Remington 5r mil spec 223 with the march 8-80 power scope.
No need to leave the living room, you can shootem from the couch with this rig.

Your welcome Bob, thanks for being a part of Predator Masters. Folks can learn at any age, and 60 ain't too old.

If your of a mind, I do like just about all of the "Predator" offerings by all of the current rifle manufactures.

It seems they listened to someone....

I carry and use a heavy barreled rifle 'cause that is what I have.

Good luck to ya Bob
thumbup1.gif

Seriously, whats wrong with some of yall? I have been following Bob.17's posts and Troll or not, some folks here have been acting like idiots toward the man. If he's a Troll he is doing zero harm in his questioning anyhow. There has been debate for eons both inside and outside the hunting community on what firearm kills what, and "is x,y,z caliber big enough to kill this or that?" and the threads are endless. A true troll or peta activist could easily use the search function and get all the juicy details they seek here without asking simple and vague questions like bob. IT'S A PUBLIC FORUM dummy. Anything you say can and will be used against you haha. Heck I know I have my fair share of stupid posts. If I were treated the way some of yall treat this guy here, I'd have left a long time ago and I would tell others how crappy the folks are when you ask a question. I understand that this is the internet and anybody can hide behind a computer but his posts appear genuine and harmless at most. Even though some people rag on him he is still polite and friendly. I'm kinda embarrassed at some of the sarcastic remarks and stupid comments I have seen. If you don't like, ignore? If you wanna answer, fine, but if he really is a newbie, don't knowingly dish out bad info for the sake of being a dick. That aint cool.

@Bob.17 Were a pretty tight knit group around here, so try not to get discouraged. If the guys around here feel like youre legit, they will eventually open up to you. As I mentioned before, this is a public forum so all our posts since the beginning of time can probably be read. If you are truly interested in hunting predators, there is a search button near the top of the page. Type in a few key words regarding your interests and you can bet there are plenty of discussions concerning your interests. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: TexasTexas95Seriously, whats wrong with some of yall? I have been following Bob.17's posts and Troll or not, some folks here have been acting like idiots toward the man. If he's a Troll he is doing zero harm in his questioning anyhow. There has been debate for eons both inside and outside the hunting community on what firearm kills what, and "is x,y,z caliber big enough to kill this or that?" and the threads are endless. A true troll or peta activist could easily use the search function and get all the juicy details they seek here without asking simple and vague questions like bob. IT'S A PUBLIC FORUM dummy. Anything you say can and will be used against you haha. Heck I know I have my fair share of stupid posts. If I were treated the way some of yall treat this guy here, I'd have left a long time ago and I would tell others how crappy the folks are when you ask a question. I understand that this is the internet and anybody can hide behind a computer but his posts appear genuine and harmless at most. Even though some people rag on him he is still polite and friendly. I'm kinda embarrassed at some of the sarcastic remarks and stupid comments I have seen. If you don't like, ignore? If you wanna answer, fine, but if he really is a newbie, don't knowingly dish out bad info for the sake of being a dick. That aint cool.

Originally Posted By: TexasTexas95@Bob.17 Were a pretty tight knit group around here, so try not to get discouraged. If the guys around here feel like youre legit, they will eventually open up to you. As I mentioned before, this is a public forum so all our posts since the beginning of time can probably be read. If you are truly interested in hunting predators, there is a search button near the top of the page. Type in a few key words regarding your interests and you can bet there are plenty of discussions concerning your interests. Good luck.

TT95, I ALMOST completely concur with what you say here. I have however been duped before in the past by posters that sound exactly as our friend Bob.17 here, and this is why I have been tight lipped with him thus far.

On the flip side of this coin, I have come to realize something that I had evidently forgotten and think many of us may have as well. I log on here on a daily basis and converse with guys that I am on first name basis with and consider very good and dear friends. To a newbie looking for the first time, who wouldn't want that? The only way for this to occur is to be active on the board and post questions and responses....Good or bad. Now, as to the term "Troll". I'm conflicted about the term because I know for a fact that when I first became a member here, there were people who called/thought me a troll....and maybe some still do. But what it boiled down to was that there was this great tight knit community here of people that shared a common interest, and I wanted some of that. I'm sure I asked some pretty stupid questions in the beginning and maybe even knew they were stupid to an extent. But everything I know about predator hunting I learned from this place and people actually ask ME for advice now (shocking I know) and I try to contribute to the best of my abilities here and it feels good to help when I can.

Again, I ask, Who doesn't want that? I have vowed to myself to try and be objective and try to remember where I was in my learning curve when I first became a member here and afford some leniency. That being said, I don't want to get duped again.

Bob.17, if you are indeed interested in learning...I would be glad to help in any capacity I can. If I ask you to elaborate, it's because I don't understand the question as it is worded. The guys here are both very knowledgable and friendly, but we have all been suckered in by people who are here to just stir up trouble, keep that in mind.

My post is so long that I have forgotten why I started it in the first place...so I'll end here.

