remington 700 sps varmint or savage 12 FV

I own a SPS varmint in .243 and a few of my freinds have them in .223 and 22-250 all of them shoot great in the factory stocks. The trigger is very easy to adjust down to about 3# and very crisp . I agree the finish leaves a little to be desired but you don't have to scared to death your going to scratch a pretty finish either.

I own the SPS varminter in 223. While it shot well with the factory stock 1/2-3/4" with cheap ammo, I did not like the stock at all. I ended up changing that out fairly quickly. Otherwise I have been pretty happy with that rifle. I was able to tune the trigger up pretty well, the action and barrel were fine so no complaints there. From what I have been reading though most people are not very happy with their triggers at all.
On the bright side of all of this, with the Remington 700 all you need are some deeper pockets and everything on that rifle you dislike can be replaced. The savages on the other hand, while having some aftermarket goodies, do not have the range of aftermarket accessories that you will find for the Remington.

I have a couple 700’s (heavy and regular barrel) with the x-mark trigger and I don’t like the stocks or the triggers which I can fix with upgrades (more money).

I bought my wife a Savage Edge (economy rifle) for half the price and I adjusted the trigger down to 3.5 lbs (spring change)…..long story short, it out performs my 700‘s which doesn't seem right
smile.gif

Never used a 12 so I don’t know, opinions will vary that’s for sure and you may or may not like what others do.

.....................................................................................................................
Why do you want a heavy barrel ?

If you’re shooting bench, sitting position, will have some type of support, or extremely strong, no problem

But if you plan on hiking, standing or free hand a lot, you might consider something lighter.

I have both and I’m a fairly stout man, but the heavy barrel can be a pain, it will make a difference at the end of the day!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigKevI own the SPS varminter in 223. While it shot well with the factory stock 1/2-3/4" with cheap ammo, I did not like the stock at all. I ended up changing that out fairly quickly. Otherwise I have been pretty happy with that rifle. I was able to tune the trigger up pretty well, the action and barrel were fine so no complaints there. From what I have been reading though most people are not very happy with their triggers at all.
On the bright side of all of this, with the Remington 700 all you need are some deeper pockets and everything on that rifle you dislike can be replaced. The savages on the other hand, while having some aftermarket goodies, do not have the range of aftermarket accessories that you will find for the Remington.

Savage had just as many aftermarket accessories as Remington until they came out with the "Inline feed" models. Then the stock selection went into the toilet. Baffles me as to why they did that.

Chupa

Tell you the truth I was in this same setup a couple weeks ago when I was looking for my new rifle. Looking at the exact same rifles as you are but in LEFTY.

I liked the loook and avalibility of aftermarket parts for the Remington.
But I liked the performance of the Savage. Plus with the Savage's fater twist I can shoot heavier bullets compared to the Remington.

Long story short go and hold both and cycle the action and handle it like you would use it in the field and decide which you would prefer.

Keep us posted on what you decided and how well it preforms

Savage has the "ultimate" aftermarket parts since you can go all the way and change your barrel where you need a gunsmith for a Remmy.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGI have a couple 700’s (heavy and regular barrel) with the x-mark trigger and I don’t like the stocks or the triggers which I can fix with upgrades (more money)....

You have a VLS stock you dont like ( NOT that thumbhole thing) If you do have one of their heavy barrel laminated stocks....we just might make a deal !!!!

Last edited:
Back