Need a yote gun

IrishHick

Lookin at getting a coyote gun
just dont have much money to spend i wiuld like to stay under 450-550. with a scope
.......finding some guns but there brands ive never heard of...so any suggestions or guns for sale let me know

Last edited:
Oh boy... probably could use that Custom Google Search at the top of this page for all the arguments, ect. in the archives about the Mini-14 rifles and save some wear and tear. They have been cussed and discussed here quite often. Personally, I've had a couple and neither would cut much under 3" groups at 100 yards. And I've never seen any other one do it either. If that would satisfy you, go for it, they are reliable enough. If that sort of accuracy won't do, save your pennies for a decent AR style rifle.

I had a friend put enough into one to buy two ar's and he still had to have luck on his side to get 1moa. Enough said
crazy.gif

The mini is good for close calling. Honed calling skills will make the rifle look good.
Have heard many times the new target mini is much better.

A good yote gun is any gun you can kill 'em with.
thumbup1.gif

Stevens 200 or a Savage Axis are good relatively inexpensive alternatives.
smile.gif

I've put down allot of coyotes with a mini, but ever since I aquired an AR the mini's aquired allot of dust. You can buy a ar platform rifle for what a mini would cost you.

Blech! Thats about the only word that describes a jam-o-matic 6000 (Mini). They are innacurate, unreliable piles of fecal matter. IMO

Originally Posted By: utah_1911Blech! Thats about the only word that describes a jam-o-matic 6000 (Mini). They are innacurate, unreliable piles of fecal matter. IMO

Well gee, tell us how ya really feel.
tongue.gif

laugh.gif
Ronnie I forgot to mention to you but some questions are better left unasked here on PM. Just try to refrain from asking anything about using a .22lr/.17hmr/.22 mag for coyotes, they usually end up in name calling and locked threads.
wink.gif

Unless I'm mistaken, the AC556 Paramilitary Mini-14 only has a 12"-13" barrel, not including the flash suppressor.
I have a 183 series Mini-14 Ranch Rifle with a 18 inch barrel, no scope and I really like it. I try to limit my shots to about 100 yds +/-. A 13" barrel is very short for any decent range shots very accurately. Could you take a yote with it, Yes. If you can get him in close enough.

I found these stats about the Mini your lookin at.

Max/Effective Range: 656 ft.
(200m; 219 yds)

Last edited:
A 12" barreled AR will make it out to 500 yds no prob. THe velocity wont be there but barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy. Mini's arnt known to be tac drivers..

My mini has served me well and done a decent job for the past
5 years or so. No problems, no jams and it's accuracy was
decent. Good enough to put coyotes down at 100 yards or so.

It's only drawback was a crappy trigger but that could be
solved with a trigger job.

I'd use my mini for 100 yards or less on a coyote. It's not very accurate but I feel I could run just about any ammo in it and have it go boom. That said, there are other guns that can hit a coyote reliably from 100 yards.

The mini will do fine as a calling rifle, I had one it was okay...but if you plan to shoot more than 3 rounds, your going to have to wait an hour for that barrel to cool so you can do it againn LOL.

Seriously though, the NEW minis are far better than the older ones most have given up on. They are still not as accurate as an AR. Mags and other accessories are also far more available for the AR. (mini mags kinda suck)

You can switch uppers/barrels On an AR, not so with the mini.

For the amount you will spend on a mini, you are pretty close to an AR already, heck, some minis are 750.00, I think I paid 800ish for my Oly K16.
and for the time/effort/$$$ you spend getting the thing to shoot, well youve already gotten into good AR pricing.

If you find out you hate the mini..well, its hard to dump them for a decent price.

The mini is a good reliable gun, just not a great one, but itll do the job.
Ive owned a mini, shot some others, and still have a mini 30 tactical (love it) so im by no means a mini hater, just giving you an honest answer.

Mini's are fine callin guns but at today's prices (even for older used models) there are better callin guns. Personally, I think the era of the Mini past us buy when they started pricing them above $350 or $400.

CB

I want to know from those of you who are saying the Mini is a good calling rifle what the basis of that claim is? They are only accurate to 100 yards or so. How does that make a good calling gun? Put a good choke on your shotgun with some 3 1/2" Dead coyote loads and your only about 30 yards short of that range with a shotgun. So how is that an effective calling rifle when the whole point of carrying a rifle is to reach out and touch the coyotes that hang up at 100+ yards?

Back