Is a 400 yd + Shot Really That Hard???

"Is a 400 yd + Shot Really That Hard?"

Speaking only for myself, YES!
lol.gif

I like em at shotgun range with my rifle and spitting range with my shotgun.

I've made the 400 yarders (and beyond) and feel dang good when I do it (and kinda lucky).. I have to think with the fine equipment Skinny is using, and the time he has put in getting to know his equipment, it would be much easier and a guy would have a lot more confidence in himself to make those shots.

Originally Posted By: calling4lifeDoesn't hurt to have a what... $10,000 custom rifle setup, given can, gunsmithing, custom parts, and scope.
if this weapon system was 10K it sure as heck wouldn't be a custom 260 built on a rem700 action... i would be thinking of the bigger picture, such as Surgeon, topped with a S&B equipped with the H58, but i'm glad it looks like a 10K piece to you... I Personally take that as a compliment thanks!!!

Well Fellas,
over the weekend, it happened again...
Sneaking into this set, knowing the northern 2mph breeze was all wrong, gave us no other option to get to these coyotes, being they were due south of us, I personally figured we could get them into kill range before they caught a wiff, and once again my luck prevailed...
Setting out the decoy i spotted 2 dogs,
2spotted.jpg

once I got higher in elevation I realized my brother already had 3 in the screen of the AX2000,
3coyotes.jpg

using my concauction of decoy, hand, and e-call brought these dogs to within 350yds, if you look @ the left dog, you can see his nose in the air, all it took was one air particle and he was gone,
thesmell.jpg

I pushed the pup in distress and stopped the two trailers @ 410yds, giving me time to hold 6.5mins and send this dog into the death spin.
410ydkill.jpg

you can see to the top left side of the screen on the skyline where we made our set in the soap weeds.
interview-2.jpg

as many of you know, you can be camo to the tips, but it aint the dogs only sense!!!
snipers.jpg

As always fellas ENJOY!!!

You say you guessed 350 to 400 yards? I'm seeing a difference of 10" of drop between the two, so if you factor in luck the answer is no.
wink.gif

I would have been more impressed with a lasered, and dialed 250 yard shot with the wind factored.
smile.gif

Check out the long range hunting site if you want to be amazed. Lasered 1700+ first round hits are not the long shots on that site.

Originally Posted By: skinneyWell Fellas,
over the weekend, it happened again...
Sneaking into this set, knowing the northern 2mph breeze was all wrong, gave us no other option to get to these coyotes, being they were due south of us, I personally figured we could get them into kill range before they caught a wiff, and once again my luck prevailed...
Setting out the decoy i spotted 2 dogs,
2spotted.jpg

once I got higher in elevation I realized my brother already had 3 in the screen of the AX2000,
3coyotes.jpg

using my concauction of decoy, hand, and e-call brought these dogs to within 350yds, if you look @ the left dog, you can see his nose in the air, all it took was one air particle and he was gone,
thesmell.jpg

I pushed the pup in distress and stopped the two trailers @ 410yds, giving me time to hold 6.5mins and send this dog into the death spin.
410ydkill.jpg

you can see to the top left side of the screen on the skyline where we made our set in the soap weeds.
interview-2.jpg

as many of you know, you can be camo to the tips, but it aint the dogs only sense!!!
snipers.jpg

As always fellas ENJOY!!!

Nice hunt skinny...

Like the camo you use...

Tell me about the rifle and caliber you are using ?

Originally Posted By: spiaailliYou say you guessed 350 to 400 yards? I'm seeing a difference of 10" of drop between the two, so if you factor in luck the answer is no.
wink.gif

when you shoot as often as us, your guesses somehow become reality... and what ballistics are you running??? do you have my load data, my elevation, my station pressure, my temps, my velocity, my 20 degree angle, my personally calculated BC??? from 350 to 400 is a little over 1 MOA with my DOPE and area I was shooting... you may see a 10" difference, but I am GETTING more like 4" differences in the field... and wind??? thats why i run a high BC round, I live in SD, & know how to shoot in wind, thats why i don't touch the windage turret when I can get just as accurate results by holding into the wind, depending on the gusts and velocity its blowing.

Originally Posted By: Gerhard

Tell me about the rifle and caliber you are using ?

i posted more about it above, but its a custom remington 260!!

Originally Posted By: dan brothersPush past it all Skinney... it's all good...

what are you ranging them with..

for the skeptics, this unit will range well beyond 5K,
DSC00341.jpg

I ranged a moving semi @ 6K a few months ago, no problems ranging coyotes over 2K... I have video of shooting moa targets out to 1200 using the V, along with my Trimble, and kestrel, truing my ballistics as well as like i said earlier, sending thousands of rounds a year, it makes for a accurate, deadly combo!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: calling4lifeDoesn't hurt to have a what... $10,000 custom rifle setup, given can, gunsmithing, custom parts, and scope.
if this weapon system was 10K it sure as heck wouldn't be a custom 260 built on a rem700 action... i would be thinking of the bigger picture, such as Surgeon, topped with a S&B equipped with the H58, but i'm glad it looks like a 10K piece to you... I Personally take that as a compliment thanks!!!

You don't think that reticle would get in the way at all? Say, those 3 coyotes, you shoot one, trying to pick up another, but they're exiting quick. Wouldn't that reticle make it hard(er) to pick them up?

