remington 700 sps varmint or savage 12 FV

xtremefowler

well lookn at getting a new bolt gun in 22-250 and was lookn at the 700 sps varmint and the savage 12FLV. How do the two compare and wich will shoot better and wich is the better gun. lookn for advice and help deciding.

I have the Savage Model 12FLV in 22-250 and love the gun. It's obviously a bit heavy because of the barrel, but I like the rifle. I topped it off with a Weaver Tactical Mil/Mil 3-10 scope.
With factory ammo I was getting easily 3/4 - 1 inch groups. Now with my reloads I'm getting 1/4 - 1/2 inch groups.

Here's some pics.

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

Here's a pic of my first group with winchester white box.
IMG_0393.jpg

Any questions just send me a PM.

Last edited:
I have the Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .223 and the Savage Model 10 in .22-250. Both have hvy 26" bbls. Both have a 1 in 12" twist. The Rem had the X-mark that I have down to just under 3#, the Savage had a regular trigger that I worked down to 4# by performing a spring swap and polishing a few places.

They both shoot under MOA at 100yds, the Savage with factory Remington 55grn SP's and the Rem with hand loads. Not gonna lie and say they both shoot 1/8" all day long, but they perform to the what I expect the caliber can do.

Is one better than the other? Can't say because they're different calibers.

What are you shooting and which feels better to you?

Good Luck!

I had a Savage sporter in 22-250, it shot as good as my Rem 700 did. The Savage 223 was really nice.

If this is a carry gun, I suggest that you don't get the hvy barrel, stay with the sporters. I can't remember ever hearing someone say, I wish my coyote rifle was heavier, but I have heard the opposite.

Originally Posted By: HereticI have the Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .223 and the Savage Model 10 in .22-250. Both have hvy 26" bbls. Both have a 1 in 12" twist. The Rem had the X-mark that I have down to just under 3#, the Savage had a regular trigger that I worked down to 4# by performing a spring swap and polishing a few places.

They both shoot under MOA at 100yds, the Savage with factory Remington 55grn SP's and the Rem with hand loads. Not gonna lie and say they both shoot 1/8" all day long, but they perform to the what I expect the caliber can do.

Is one better than the other? Can't say because they're different calibers.

What are you shooting and which feels better to you?

Good Luck!

Bravo...a totally honest man. Refreshing!

Originally Posted By: xtremefowlerwell lookn at getting a new bolt gun in 22-250 and was lookn at the 700 sps varmint and the savage 12FLV. How do the two compare and wich will shoot better and wich is the better gun. lookn for advice and help deciding.

After seeing the trigger problems my friend started having with his M12...Im sticking with Remington for factory made rifles.

Try Both rifles and see what you like. I have a 12 FV in 204, and it shot great since day 1. I also purchased an SPS in 243, after replacing the factory stock its better than it was. The action on the Savage is much smoother than the action on My Remmi. The bolt feels very gritty compared to the Savage. It also scratches the Brass sometimes while feeding, and this occured with both stocks. Give em both a feel and make your choice, Good Luck!

get the Savage over the Remington. bought my first Remington 3 months ago, sps-v in 308. had problems lining up my scope. sent the scope back to manufacturer and was told it was fine. thought it then was my base and rings. so went out and paid over $220 for some high end ones, same problem. sent the rifle back to Remington that outsourced it to J&G Gunsmithing in California. Remington's are know for have their scope mount holes drilled off. they told me nothing is wrong with the mounting holes and it must be something else. well as you can see i've already done everything else and by process of elimination it should be the rifle. if it were the rings and bases like J&G suggested it could be isn't it unusual that i had the same problem with both setups with different equipment. had a Savage 11FCNS, great rifle. i believe Remington's quality control may be lacking these days.

If the remington 700 sps varmint has that cheap plastic stock like the 700 Rem. Buckmaster compact has DON'T get it or if you do put a good stock on it.

DAB

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Try Both rifles and see what you like. I have a 12 FV in 204, and it shot great since day 1. I also purchased an SPS in 243, after replacing the factory stock its better than it was. ...

I had my basic SPS 1 whole day before ordering a new stock from Stocky's...
lol.gif
Don tknow how it shot prior to the new stock..? Shoots as well as I expected after the new stock though

Take your pick, either will do what you want. There are lots of after market parts for the Remington and not so much for the Savage.

I've owned both but prefer the Remingtons.

i got the 700 sps varmint. i really like it. gun shoots great even with the stock. Never had a problem with the stock and dont plan on changing it either.

.50 cents in one hand, half dollar in the other. I had a 700 SPS in .204 ruger that was insane accurate. My dad has a model 12 in 22-250 that is insane accurate. Both are heavy guns, both are accurate guns. The only thing that I can see Savage having over the Remington is that the 12s have an easier trigger to adjust. IMO, you cannot go wrong with either.

For the record, the only reason that I got rid of my .204 is becasue it was just to heavy for me to walk around with. We dont have Pdog towns here in Indiana. I Ghog hunt and do alot of walking and stalking.

Back