Is a 400 yd + Shot Really That Hard???

skinney

Director
Packing up my equipment i set out on another solo mission... to kill more coyotes.
making my set on the side of a bank, laying prone in some tall sweet clover, i let the call break the silence, only having time for one set, i opened the display of my HD camera and waited...
shooter.jpg

20 minutes later... i hear the familiar noise of dogs panting... knowing they were close i zoomed the camera out and tried my best to bark and stop this pair that were coming in WAY to hard. (one dog top left of decoy the other top right)
2hardchargers.jpg

both winded the call, knowing i was screwed, i hit a distressed coyote, and held one up... (black spot just high and left of the middle post)
400ydszoomedout.jpg

with a little zoom...
400ydszoomedin.jpg

a quick glance in my NP-R1 gave me the assumption this dog was 350-400yds, so i held 5.5 minutes and the vapor trail followed, taking the dog down with it...
faceplant.jpg

its hard to see but through the rangefinder reading 426yds you can see the black line that is the bank i was shooting from.
426range.jpg

another dog down,
interview-1.jpg

As always fellas, ENJOY!!!

a 400 yard shoot isnt difficult. most people just dont take the time to practice long ranges and know where their guns hit. i shoot out to 600 alot. with my ballistcplex in my scope i am confident if i know the distance.

Originally Posted By: Displayed Name Have you used this snow guillie before. Good deal and if guillies are your thing I can tell you from seeing others in it, it blends really well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/782513/ameristep-3-d-poncho-polyester-ameristep-snow-tangle-camo

just click on the snow pattern

i'm sure your intentions mean well, but i don't roll with the ranchos, although they may break up your outline, they are clearly ghillie monstered out (over ghillied) i like to match my surrounding, so i customize my synthetic veg by dying, and fill the rest with natural... best way to go IMHO.

Originally Posted By: 30 CALNice! What kind of camera are you using your pictures are always top notch.
these are all still shots of 1920X1080 HD video footage i took!!!

Originally Posted By: andy221What cartridge and rifle are you using
custom built Remington 260, this is the 6th dog i've taken over a quarter mile this year with this rig... i WILL get a legit HD video LR kill sooner or later, just waiting for the opportunity... i have the scope calibrated, rings lapped, the base bedded, the action bedded, custom barrel, action blue printed, lugs lapped, worked up the most accurate load i could, i've ran the ballistics, and trued my trajectory via the POI method as well as BC tweekage, and most importantly i have over 1k rounds down this rifle since the end of june, so i am getting a little trigger time with it... this weapon system is now capable of making first round hits from 400 to 1200 on an MOA target, "if" i can do my part.

Last edited:
nice rifle kollincoyote.

I suppose a 260 makes a 400+ yard shot it a little easier than with rifles like my 221 fireball, but still takes a lot of practice I know. I must say nice shootin man!

The right cartridge, on the right platform with good optics, and a steady shooter, 400 yards is not a problem.

Some Joe off the street, shooting a Wal-mart special, right off the rack, no experience, I would say DOUBTFUL.

We see it in competition shooting all the time.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoThe right cartridge, on the right platform with good optics, and a steady shooter, 400 yards is not a problem.

Some Joe off the street, shooting a Wal-mart special, right off the rack, no experience, I would say DOUBTFUL.

We see it in competition shooting all the time.

Pretty much my sentiment.

Heck, from what I thought I read about the egg shoot, several, about half of the shooters missed it at 150 yards. They had trouble hitting it 1 out of 5 tries. I guess it was about a MOA target at that distance, and it was stationary. Obviously there are those who can and did hit it.

Plus I guess I have to consider those that make a good kill shot on the animal and those that are content to just hit it, somewhere.

Quote:..this weapon system is now capable of making first round hits from 400 to 1200 on an MOA target, "if" i can do my part. I have several rifles that will hold one minute to 1000 yards +. The problem is "doing my part". I don't know anyone who can reliably pull off a one shot one kill on a 12 inch circle at 1200 yards, but I know a boat load of shooters who routinely shoot 2 moa targets out to 500-600 yards under "normal" field conditions.

To answer your question, no a 400 yard shot on a coyote is not hard if you have the gear and the dope.

Last edited:
Back