trimming brass

COYKILL

I size before and after I trim a case and wondering what others do. I think I could get by doing it just after I trim it but not sure and that is why I do it twice.

I want to go on record as saying that I HATE to trim brass. I have the inexpensive Lee trimmer and after 15 cases my thumb joints are so sore I can't continue. I went to the store the other day and bought some new brass just because I did not want to trim the brass I already have. I am looking at the RCBS trimmer.

With regard to your question, the brass stretches when you run it through the sizing die. You want to size it first and then trim it. If you want practice I have a couple hundred pieces that I would gladly ship you that you could trim for me.
cool.gif

I love to reload but I hate to trim brass.

Last edited:
Size afterer trimming only. It is a waste of effort to size before.

In reference to CAL COYOTE, The fact that brass stretches when sizing is EXACTLY why you only size AFTER trimming.

Dave

Originally Posted By: CalCoyoteLee trimmer and after 15 cases my thumb joints are so sore I can't continue.

You need to get the proper shell holders to use w/Lock Stud shown in link below and chuck in a cordless drill. Saves lots of wear and tear on joints.

I have retired my Forster case trimmer in favor of the Lee and use drill. Just color me lazy, I guess
smile.gif

Lee case trimmer

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: MousedipperSize afterer trimming only. It is a waste of effort to size before.

In reference to CAL COYOTE, The fact that brass stretches when sizing is EXACTLY why you only size AFTER trimming.

Dave

You mean trim after sizing. Adam

Originally Posted By: CalCoyoteI want to go on record as saying that I HATE to trim brass. I have the inexpensive Lee trimmer and after 15 cases my thumb joints are so sore I can't continue. I went to the store the other day and bought some new brass just because I did not want to trim the brass I already have. I am looking at the RCBS trimmer.

That's exactly why I bought am RCBS electric trimmer. I have artheritus in my right wrist and it kills me to use a manual trimmer. In fact I tried using the palm of my hand to turn the crank and apply pressure as trimming, but developed a large blister. I then bought an RCBS trimmer.. I am now a happy man. Triimming is still a bit tedious but still easier than a manual trimmer

Quote:Originally Posted By: CalCoyote
Lee trimmer and after 15 cases my thumb joints are so sore I can't continue.

You need to get the proper shell holders to use w/Lock Stud shown in link below and chuck in a cordless drill. Saves lots of wear and tear on joints.

I have retired my Forster case trimmer in favor of the Lee and use drill. Just color me lazy, I guess smile.

I have the same set up, but instead of a cordless drill i picked up a cheap bench drill press at harbor freight. A lot faster and you have 2 hands available to place and remove brass. With the RCBS prep station running right beside the press it goes quick.

Steve

Originally Posted By: Uncle_SteveQuote:Originally Posted By: CalCoyote
Lee trimmer and after 15 cases my thumb joints are so sore I can't continue.

I have retired my Forster case trimmer in favor of the Lee and use drill. Just color me lazy, I guess smile.

I have the same set up, but instead of a cordless drill i picked up a cheap bench drill press at harbor freight. A lot faster and you have 2 hands available to place and remove brass. With the RCBS prep station running right beside the press it goes quick.

Steve

I do all case prep in one setup w/this jury rig fixture which holds the Lee case trimmer and the case neck chamfer tool. Just turn to the next step w/o shutting down drill.

IMG_2598.jpg

(The "jig" happened to be sitting on a primer pocket cleaner made w/sewing machine motor w/foot switch; it has nothing to do w/trimming operation.)

Regards,
hm

CalCoyote don't throw away those Lee Trimmers of yours.

A very good combination for easy case prep, is to use an RCBS Case Prep Center and on one of the power port/connections, put a Lee Case Trimmer. This takes all the hand strength issues out case prep, and you can completely prep a case without ever taking it out of your hands, and it's all done on one machine.

Have the base (with the cutter) of the Lee Case Trimmer drilled and tapped with the right threads to match the Prep Center. This will allow you to screw it onto the rotating power port. "If centered correctly, it will not wobble"

You can change calibers very easy, and as you probably know, their

Some very interesting suggestions on case trimming. I know that I can't continue the way I have without ruining my hands. Bigdog2, your idea about the RCBS setup is very interesting. It sounds like I could do that for about the same price as a RCBS case trimmer. In the mean time I am going to go buy a small drill and see if that helps. It is either that or go out and buy some more brass...

I use the L.E. wilson with the shark fin, and power adapter, I used to use a drill now I use a battery powered screw driver. Works just as well.

Size, trim, chamfer, deburr.

Trimming sucks

Originally Posted By: ab_bentleyOriginally Posted By: MousedipperSize afterer trimming only. It is a waste of effort to size before.

Dave

You mean trim after sizing. Adam

OK we have contradicting advice here. My understanding has always been the same as most others have said. Trim after sizing because the brass stretches during the sizing process. But I'm open to learning something new if there is something I've been missing.

Originally Posted By: CalCoyoteI love to reload but I hate to trim brass.

I'm with you on this. I have the Giraud case trimmer. Best $400 I've spent. I size/decap, the trim. Done.

I love reloading to begin with, but now I really, really love reloading. I wear a light leather work glove that has all the padding I need for holding the cases. You'd be surprised how fast you can trim cases. Think Pencil Sharpener.

Back