.223, 22-250, or .243 which one is better for Predators

Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogswhy is a 243 restricted to coyotes within 300 yards?

Ive seen way to many just injured or totally lost when the 243 is pushed past 300 yards...just a matter of personal preference - I guess.

I just read your posts and now you are claiming that the22-250 will out perform a 243 at distance above 300 yards ( I think I am very confused now ) SHOW ME THE FACTS !

Originally Posted By: rodngunOriginally Posted By: bigsky_songdogswhy is a 243 restricted to coyotes within 300 yards?

Ive seen way to many just injured or totally lost when the 243 is pushed past 300 yards...just a matter of personal preference - I guess.

Thats fine, just curious. Every one is entitled to thier opinion, and that is why i said there are a lot of people that lack the shooting skills and practice to be shooting at a hundred yards accuratly let alone 300 yards. I do like a little more oomph on elk, I use my 300 win on deer and elk (same gun because they live in the same place,and i like getting very familiar with one gun) and like it for the anchoring power because of the extreme terrain in some of the country i hunt. is it required to kill elk or deer, No, but i like its performance and i am confident in its ability so that is what i use.

I know of people in East Tx that hunt with a 300...and they have 60 yards max shooting lanes..now that funny as [beeep]...

Thats true, but whatever makes them happy i guess, i live in Western montana and hunt all over the state, and im not restricted to 60 yards, thats for sure. LOL

I thought that I had to have a 500yd shooter till I actually started to hunt yotes...now if I see one past 200yds its a miricle. 200yds max so, I guess it depends on where you hunt. Texas = long range shots (300yds+)...the rest of the country does not...easy as pie.

Originally Posted By: Va243hntrI just read your posts and now you are claiming that the22-250 will out perform a 243 at distance above 300 yards ( I think I am very confused now ) SHOW ME THE FACTS !

its okay- you would not be the first,

I take it you have not been critter hunting very long..myself for the last 43 years out of 50.That being said - I have seen plenty of Yotes etc etc injured or lost from shooting a 243 over 300 yards..does it mean that a 243 will not kill a yote past 300 yards - NO..it just means why chance it ..study your B/C's and trajectory tables and sectional density etc etc..you will be able to figure out the rest on your own.I hope.

Originally Posted By: rodngunNo Sir - I belong to the old school of - a 270 will kill anything in north america.I laugh at those carrying around a 300 to go deer hunting with..but thats just me.

There is just to many reason to explain WHY you should not chance a shot on a elk with a 243....to long to explain..no time or patience.

There has been more elk killed with 30-40 krags and 30-30 winchesters than any other caliber and a .243 is flatter shooting, faster and has more retained energy than either of those rounds, so YES I was not afraid to shoot an elk with mine, and I would never tell anyone they shouldn't!! and why is it no good for "critters"?

to many people tried to read into the comment ..its not that a 243 will not kill a yote or anything else...I myself, like ONE hole.

Like I said - it makes a great Hog gun..and is marginal past 300 yards on a deer ..so no,its not anything I would recommend to anyone.

Originally Posted By: warpig602Im surprised nobody has mentioned "shot placement" or "if I do my part" yet.

that was a given...he tried to make the statement more complex than it was.

I'm Out . gotta feed the dogs and aparently re think my marginal choice on firearms for coyotes. Rodgun I have only been hunting for 32 years so thank you for pointing out that I am doing every thing wrong. NOT I still dont get it but as stated earlier I"M OUT wont do this one any more

Back