What's your favorite powder for .223

Thanks guys, guess I'll have to just pick one of the ones listed and give it a try! I'll see whats available at the next local gun show. Thanks for all the help!

In this order Bench Mark,TAC Varget. 26grs of Bench mark behind 55gr V-Max produces an average MV of 3250. 26.3 of TAC same bullet 3150. But dang no coyote can tell the difference.

All the powders listed can produce great results depending on the bullet and individual rifle. Some are more temp sensitive (ball powders), but they are easier to load.

If you had asked about the 50 v-max my choice would have been Benchmark hands down. With the 55 it's pretty much a toss up with several powders and Varget having a slight velocity edge. With the 60 v-max, I have to give Varget the advantage as far as accuracy and velocity combined, but as I said in the previous post Varget is much more aggravating to load.

Just plain old 748 is good if you are loading a lot of rounds at once.

Just a beginner reloader here but I just put together some rounds using Varget for my AR shooting 60 gr V- maxes as well and they shot nicely on a quick sight in. 26.4 gr is what I loaded, it will be a compressed load. Varget is good for the heavier bullets especially if you shoot out of a longer barrel too. My AR barrel is 28". just got a pound of H-335 from santa I will play with to see what it does, but the Varget is nice because of it's temperature stability.

Varget gives me about 3,100 fps with the 60 v-max using a load of 26.7g., but that's in a 22 inch barrel, so you should be well above that with a 28 inch barrel.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. I really like H335 for the 55's and also for 204 Ruger.

Re 7 works real well in mine. Also read on Accurate reloading .com that Seafire has some good loads worked up for Blue Dot (shotgun powder) for the .223. I have yet to try Blue Dot but have a can of it and will try it. Suposed to be pretty good in the .223. I have used several of the others mentioned with good results. I'm real curious about the Blue Dot.

Tony

RTLOF18918BI have yet to try Blue Dot but have a can of it and will try it. Suposed to be pretty good in the .223. I have used several of the others mentioned with good results. I'm real curious about the Blue Dot Tony [/quote said:
12 grains of Bluedot with a 40 grain bullet of your choice will net you around 3000 fps. I have shot plenty of sub one inch groups with this combo. Wont work out of my AR-15 but fun in a bolt gun. Quiet, accurate and cheap to shoot. I always have a box or two of this load sitting on my shelf.

Rustydust, I'm assuming the Bluedot and 40g bullet is really fur friendly on fox and bobcat. Is that your finding?

Last edited:
I may have to try the Blue Dot too. Right now I have some unique laying around, has anybody tried that? What about H110 or 2400? Just wondering because I am going to be working up a load for my 44 mag and figured I could work up a low recoil load for the 223.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpRustydust, I'm assuming the Bluedot and 40g bullet is really fur friendly on fox and bobcat. Is that your finding?

No, sorry. I have shot nothing larger with that load than our local ground squirrels. But I see no reason at all why they would not work great in fox sized animals. More than twice as powerful as 22 Magnum and lots of folks think that just perfect. Try them and see. I bet they be just fine. And you can probably leave your ear plugs at home as well.

I'm with TCS, my CZ likes the 4895 the best. 26 gr. with 50 Gr. Nosler Ballistic tip Spitzer. Pretty much consistantly under an inch at 100 yds. Also love that set trigger on my CZ.
Oh, BTW, that coyote in my avatar was killed with that load. 166 YDs. frontal chest shot...DRT
Wished I had an AR [beeep], cause I couldn't get a shot on the female that was with him.

Last edited:
Yeah I was looking to buy a 204 but when I saw this Blue Dot idea I figured I could load some up and not buy the 204. I shoot an Encore so it's not like I need it for a follow up shot but I would like to see the shot through the scope.

Back