5.7x28

Cavtrooper94

Has anyone shot anything with one of these yet? I'm curious about terminal performance on predators and pelt damage. I'm thinking of using one of the new savage rifles chambered in 5.7 on fox,coyote, lynx, and possibly wolf.

Thanks Much

Tell me where you're shooting wolves and lynx in ky, I wanna go!!!

If I were shooting wolves i would want a little more horsepower

Last edited:
I'd want to smack a wolf a harder than that....

Alot of guys around here say their tough animals who can take alot of punishment. I wouldn't want to track a wounded, once or twice shot wolf through the timber.....

I have been patiently waiting for cmmg to finish the AR upper in 5.7...and waiting and waiting...Be a super duper fox,groundhog,coon round.

X

I've heard that Savage was having some sort of problem with their rifles chambered in 5.7X28 and have stopped production of em.
That was Internet gossip though, so it may or may not be true.

Not sure how big the Wolves in AK are, but here's a track from one of the Grey's the feds "Reintroduced" here in ID.
cat1.jpg

If the Wolves in AK are as big as these, you might want to rethink that choice anyway.
Luck

Yea, I had heard that Savage dropped to 5.7 from there line up as well. Cant remeber where though- perhaps savageshooters?

Kinda disapointed, thought it might have some merit as a bobcat/fox cartridge.

Originally Posted By: mtnkid85

Kinda disapointed, thought it might have some merit as a bobcat/fox cartridge.

Maybe, if one was just looking for something different.
Personally, I don't see that it would do anything the 221FB, or even better the 17FB wouldn't.
That's just me though.
Different strokes, JMO, YMMV, Etc, Etc.

Quote:Yea, I had heard that Savage dropped to 5.7 from there line up as well.

Bummer if it is true. I wanted to try it in a normal rifle. The .221 is ok but lacks freedom of choice in factory offer.
The .223 is just too popular and for good reason.

Originally Posted By: tripod3 The .221 is ok but lacks freedom of choice in factory offer.

Not sure I understand.
Exactly how much more "freedom of choice in factory offer" would the 5.7X28 have?

Quote:Not sure I understand.
Exactly how much more "freedom of choice in factory offer" would the 5.7X28 have?

Pretty simple if Savage followed through the 5.7 would have been available in factory bolt and semi auto rifle plus semi auto pistol. Pretty good for a young round that has a fairly strong following and much new interest.
The .221 has been around for decades with few offers despite interest. In stark contrast the .223 is offered in countless rifles anywhere.

Judging from the cartridge dimensions and estimated powder capacity I would believe it would compare to the 22 Hornet. I also noticed it called for a .222 bullet, same as the old 22 Jet, that would really limit the bullet choices. I do think it would be an interesting cartridge to play with.

Called Savage just now and the 5.7x28 has officially been dropped from the 2012 catalog. The individual I spoke with didnt know why so I cant shed any more light on the topic

i would not shoot a wolf with one. a Healthy wolf in AK can weigh the same as a full grown antelope doe through the weight of a big bodied antelope buck. so if you think along those lines it should answer your question. On top of the size issue, they are extremely strong and muscular and solid built. Coyotes get wounded and run off with 22cal CFs with bad shots, and a wolf is significantly bigger so personally i would go no smaller than 6mm

JMO, YMMV

Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsCoyotes get wounded and run off with 22cal CFs with bad shots,

Coyotes get wounded and run off with .30cal CF's with bad shots too.

Not often, but once in a while it even happens with a 17hmr.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesNot often, but once in a while it even happens with a 17hmr. NO Thats immpossible

Back