Looking for a varmint rifle??

I just bought a Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1 in 22-250 and that thing will shoot, but if you really want a versatile varmint gun, consider the good 'ol 243 Winchester. My Tikka 1 in 10 twist in 243 can shoot 55 Noslers or 70's or the 95gr plastic tip hunting bullets, all sub-MOA. 55's doing 3800+ to 95's right there around 2,900 or 3,000 fps. That's a wide range of 'varmint' potential, all with better performance in wind -- but not necessarily very fur friendly.

Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsIm GUESSING, mind you just a guess, but i think it was a typo and he meant to say "I know a 22-250 CAN put down a coyote". or at least i hope thats what it was
I love your signature!!

Someone didn't get a hug this morning.

Trapper Luke- Ive think that for what you want to do the .243 Win. is your best bet. Shouldnt have any problem with those 500 yard coyotes and the 6mm oughtta buck the wind pretty good. Since you are reloading maybe a .243 AI with a fast twist.

Not taking anything away from the 22-250 or the Swift but I think the 6mm is the logical choice here.

Yeah, buckeye special, you're sounding very similar to another Ohio reisident, bro. And, Dude, he isn't on here any longer.

Back to the OP, I'd agree with Gary. A nice and heavy bbl 6 mm would be sweet. Set up a 243 AI to shoot 105+ gr pills and have a day. Their aren't too many Wood/Rock chucks, ground hog whatever that will crawl off from that! Unless it's those Armour plated guys. They can be a PITA!

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialMr. Trapper Luke:

Please don't call me "bud" (or dude or bro, either)as we have never met.

How about , Cuz or Man or Mr bud ?
wink.gif

While I love my .223s,if you want horse power .243 will nock the snot out of them all !

A .243 running 70 NBT's will make ground p-dogs easy. It will kill R-chucks, G-hogs W-chucks, whistle pigs, marmots or whatever you want to call them.
cool.gif

Alright thanks for all the answers so far guys. I do got a question for you AI guys I never been around them or looked much into them heck knowing that AI stands for Ackley Improved is about as far as my knowledge goes. Can someone explain to me how I can go about turning a regular 243 or whatever caliber into an AI?

Trapper Luke, before you get your heart set on the .243 just remember that it is a HOT round (much like the 220 swift). Barrel life could become an issue if you're using it on P-dogs and firing 1000 rounds in a day:) I'll stick with my .204 and .223 for prairie dogs and keep my .243 for coyotes!

The chamber is reamed to new dimensions which allow more powder. The brass is fire formed to the new dimensions in the rifle. You then use the Ackley die set for reloading.

Most improved cartridges have a more gradual body taper, and sharper shoulders. This is where the extra space comes from.

Most gunsmiths will take a turn off the barrel threads to insure good point contact on the shoulder(necessary for headspace during fire forming).

In the case of a 257 Roberts it will become the equal of a 25-06. Some Imporoved cartridges show better gains over the stock versions than others.

These days peop0le are just buying the short magnums, but Ackley calibers have a strong following. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

HM

Back