Need a yote gun

I had a mini 14 once. it was not accurate or reliable. after the extractor broke off, I fixed it and got rid of it. enough said.
Barry

Never seen one yet worth a darn. My buddy had one that was a horrible shooter with no matter what load he made for it.

Originally Posted By: utah_1911I want to know from those of you who are saying the Mini is a good calling rifle what the basis of that claim is? They are only accurate to 100 yards or so. How does that make a good calling gun? Put a good choke on your shotgun with some 3 1/2" Dead coyote loads and your only about 30 yards short of that range with a shotgun. So how is that an effective calling rifle when the whole point of carrying a rifle is to reach out and touch the coyotes that hang up at 100+ yards?

Basis of my claim is years of experience with them..
Got my first 1 around 1980. Got my last 1 about 5 years ago.

Originally Posted By: utah_1911I want to know from those of you who are saying the Mini is a good calling rifle what the basis of that claim is? They are only accurate to 100 yards or so. How does that make a good calling gun? Put a good choke on your shotgun with some 3 1/2" Dead coyote loads and your only about 30 yards short of that range with a shotgun. So how is that an effective calling rifle when the whole point of carrying a rifle is to reach out and touch the coyotes that hang up at 100+ yards? You really do not want to hear the truth.

A Mini is a good bullet hose, its fun to light it up into the side of the mountain. A good coyote gun, absolutely not. I had one when I was younger before I knew much about rifles, but it didnt take me long to figure out it was not an accurate piece, and it would FTF frequently. RJM it sounds like you have owned more of them than I have, but I would still never recommend one to a fellow hunter....one that I like at least :)

Originally Posted By: IrishHickLookin at getting a coyote gun
just dont have much money to spend i wiuld like to stay under 450-550........finding some guns but there brands ive never heard of...so any suggestions or guns for sale let me know

Well since you edited it, this now changes the whole dynamic of the thread...so we arent talking about mini's anymore?

For under 550.00 check out a Howa 1500, awesome bolt gun if that is your thing and they make them in many different calibers to suit whatever youd like.

Instead of editing your first post next time just post a reply, it will keep your thread easy to follow and understand for anyone else that wants to join in and help. Sometimes people dont read the actual first post and they just post based on what the last person said.

Ill try to add some details for y'all. IrishHick is trying to get started into coyote hunting but doesnt quite have a gun thats suited for it weve been talking about it and what hes going for right now is the biggest bang for the buck. Hes been looking at something like a Model 1 sales Upper ontop of either a Plum crazy lower or if he can build one for cheap enough a normal lower.

Ive been throwing out there the guns that I know fall into his price range but I cant quite for sure say if they are good or not.

Weve been looking at: (all guns in .223)

-Stevens 200 (no comment)
-Savage Axis (ive been reading good stuff about them)
-H&R handi rifle (can someone comment? all i know is my grandpas H&R shot about minute of milk jug but maybe it was just a lemon)
-model 1 upper on lower TBD
-Mini

Out of the current list what would be the biggest bang for the buck.

Originally Posted By: utah_1911A Mini is a good bullet hose, its fun to light it up into the side of the mountain. A good coyote gun, absolutely not. I had one when I was younger before I knew much about rifles, but it didnt take me long to figure out it was not an accurate piece, and it would FTF frequently. RJM it sounds like you have owned more of them than I have, but I would still never recommend one to a fellow hunter....one that I like at least :)

Ruger retooled the mini line about 5 years ago.
Mini's made after that are accurate enough.
Only thing I don't like about mine is the trigger.
I could have fixed that with a trigger job but never got around
to having it done.
My 1st mini wasn't nearly as accurate.

Originally Posted By: the noobieInstead of editing your first post next time just post a reply, it will keep your thread easy to follow and understand for anyone else that wants to join in and help. Sometimes people dont read the actual first post and they just post based on what the last person said.

Ill try to add some details for y'all. IrishHick is trying to get started into coyote hunting but doesnt quite have a gun thats suited for it weve been talking about it and what hes going for right now is the biggest bang for the buck. Hes been looking at something like a Model 1 sales Upper ontop of either a Plum crazy lower or if he can build one for cheap enough a normal lower.

Ive been throwing out there the guns that I know fall into his price range but I cant quite for sure say if they are good or not.

Weve been looking at: (all guns in .223)

-Stevens 200 (no comment)
-Savage Axis (ive been reading good stuff about them)
-H&R handi rifle (can someone comment? all i know is my grandpas H&R shot about minute of milk jug but maybe it was just a lemon)
-model 1 upper on lower TBD
-Mini

Out of the current list what would be the biggest bang for the buck.

From people that I know that have an Axis they love them. No interest in a Howa huh?

Ive never looked into Howa. If they fit the price range it can be added to the list.

(only Howa's Ive ever seen were in the $1,000 range
blushing.gif
)

Get the stevens or the Axis for a very low budget.

I suggest saving up and going with something a little better and especialy more money on the glass.

I would get a Tikka T-3(515 shipped from buds gunshop), CZ 527, or A Savage with accutrigger.

Throw on a Leupold VX-2 2-7 or 1-4 They are on closeout everywhere and that makes it a good deal.Don't skimp on the glass and the rings. A gun is pretty dang easy to build and have it shoot moa these days. Glass has tight tolerances and tiny, delicate moving parts. Even a stevens deserves a vx-2.

Skip the mini 14. If you want a semi caugh up the money for something that is going to shoot MOA without a bunch more money and time.

Last edited:
I have used everything you could imagine to shoot coyotes and have hunted and called/trapped for over 35 years here in Southern Idaho. I reload and found the absolutely ideal gun to shoot coyotes with and very accurate cheap to shoot and very fast. I use a 17 Remington center-fire and it is the best varmit gun I have every used or owned. I have used my 220 swift, 223, 22-250, 5mm mag, 270, 243, 6mm, and the 17 center fire is the best for not blowing a hole and saving hides. I have never lost a coyote yet with it and have shot 100's of coyotes with this gun. Most of the time you can't even see where the bullet entered the hide other then when you move the coyote around some blood might trickle out of the pencil lead size hole. The damage to inside of the coyote is awesome and explains why they are dead when hit by this stick of dynamite. I can't say enough about it. DEADLY!!!!!! 204 is every bit as good a gun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223A 12" barreled AR will make it out to 500 yds no prob. THe velocity wont be there but barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy. Mini's arnt known to be tac drivers..

Without attempting to start a fan fire here, 500 yds, really from a 12" barrel (with accuracy)??? Barrel length has a lot to do with accuracy. Lets stick to what the fella is askin. Effective ranging and dispatching of targets and how far a round will go with terminal velocity are two different things completely. I have a Mini-14 and am not just saying what I heard thru the grapevine or what I read in another post somewhere. At 100 yds +/-, yes there very effective and will easily hold 3" groups. If you can wait a little and the bug hasn't bit you to hard yet, I'd look for somethin in the range of 16"-18" for a little more consistency. The Mini-14s are great for taking out and sending 3-5 rounds down range to dispatch what ails ya. "Fire at will, I'm not Will".

Last edited:
Back