want to look into these... They look NASTY.

I copied this over from another forum.

link
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3786033.msg36065225

[quote author=P1ZombieKiller link=topic=3786033.msg36065225#msg36065225 date=1335151292]
I built a 300/221 subsonic gun last year, and now that Texas has passed the approval to hunt game with supressors, I have decided to work on a good load that I could hunt deer with. My gun shoots consistant 1.5" groups at 100 yards, and occasionally will shoot some .50 - .75 groups. While this is not benchrest quality, it's pretty darn good for a bullet only traveling 1050 fps. Since I shoot 200 SMK and 210 VLD's like that, these are not the ideal hunting bullet (not really at all going that slow).

I have done some research on a few other sites, and there are few companies (individuals) making .308 bullets exclusively for subsonic use. I ordered a few, but think I have found the one I want after a few tests this weekend.

Lehigh Defense is the bullet I have choosen to use. I have choosen the 200 grain Maximum Expansion .308 projectile. I just did my first test this weekend, and MAN was I impressed. The bullet weighed 199.9 grains on my scale right out of the box. After shooting this bullet into a 5 gallon bucket full of sand, it weighed 199.6 grains and was .845" after full expansion. Thats 99.9% weight retention and 274% expansion all at subsonic speeds.

Pretty impressive if you ask me. This is their promo pic.
200ME-SS.jpg

http://lehighdefense.com/ME-Bullets.html

Below is my actual pic from the shot described above.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3786033.0;attach=886749;image
[/quote]

that look cool too. The only problem I see is shooting at night. I dont EVER shoot anything is daylight hours. So I bigger objective than normal. Now I would be curious to see / hear how well that does though!!!

Back