5.7x28

Why aren't you in school?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsCoyotes get wounded and run off with 22cal CFs with bad shots,

Coyotes get wounded and run off with .30cal CF's with bad shots too.

Not often, but once in a while it even happens with a 17hmr.

indeed they do, ill rephrase. Animals get wounded by a whole range of caliber both big and small, so its best not to use what i personally would consider a marginal round for the species you are pursuing.

Originally Posted By: tripod3Purely rumor(imagine that) but I heard there were some accuracy problems with the 5.7 Savage. Bummer

The person I spoke with today mentioned that if Savage isnt happy with the performance of a firearm, they wont release it. So that would lead me to believe that accuracy wasnt to their standards.

I just wish someone would come out with a bolt rifle in this caliber. It would really be a hoot for a prairie dog town

I once bought a FN 5.7x28 Pistol.
Used Factory FN Ammo, it fired and fed flawless.
Groups were 8"-10" at 25 yards.
I no longer own a FN 5.7x28.
End Story.

Last edited:
The only reloading data I could find on the 5.7 was in the Lyman manual, they used an FN pistol with 4.75" barrel as opposed to a 10" 22 Hornet. I added 100 fps to the 5.7 and came up with 70% performance of the hornet. I would assume with a 40 grain bullet you would be about 2000 to 2200 fps. That is real close to the performance of a 22 magnum. A 22 hornet might be a better choice.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43The only reloading data I could find on the 5.7 was in the Lyman manual, they used an FN pistol with 4.75" barrel as opposed to a 10" 22 Hornet. I added 100 fps to the 5.7 and came up with 70% performance of the hornet. I would assume with a 40 grain bullet you would be about 2000 to 2200 fps. That is real close to the performance of a 22 magnum. A 22 hornet might be a better choice.

Here are two other bits of load data I have found:

Ramshot Load Data

Accurate Powder Load Data

Only problem is this is for the Five Seven pistol as well, and I dont know if there is much difference in the rifle load

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have said that I used data for a 10" barrel pistol for the hornet specs as a comparison. Hope that sheds more light on the subject.

Back