new barrel for 22-250

markley

What do you guys suggest for a new barrel for a remington 700 22-250. id like to have a heavy barrel like what is on my sps varmint. also what does it usually charge to have a new barrel put on? Who do you guys also suggest?

Lots of good makes out there. I would pay close attention to the twist rate. My 22-250 has a 1:14 and its too slow for the heavier pills. I max out @ a 60gr VMAX.

If you want to shoot any heavies out of it, look for a 1-9. Most 22-250's have a 12 or 14 twist and don't handle the heavy bullets well.

For barrels there are plenty of different makers out there. Most will turn a factory Rem contour if that is what you want. Kreiger, Hart, PacNor, Lilja, McGowen, Douglas are a few places to start your search.

Most 'smiths will charge $125-150 to thread and chamber a barrel. There is no reason it should cost any more than that to have one installed.

Like said above I would have a faster twist like 1:9 to handle some heavier bullets. I would suggest Pac-Nor as far as a custom barrel goes...

yea mine right now has a 1:14 and im thinking its burnt up. i cleaned the barrel down til no more copper came out and went and shot. with the load i was shooting, last year i was getting 1in groups at 200 yards and this morning it was 1.5-2 in groups at 100 with a flyer. i know the load im shooting is hot. 40gr vmax chroned at 4184fps average. have shot around 1k of these loads and previous to that before i was loading i had shot around 400 rounds of 45gr winchester white box and hornady 40gr vmax. i would like a 1:9 just so i can shoot a 55-60 for sure. the barrel i have now when in its prime would only shoot a 52gr for the heaviest. i dont really need to shoot a real heavy bullet because i have a 223 that i shoot a 69gr matchking out of and i have a 7mm-08 to reach out and touch something. i have been looking at shilen and pacnor.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI'd go 1-8.....

Yep, that's what mine was and if I had to do it over again, it would be the same. No issues running from 40-75gr bullets in that rifle.

so if i go with a 1:8 how much shorter will the barrel life be than compared to a 1:12? I would really like to be able to shoot a 55.

Every barrel is different. I have seen plenty of 1-12's that will shoot 55's just fine. There is no hard and fast rules on barrel life. it will be affected by how hot you run your loads, your cleaning regimine, and the barrel steel itself.

That said I would look at a 1-9 or 1-8 and not worry about how long its gonna last.

Originally Posted By: markleyso if i go with a 1:8 how much shorter will the barrel life be than compared to a 1:12? I would really like to be able to shoot a 55.

If you're only concerned about shooting 55 gr bullets get the 1:12, it will be fine and outlast a 1:8. My rifle has 1:14 and doesn't like all the 55 gr bullets unless they have lead tips.

My opinion is 1:12 would be a better choice then 1:14. And I'd bet 1:10 would probably handle 69 gr bullets.

For anything heavier then that just buy another rifle in a larger chambering. It's a trade off trying to shoot heavy bullets from a .224 cal.

The .22-250 barrel has a life of about 1k rounds. It may still work after that but accuracy is falling off. By that point I'll put a new barrel on mine.

Originally Posted By: joedThe .22-250 barrel has a life of about 1k rounds. It may still work after that but accuracy is falling off.

I highly disagree with this statement.......

i have a 223 that i shoot 69gr smk out of and a 7mm-08 so i am not worried about shooting a bullet heavier than a 55gr out of my 22-250.

Originally Posted By: joed
For anything heavier then that just buy another rifle in a larger chambering. It's a trade off trying to shoot heavy bullets from a .224 cal.

It IS a trade-off. It allows you to shoot a modest recoiling rifle that's burning low powder charges, shoot cheaper bullets(compared to larger caliber offerings), you can spot all your own shots without a break or an obnoxiously heavy rifle, shoot long strings of fire (compared to cartridges burning much more powder), and you can run them out a looooong ways. Running .224"s to 1000yards is easily accomplished while doing all of the above and they will trump lots of bigger cartridges while doing it. Even at just 3-500yards the heavy bullets will drift less than the ligher bullets. I'll gladly give up a little barrel life for more bullets on targets with wind cheating bullets.

If shooting long range isn't your thing and you just want to blow up prairie dogs at modest ranges, then run 50-55's and enjoy it. Different strokes for different folks.

Originally Posted By: markleyyea mine right now has a 1:14 and im thinking its burnt up. i cleaned the barrel down til no more copper came out and went and shot. with the load i was shooting, last year i was getting 1in groups at 200 yards and this morning it was 1.5-2 in groups at 100 with a flyer. i know the load im shooting is hot. 40gr vmax chroned at 4184fps average. have shot around 1k of these loads and previous to that before i was loading i had shot around 400 rounds of 45gr winchester white box and hornady 40gr vmax. i would like a 1:9 just so i can shoot a 55-60 for sure. the barrel i have now when in its prime would only shoot a 52gr for the heaviest. i dont really need to shoot a real heavy bullet because i have a 223 that i shoot a 69gr matchking out of and i have a 7mm-08 to reach out and touch something. i have been looking at shilen and pacnor. i would look at krieger, krieger, hart, bartlein, brux, broughton.

My 1x12 Douglas barrel shoots fine with 55 gr. bullets.

A 22/250 barrel will last [much] longer than 1000 rounds if loads are not at maximum, and the owner exercises restraint re sustained firing (prairie dog days)which erodes the throat on any high power caliber.

Your 40 gr. loading is pretty hot; you may wish to reduce that to the 3900 FPS or less level with your new barrel.

I burnt the factory barrel out on my m700 22-250 and i finally decided on a prefit Mcgowen stainless match 26" 9 twist. I went with the fast twist so i could shoot heavys long distance. Got my buddy to help me get the factory barrel off and he walked me thru the steps on how to headspace it. We used 5 peices of lapua brass that i ran thru my size die.
This barrel uses a savage style barrel nut, so i was able to set it up in 2 minutes no problem. It does just under 3" groups at 600yds. Shooting 80gr bergers. Half the drop and half the wind drift as a 175gr 308.

I have some loads with 40 and 55gr vmax that im tryin this weekend for a varmint load. Doubt they well shoot as good as the heavy bergers [beeep].

Good luck on your pick.
Oh it only took 9moa to go from a 100yd zero to a 600yd zero. Thats some flat shooting right there.

Back