What's your favorite powder for .223

Depending on the bullet weight, I will use Ramshot X-Terminator for the lighter ones and TAC for the heavier ones... Winchester 748 is also a great one for a wide range of bullets in the .223....

I used W-748 for several years until I started using the Ramshot powders...I found they burn a little cleaner.. the X-Terminator is a little faster than W-748 and the TAC just a little slower in burn rate...both meter like water compared to the extruded powders..

I still keep an amount of W-748 in reserve and use it for my .204 AR when I need extreme accuracy..

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpThanks Rustydust. How is the powder fouling with the Bluedot? Does it shoot pretty clean?

It seem to do fine with the powder residue. Bluedot has been a favorite of mine for around 30 years in my .44 Magnum so I had some laying around when I read an article a few years back on using it in the .223 cases. Not only does it work well in those, but in my .17 Remington (10 grains is what I use) it is kinda like a hopped up .17 HMR load. I have loaded some in my .221 Fireball with the little 35 grain Vmax to give a try. I bet they will be fun too.

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsThe purpose of Blue Dot loads is to reduce muzzle blast.

They should not be used for any other reason.

Jack

Do you mean they should not be used for hunting.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong about using Blue Dot for hunting. You will have to resight in the rifle because while Blue Dot loads are full pressure loads they will not give the muzzle velocity of a slower powder.

Jack

H 335 Witha a 40 gr. VMAX with federal 205M priners
AND
Varget with Federal 205 M primers and a 55 gr,Vmak
Both of these loads are able to shoot 1/2" to 7/8" at 200 yds with no wind pretty consistently.

I do match prep the brass and use both Winchester and Laupa brass.

I have loaded three different 223's with the Varget load and 55 gr VMAX.federal primer loads and they all shot under 1 inch at 100 yds.

Call me the odd guy, but my closet is stacked full of BL-C(2) for my AR and the 50gr. V-maxes I push. It was one of the first loads I tried and I keep coming back to it. Best thing to do is find friends that reload and trade components around. I do this with 2 other guys and it saves a lot of money and wasted components. Just traded some Benchmark I don't need for some bullets I do need today. Be careful with the Blue Dot, a little goes a long way. I'd work up in .1 gr. increments from published minimums. I use BD in my fur friendly loads.

Originally Posted By: 700xcrMy Remington 700 SPS varmint 223rem. Likes Benchmark powder. 25.5grs. with a Nosler 50gr. bts. and a CCI 400 primer.

Exactly what I load--although I have started using Remington benchrest primers.

Benchmark with a 55 grain Sierra works for me.

I wish I could get something worked up with the BL-C2. I've got an 8 pound jug of it.

Originally Posted By: fw707Benchmark with a 55 grain Sierra works for me.

I wish I could get something worked up with the BL-C2. I've got an 8 pound jug of it.

My RRA 24" varmint in 8" twist loves it around 26gr. with CCI SRM primers and 50 gr. V-max loaded just a hair off mag length. It actually shoots the 40, 50, and 55 gr. V-maxes well with this combination at 100yds with the 50's being the best.

Thanks!
I'll give it another try when the weather warms up a little.
thumbup1.gif

Yes, they are lower velocity loads, but I have shot 12gr of Blue Dot with a 40gr V Max for 12 years and never had to change my zero. They hit dead on at 100 yards with one hole five shot groups when sighted in about 1" high with regular loads. They are going about 2700 fps in my 20" Model 700 VS.
At that velocity the 40gr V Max will still launch PD's at 150 yards. I've killed thousands of critters with this load and it has become my favorite load for my 223.

I use some surplus WC846 with a 50 gr. VMax in my Model 7 Predator. In my R-15, I use BLC-2 with a 55 grain SP. I hope I can find some more WC846, as that is an extremely accurate load.

BLC(2)is the commercial equivalent of WC846. Of course from lot to lot there is enough variance that you would need to rework you loads.

W748 is very close in burn rate to BLC(2). There are some claims they are the same, but haven't seen anyone who would verify that as fact. Certainly again you would need to rework your loads to be safe and start low.

Most people consider them pretty temp sensitive in hot weather.

Originally Posted By: psdan000I am new to reloading rifle rounds, I have reloaded pistol cartridges in the past and want to step up and make some loads for my .223. I have everything I need except the powder. What is a good all around powder for .223? There's so many out there I'm not too sure what to get. I will be loading 60 grain v-max bullets if that matters much. Thanks for the help
thumbup1.gif

I would vote for ramshot TAC for good all around powder followed by ramshot exterminator..I think TAC will work best for 60 gr bullets... give good velocities and great accuracy... ball powder so meters perfectly through a powder measure .... and burn much cleaner than almost any other powders....

to me Varget gives good accuracy but lower velocities unless you are going shoot the heavy bullets (69 to 77gr)....

H335, 748, Blc2 are all very good, but TAC burns much cleaner....

Benchmark, h322 RL 10x, Accurate 2015 and 2230 are good also....

The first really accurate load (repeatable 1/2 moa) i ever developed was with AA2015. I have shot a real 5 shot one hole group with RL10x....

My favorite of all 223 powders is VV 133 .... also excellent accuracy and extra velocity.... if you can work up to 24.7 to 25.x gr of 133 with a 50 gr bullet you will be pushing 3400 to 3500 fps.... no other powder gives me this combination of velocity and accuracy with a 50 gr bullet.... but VV powders are costly $$....

all around i still would recommend TAC.... good for 40 to 77 gr bullets in 223 ....use the loads in the book or online at Ramshot.... and good velocities and accuracy with any of these bullets..... xterminator would be best if used with 60 gr and under in my opinion... my third vote for all around powder would be benchmark...

Back