Chupa

Quote:The posts are redundant, extremely vague, and almost come across as trollish.
Bob-If you are indeed legit, my apoligies..but I gotta feelin' our chains are being yanked...Gary, I thought you were too young to be so skeptical...
tongue_smilie.gif
... I'm like Chupa,, I knew next to nothing when I signed up here and everyone has been more than helpful through the years...All I can do is hope to pay it back...

Here is the truth as I see it Bob, as unsexy as it may be. 99% of all your shots on a coyote are going to be taken from under 200yds, if you're shooting farther than that, you're doing it wrong. So, "Heavy for caliber" projectiles just aren't a NECESSITY and thusly....so are fast twist barrels. Those of us that tinker with all of the exotic wildcat chamberings to make these 200yd shots are merely doing so because we love to tinker.....or stroking our egos to say I have something you don't (Including myself in this).

As far as a .223 is concerned, it's more than capable to kill a coyote with a well placed shot out to 200 yards and beyond.....providing that you use a suitable projectile. ANY 55gr .224 projectile that does not include the acronym FMJ in it's name will be up to the task, some better than others. My personal favorite is the 52gr Sierra Match King, but that is probably not a popular opinion. A 55gr Hornady V-Max is some serious coyote medicine out to those distances and will be "Stabalized" in any 1/9 or 1/12 twist barrel. Keep in mind that it is more than concievable that your rifle may not like what is the most popular and will have to look for a suitable alternative such as a Nosler Ballistic Tip or Sierra GameKing and the like.

Chupa

Bob, I hope you will accept my heart-felt apology.
I was one of the guys who, early on, said that I thought you were just someone pulling our collective legs...hence a "troll".
I will now, on record, state that I was wrong, and I am sorry I doubted you.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleQuote:The posts are redundant, extremely vague, and almost come across as trollish.
Bob-If you are indeed legit, my apoligies..but I gotta feelin' our chains are being yanked...Gary, I thought you were too young to be so skeptical...
tongue_smilie.gif
... I'm like Chupa,, I knew next to nothing when I signed up here and everyone has been more than helpful through the years...All I can do is hope to pay it back...

Well, I try to no jump on the bandwagon too quick but after reading 3,4,5 of the posts it defintley had me scratching my head.

Bob, if you will accept it, you have my apology. Carry on gentleman.
thumbup1.gif

Welcome aboard Bob! If you stick around I think you will find as I did that this is the best forum I've found to date. Really a great group of guys and gals. Very little angst here. There are spats now and then but overall just great interactions and info. Good luck to ya!

Last edited:
I too have noticed a lot of "trolling" on the forums as of late. There seem to be an influx of guys trying to throw out questions that are just looking to bash someone that takes it as a sincere quest for information. I saw this a lot on several of the bigger shooting forums, and now I am seeing it more on here, which makes me sad. This is such a great site, with some of the best people that I have ever met. But some guys get their kicks that way. I say, treat everybody and every question as sincere, unless they prove otherwise, then let them have it. I will treat everyone with respect unless and until they force me to do otherwise.

Now that we have a few more specifics as to Bob's situation, I would highly recommend the .223rem. I first started hunting predators with a Bushmaster M4, AR-15, using a 4X28 carry handle mounted scope. I could not really afford a bolt gun, and a AR for competition and hunting, so I bought the AR thinking it could do both. While it worked fine, I did see some drawbacks to having the scope mounted so high off the barrel, mainly when shooting from an elevated position. When I finally could afford it, I had an AR purpose built by Scott at Specialized Dynamics. It is a 16in flat top with a bull barrel. Initially I over scoped it with a 6-24X44mm scope, thinking that I would need it for those longer shots that I saw in the hunting videos. I now know that a long shot in most of my cases is 100 yards, due to visibility. I also use a shotgun, and have even used a 7mm mag with very light bullets. Because I tend to get a fair number of foxes and bobcats the 7mm is not such a great choice, so mainly my AR and shotgun go with me. I love the AR platform because it gives me the ability to change calibers so easily. I currently have a .223, a .204 Ruger, and have a .17 Rem upper on the way. My .223 and .204 are accurate enough that I use them in Long Range Precision rifle competitions as well as hunting. They do just fine.

Keep posting those questions Bob, it will help a lot of other people to answer questions.

If money is an object bob,,stevens or savage axis in a .223 will do the trick...i like 55 grain hollow points.

Good set of shooting sticks....buy some or build your own like the bi-fur pod over at varmint als site(alot of good reading there too).

Then you will need a call or some calls...even if you but an electronic...get some hand calls too and mimmic what you hear.....in case your electronic craps out during the hunt.

X

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coyotexIf money is an object bob,,stevens or savage axis in a .223 will do the trick...i like 55 grain hollow points.

Good set of shooting sticks....buy some or build your own like the bi-fur pod over at varmint als site(alot of good reading there too).

Then you will need a call or some calls...even if you but an electronic...get some hand calls too and mimmic what you hear.....in case your electronic craps out during the hunt.

X

I got my daughter a HR handy rifle in .223 with a scope for $150. It does the trick, and it is nice and short and light.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyThe posts are redundant, extremely vague, and almost come across as trollish.

Then go elsewhere. Who's forcing your typing?

Back