I was looking into it myself, would be great for calling your own misses, I just thought, in the real world, quick target acquisition may be hindered, all the lines may obscure the target at times.

Originally Posted By: calling4life
You don't think that reticle would get in the way at all? Say, those 3 coyotes, you shoot one, trying to pick up another, but they're exiting quick. Wouldn't that reticle make it hard(er) to pick them up?

I was looking into it myself, would be great for calling your own misses, I just thought, in the real world, quick target acquisition may be hindered, all the lines may obscure the target at times.

personally no, because if your are able to take one dog out at mid range, and the others bolt, a coyote moving over 30ft per second your are gonna need a real lucky guess on hold over, as well as lead, you can get by "guessing" a distance if your only a minute or so off @ mid range on a still shot, but when a dog is @ 400 when you shoot, and in 5 seconds he's almost another 100yds+ and moving, tuff very tuff, with or without a good reticle... taking one that holds up @ 400yds + is good, but taking a double that far (on the move) is amazingly great!!!

Nice shooting, I am a farmer from illinois and having land that lets me shoot out to 1000 yards really lets you have respect for guys like you that make those long shots,not to mention first shot kills. Anything past 500 with some wind is pretty rough. Keep killin.

skinney all this long range stuff is giving me a headaches. im too stupid for it so I just get them under 2hundo and put the X on them
smile.gif
good stuff though!

Originally Posted By: getemcloseskinney all this long range stuff is giving me a headaches. im too stupid for it so I just get them under 2hundo and put the X on them
smile.gif
good stuff though!
Roger that buddy... it makes for better footage as well!!! BUT what happens when my max point blank is a 300, and my round is a few inches high @ 150yds... am i still gonna be getting all the hate for killing, but hitting inches from my POA??? LOL!!!

Nice pictures again skinny, I wasn't able to give you a call when I was in Rapid City over my weekend very little cell service. Nice shooting and hunting hardware..

Originally Posted By: cyoteklerNice pictures again skinny, I wasn't able to give you a call when I was in Rapid City over my weekend very little cell service. Nice shooting and hunting hardware..
maybe some other time, give me a ring... i'm going to try and have a couple booths at the gunshow in Rapid this april if the weather permits!!!

Only 4" drop from 350 to 426 that your range finder showed? I knew your caliber cause you told us what it was. Even if I go way over pressure on that round...well, you know.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: spiaailliOnly 4" drop from 350 to 426 that your range finder showed? I knew your caliber cause you told us what it was. Even if I go way over pressure on that round...well, you know.
smile.gif

NO!!! this is what i said, don't try and "finagle" my words...
Originally Posted By: skinneyfrom 350 to 400 is a little over 1 MOA with my DOPE and area I was shooting... you may see a 10" difference, but I am GETTING more like 4" differences in the field...

this is a great forum, and regardless who you are or who you may know, someone is better or knows more, which is why i am always willing to learn, and definitely not quick to argue... but seeing older posts of guys, having hissy fits over fmj's or my 6.5 round making a pencil hole and the target runs 100yds before its dead, or thinking they know my ballistics better than me, while i still somehow manage to get the HD video kill footage to prove it, tears hunters and people who love this sport apart... sure i've taken longer shots, and killed more than most, but who are you to say my dope doesn't change from location to location, when i killed my 520yd coyote on video this year i didn't use the same hold over i do @ my practice range, simply because i was engaging @ an angle and didn't need as much up... all i'm sayin is this... just because i exposed what round i use, does not mean that YOU have ANY idea my location or hold over needed in the areas i hunt. I'm not sure where you are from, but just this year alone i've taken shots with angles steeper than 45 degrees factored in... I'm sure you know this also changes your POI.

skinney a 45 angle GREATLY changes your POI. Target shooting and shooting while in the field are allot different. your factoring in so many different things they cant be compared. sure target shooting is going to help you ALOT when you get out in the field but its ALOT different in the same sense...

Originally Posted By: getemcloseskinney a 45 angle GREATLY changes your POI. Target shooting and shooting while in the field are allot different. your factoring in so many different things they cant be compared. sure target shooting is going to help you ALOT when you get out in the field but its ALOT different in the same sense...
couldn't of said it any better myself, IMHO too many guys plug in the ballistics on their itouch or smart phone or EXPECT to make first round hits using their custom bdc turrets, go ahead try it.. but your not gonna get the results you are looking for until you do what we do and shoot ALOT, in different locations, conditions, and scenarios... i've come to conclude, no matter what you do, or how well you do it, there are always skeptics, put em in the back of your mind, and before you know it, i'll have another kill twice as far, using, wait... what... dope that is not the same as someone else's pda... LOL.

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Lots of heat on the guy who consistantly makes great LR shots on video and is kind enough to post his pics up and tell us about from guys who dont do any of that. Hmmmmm...........Haters are usually jealous, but whatever the reason is you cant argue with results. The proof is in the pudding. But then again you can argue with stupidity and there is a lot of that on this site and others by self professed experts.

Keep it up skinney, i for one enjoy the pics and the stories and strive to become as proficient as you fellas. You should post up better pics of just you rifle and setup brother, i need something to drool over.

Fin

Back