new barrel for 22-250

Anything heavier than 55 grains why not chamber it in 243 Win, 243 Imp 6MM Rem ect. I must be missing something here. I don't understand the need to shoot anything heavier than 55/ 60 grains out of 22 cal. Or those who shoot 55 grains out of a 243. I allways thought 1 in 12 twist is perfect for the 22-250. Grizz

yea i dont understand it either. i have a 223 for my target and practice gun that shoots 69gr smk reallly well and i have a 7mm-08 for when i want to reach out and touch something. im thinking a 1:12.

IF you run the numbers thru a ballistic calculator you will see. The 80gr Berger has a BC (.445) just under what a 168gr SMK has (.462).

My buddys shoot the 168SMK at about 2700fps. im shooting the 80Gr at 3200fps. That additional 500fps makes a huge difference. Shoots flatter and less wind drift than their loads. Bullets are 10 cents cheaper, 10grs less powder and alot less recoil.

168gr stays supersoinc out to 1100yds, the 80Gr stays Supersonic out to 1400yds. So its a pretty good all around target/varmint blasting round.

But if you wanna stay with the lighter bullets then yea go with the 12 twist and get to blasting.
Nothing wrong with that.
I like shooting long distance so the heavies work better for me.

Originally Posted By: markleyyea with my new barrel i dont plan on shooting a hot load. i am getting so many opinions i just dont know what to do.

Then do what I would do, a new barrel in 1:12 twist. The .22-250 has been standard with 1:12 and 1:14 forever. I see no reason to shoot heavy bullets in a .224 cal, I have other rifles for that use.

If you go with the fast twist the rifle may not shoot the lighter bullets well. I sold a really nice .223 for this very reason. The .223 would shoot the 69 gr bullet very accurately but bullets of 45 to 50 gr just gave up to much accuracy for my liking. I bought the rifle for varmint hunting and did not know it had the fast twist.

A big drawback to those heavy bullets is they were not designed for varmint hunting. With a varmint bullet a miss most likely will disintegrate where the heavy bullet will richochet. That is not an option for me hunting in somewhat populated areas.

Last edited:
Yea I have contacted PAC-nor and kreiger. They are wanting around 500-650 for their barrels is what they quoted me through email. I found a shilen select match stainless for 350. Thinking about getting that one. My next question is where do I go or send it to so I can have the barrel put on? I live in iowa so if there are any smiths that anybody can suggest that would be great. If I need to send the gun out of state who do you recommend?

Originally Posted By: markleyYea I have contacted PAC-nor and kreiger. They are wanting around 500-650 for their barrels is what they quoted me through email. I found a shilen select match stainless for 350. Thinking about getting that one. My next question is where do I go or send it to so I can have the barrel put on? I live in iowa so if there are any smiths that anybody can suggest that would be great. If I need to send the gun out of state who do you recommend?

For $600 I believe they are expecting to do the work as that was the price I got from them for my rifle. The barrel is somewhere around $300.

I looked locally and found a place that builds benchrest rifles, they got the barrel and installed it for about $425.

No idea how they come up with a price like that, I couldn't justify it.

This is what I found from my shopping around recentlty, barrel blanks run $285 to $350 for most barrels, some higher, that's without special finishing like coatings and fluting. Action trueing will run anywhere from $175 to $250 dollars if you don't sleeve the bolt, threading and chambering will run about $200. I'll be around $750 into mine for all the above when it gets done this summer. I just let Bartlein do it all in house. Who better to install the barrel and warranty it than the barrel maker. Nobody to point the finger at there.

I would go 1-8 or 1-9. The difference between a 1-8 and 1-12 isn't going to be thousands of rounds different. It will depend on your load. I personally would go the tighter twist just for the ability to go either way with the bullet weight.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: joedThe .22-250 barrel has a life of about 1k rounds. It may still work after that but accuracy is falling off.

I highly disagree with this statement.......

Depends on how fast you are moving bullets. If you shoot at lower velocities it will last longer. I bought my .22-250 for the velocity and don't down load it. It's not shot out at 1k but it's on its way.

Buy the $60 barrel that I posted and have someone screw it on. Or have your current barrel rechambered and set back. The gunsmith will charge you some cheddar for either. You might want to look at ER Shaw for a budget build. Of course do you realize the wait will be a long time too...

The 22-250 with a heavy bullet and fast twist barrel does what the 223 cannot do past 300 yards. That is the reason for heavy bullets and fast twist. If you are shooting less than that use a 223. Otherwise the 22-250 is overkill close up.

I own a 223 that I shoot out to 500. I really don't see the point in shooting a bullet heavier than 55 or 60 out of a 250. I always though the point of a 250 was for speed. If I want to shoot passed 500 then I have a 7mm-08 for that. The 250 is used for spot and stalk and calling.

Montana ss barrel are 200.00- 250.00
proper smith 250.00-500.00
I would put a montana up to select match shilen any day of the week. I would not giver ER shaw the time of day. you can get a green moutan barrle for 100.00. yes the do make center fire barrel. and I think its better barrel . spike tatical uses greenn moutan barrel along with many out of the box guns. or set back the factory tube.Buy a new take off for app 50 buck and get a custom ground recoil for 30.00 buck (ptg) Then Rent tools from 4d reamers for app 50.00 buck (go,nogo,barrel vise,and action wrench) can be back up and running 130-150.

Back