.223, 22-250, or .243 which one is better for Predators

Everyone one of the cartridges asked about are good. All of them will fill the bill nicely for small game.

The .243 is more of a dual purpose cartridge though as you can load heavier bullets and hunt larger game then a .22 cal.

My first rifle was a .25-06, I bought it at the time because of the versatility. It was a spectacular varmint cartridge that was able to go deer hunting or other larger game. I still have this rifle.

I had a .223 for years that I enjoyed. Very accurate but limited in use. I have replaced it with a .22-250 though as I found the .223 limited to about 300 yards.

The .22-250 is a little quieter then the 06 in some of the populated areas I hunt so it sees quite a bit of use.

Heck, buy one of each, that's what's neat about the different cartridges. Everyone of them excels in different areas.

Originally Posted By: joedEveryone one of the cartridges asked about are good. All of them will fill the bill nicely for small game.

The .243 is more of a dual purpose cartridge though as you can load heavier bullets and hunt larger game then a .22 cal.

My first rifle was a .25-06, I bought it at the time because of the versatility. It was a spectacular varmint cartridge that was able to go deer hunting or other larger game. I still have this rifle.

I had a .223 for years that I enjoyed. Very accurate but limited in use. I have replaced it with a .22-250 though as I found the .223 limited to about 300 yards.
The .22-250 is a little quieter then the 06 in some of the populated areas I hunt so it sees quite a bit of use.

Heck, buy one of each, that's what's neat about the different cartridges. Everyone of them excels in different areas.

What ?? you take that back - you know good and well that a 223 is good out to 800 yards !!!!

I think we sometimes forget different loads in the same caliber make a world of difference in how the gun performs. In general if you buy the same bullet for all three I agree the 223 is a 300 yard choice, the 22-250 really only adds 50 yards to that (check the charts), while the 243 gets you way out there.

Some people would have you believe the 22-250 is a 500 yard choice while the 223 only works to 200. Bullet for bullet the the 250 improves the range over the 223 by 50 to 100 yards, depending on which number you're looking at. The ability to hit the target 50 yards, damage done 100 yards.

With that said I know another site where almost daily they post videos of 600 to 800 yard DRT coyote kills with fast twist 223 rifles. There are a few kills at over 1100 yards and one guy is shooting his at over a mile getting hits more times than not. Bottom line is if you pick the right gun and shoot the right bullet the 223 will kill yotes out to 500 yards. Also if you do some searches on 223 coyote kills you'll see the bullet type make a world of difference. There are plenty of DRT 223 kills to view. I like the 223 because most of my shots are going to be less then 400 yards, most under 250. It is cheap and quite.

.223s are regularly shot in competition at 1000 yds with vld bullets. Ever heard of a 22-250 being used in 1000yd competition?

Originally Posted By: spiaailli There are a few kills at over 1100 yards and one guy is shooting his at over a mile getting hits more times than not.

So much for the old "shot placement" thing eah?
That's gotta be one of the dumbest, most irresponcible things I've ever seen posted, reguardless of the web-site.

FWIW,,,,
Dead "Deer" shot with 243.
DSCN7977.jpg

Not so dead "Elk",,, "Texas" heart shot. Probably with a 270. LOL
noname255.jpg

And just to make this even more "informative". LOL
IMO,,, the 270's the most unefficient, inaccurate round ever concieved.
And don't give me that tired old crap about the "Great Jack Oconner". Come up here to Lewiston where Jack's from and talk to some of the old timers that knew him. You'll find out that the only thing he and his precious 270 were known for was indiscriminate killing of wild Burrows down on the breaks of the Snake and Salmon rivers.
Give me a good ol 308 (or any 30cal) for big game up to Brown Bear.

OK,,,, That otta do it for a while...
cool.gif

Charlie, funny you should mention O'connor. I have a book of his. It's just a collection of his hunting stories. Anyway, i have never read about such reducilous shots, so many misses, and piss poor shots. These stories are straight from his mouth. Blew me away. He i's far from the rifleman i thought he was.

LOL,,,, Yea,,, Oconner's name had a lot more to do with selling 270's than the rounds efficiency and/or accuracy ever did.
Guess "believing every thing ya read" existed even before the internet,,, eah?

Oh,,, and Leon,,, Don't let those pesky ol "Facts", or the success the BR crowd has with their ol 6PPC's or 6.5X284's. The 22/250 really is the best round ever. (Well,,, other than the 270 of course).
crazy.gif

I've also heard the .270 is not accurate, but I have a hard time believing it. Never owned one so can't say one way or the other. But I have owned a .25-06 for over 30 years and in no way can I call this one inaccurate. The .270 is quite similar so I would expect good accuracy from it.

Originally Posted By: joedI've also heard the .270 is not accurate, but I have a hard time believing it. Never owned one so can't say one way or the other. But I have owned a .25-06 for over 30 years and in no way can I call this one inaccurate. The .270 is quite similar so I would expect good accuracy from it.

I think it has more to do with the gun then the chambering to be honest. Mine shoots decent groups, and I have seen enough others that shoot well to say that its not a bad round. IF the arguement comes down to efficency, and a couple 1/10's of theroetical inches, I would say is a moot argument so far as sportsmen go.

Well,,,, I had one of Oconners beloved Pre 64 Win's in 270 that was the biggest turd ever no matter the load.
I also worked as a range officer for a few years and saw a bunch of em come through the door. I had a spotting scope in the office and watched lots of guys shoot em. Never did see one that would group under 2" at a hundred. Of course, that's plenty accurate for the majority of Deer and Elk hunters up here, and very well may be for others. I just ain't one of em.
Ain't saying that there isn't some accurate 270's out there, but I'll wager there's a whole lot more that ain't...
Now the 25/06 is a whole different story but that's a different thread.
JMO

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: spiaailli There are a few kills at over 1100 yards and one guy is shooting his at over a mile getting hits more times than not.

So much for the old "shot placement" thing eah?
That's gotta be one of the dumbest, most irresponcible things I've ever seen posted, reguardless of the web-site.

It's all about knowing yor limits. These guys rarely shoot at less than 1000 yards and put 10 out of 10 hits on 9" plates at 1800 yards. They shoot rabbits past 1000 yards 1 shot 1 hit.

Originally Posted By: Dogslayer24Pure varmint rifle? 22-250 hands down.

End/thread

Man I wouldn't argue that with anybody. It's a good one.

IMO the .220 Swift is right there with it.

I'll agree with you doggin but anymore very few manufactures are chambering it and factory ammo isn't the easiest to find. Take the 22-250 on the other hand. Every manufacturer i know of chambers one, ammo i's easy to find and it's a legitimate 400 yard gun. IMHO the 22-250 i's to varmint hunting what a V-8 i's to a drag car.

true all that foxy.

But foxy, while you're here I gotta tell ya something. It's something that is driving me nuts. You don't really wanna do that, do ya?
smile.gif
(be nice or I'll start sending your GF pm's telling her all about you)

Anyways, the word is is spelled is. There is no apostrophe in the two letter word is. It's not i's.

There, I feel better now.
smile.gif

Well my iPhone automatically puts it i'n there for some unknown reason. Any word like that makes it put an apostrophe i'n???

Back