Great RED LED Long Range Weapon Mount Light Setup

SkyPup

I have been using the Elusive Wildlife Technologies XLR-250 RED LED flashlight with two 18650 3,000 mAh batteries and it is an excellent hand held scanning torch for lighting up retinas. I also just ordered a green led replacement module from Jeremiah too as I hunt both coyotes and wild boars at night on my property.

The XLR-250 has a great red output out to around 225 yards which is excellent for me as that is the maximum range of my carbine weapon system (SIG 556), but I like to use it for a handheld scanner instead of a weapon mount.

However, I also have an Olight M-20 Crimson with one 18650 3,000 mAh rechargeable Lithium Ion battery that runs for almost 3 hours per charge on my SIG 556 as a weapon mount for taking the actual kill shot out to 225 yards. It is an awesome killer setup!!

The combination of using both of these RED LED torches works out perfect!
thumbup1.gif

Olight%20M20.jpg

KillLight%20250%20Olight%20M20%20Crimson.jpg

KillLight%20XLR250%20Olight%20M-20%20Crimson%20Comparo.jpg

KillLight%20250%20Olight%20M20%20BeanShot.jpg

dog_color_vision.png

Canines see the same color spectrum as a Red-Green Color Blind Human does....

Instead of seeing the rainbow as violet, blue, blue-green, green, yellow, orange and red, dogs would see it as dark blue, light blue, gray, light yellow, darker yellow (sort of brown), and very dark gray.

In other words, dogs see the colors of the world as basically yellow, blue and gray. They see the colors green, yellow and orange as yellowish, and they see violet and blue as blue. Blue-green is seen as a gray.

Last edited:
Just to be sure that everyone understands:

Even though the coyotes, foxes, etc. cannot see red or green light (they basically see it as gray) they still can detect the differences in contrast as well as any movement, so remember that and be careful out there in the dark with your slow to adapt night vision retinal ganglion cells.....

They is no off season, so bang 'em 24/7/365!
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
I like how wide the beam of the M20 crimson looks compared to the XLR250. In my opinion it makes for a much more effective scanning light.

interesting, and useful post! one question, where did you get the extension for the 250 that allows you to use two batteries? Does this make the light brighter, or does it just extend run time?

Originally Posted By: SeanEinteresting, and useful post! one question, where did you get the extension for the 250 that allows you to use two batteries? Does this make the light brighter, or does it just extend run time?

You can get the extension from Jerimiah or Elusive Wildlife Technologies for the extra 18650- Li-Ion battery to extend the run time, it does not make it any brighter.

I personally have not had either of them on non-stop for over two hours so I really cannot comment on the run time except to state that they both will do 100% for two hours at least.

The throw on the XLR-250 does beat out the smaller Olight M-20 Crimson by about 25 yards or so but the difference in overall performance is minimal. They are both great RED LED torches that compliment each other well if you are using both of them.

I have the M-20 mounted on the handguard rail of my carbine and use the XLR-250 for hand scanning. The off and on switch on the XLR-250 is either off or on, but the M-20 works well on the rifle as it has a momentary on without turning it on constantly.

I really like them both!

Last edited:
Here is the XLR-250 extension tube for a second battery:

http://www.elusivewildlife.com/products.htm?section=22&p=productMore&iProduct=428

I believe you can also get one by calling or writing Jerimiah as he is very helpful with these things:

http://shop.boondock-outdoors.com/Elusive-Wildlife-Technologies-products_c2.htm

Here is the Olight M-20 Crimson:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m20-crimson.html

These lights make great Christmas presents for the Predator Hunters in your family too!

Just to let you know the 100 model kill light has a wider mode floody beam just like the olight.

The 100 model kit is only $99.99 and comes with batteries, charger, pressure switch and mounts also. Just sometning to think about. I have no experience with the olight at all, but have many many satisfied customers of the 100 model kill-light.

Also I do sell the battery extension for $14.99 delivered(these are for use with single mode XLR250's only as the extra battery will damage 2 and 3 mode led modules.

Jeremiah

Yes, I neglected to mention that my KLR-250 is the single mode model, so it will accept the double 18650 batteries without any problem.

Jeremiah is shipping me a GREEN LED replacement module for it so I can change it out between hog and coyote hunting and have some more range for it.

My hunting buddy and I both bought XLR 250s but we haven't had the chance to use them yet. I hate the scope mount that came with it. Any suggestions on making my own mount for use with 1" tube scope? Also have you seen a noticeable difference between hog and coyote reactions to either red or green lights? My XLR is green. Thanks

last nite was the first nite i used the xlr 250s.I was amazed at the range of critter id when using the green.The green is much brighter than the red with 2 times the range.The green also will cut through tree branches alot better wear the red would scatter.the only draw back green did not shin eyes near as good as the red.For 6 hrs of hunting we never had to change battries in none of the 3 lights we had.We were useing 4000 batteries.I am amazed at these little lights,my 3 niteforces will probly be collecting dust this year.

Originally Posted By: littlebassWhere did you find 4000 batteries? Never heard of those.

Most likely he meant 3,000 mAh batteries....

18650 Lithium Ion Recharagable batteries come in a variety of different capacities, they all put out 3.6-3.7 volts when fully charged, but their Milli Amp Hour designations range from 1,300, 1,400, 1,600, 2,400, 2,600, 2,800, and 3,000mAH.

The 3,000mAh are the most powerful and take the longest to charge and also last the longest per charge.

18650 stands for the size of the battery, 18mm diameter and 650mm length...

Last edited:
Got my Green Led drop in module for the XLR-250 from Jerimiah, very nice - thank you very much for hunting one out for me!

Got my T/C all set up for night hunting using an Olight M-3X XM-L White Led with a green glass filter and an Olight M-20 Crimson Red LED both mounted on the scope ring picitanny rails.

Both the Olights have momentary on or full on switches and run on 18650 3,000 mAh Lithium-Ion rechargables.

Am using the KLR-250 Green LED mounted on a tripod beaming out over my caller and decoys.

Works like a charm out to 225 yards!
drool.gif

TC%20Night%201.jpg

TC%20Night%202.jpg

Those are Burris XTR scope rings with the integral picitanny rail mounts built into the top ring section.

Also, those are fresh oranges in the background of the top photo!
tt1.gif

Last edited:
Back