Remington SPS. Good outta the box?

Add another Remington vote, much better made than some of the other brands folks are pushing. Pull the trigger on one of the new 700 and then go test some of the others. Big difference! The XMark is sweet. You'll find the stock on the 700 is much better too. A friend bought two of the other brand and they won't hold a candle to the 700 when shooting from the bench.

Not all Savages shoot good. I had a heavy barrel .204. The only way to kill a PD with it, was to hit it over the head with the barrel. Not saying all Savages or Remingtons have more problems than any other brand. Just saying guns are like cars. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get the lemon.

What loads were you shooting in your 204? Because my R-15 in 204 is better then me with 32gr, but anything bigger like 40 and 45gr and it really opens up to 2"-3" 5 shot groups. Its because the twist isn't fast enough to stabilize those larger bullets. Mine is a 1:12 twist.

Originally Posted By: joshua wasmundYou missed the dime, haha. Nice shooting!

No he didn't,,, the dime's there to cover up the other bullet hole.

JK VoL,,, nice shooting, and a good choice of firearms in one of my favorite calibers.

I have a 700 SPS 22-250 w/26" hvy bbl that was sub moa out of the box. I have at least 300 rounds through it and not one trigger issue and is stil sub moa. I roll my own and it shoots .5s @ 100 yds. I hit clays out to 400yds.......I like it.

I just did a quick check over on the Long Range Hunting site and the 700 pretty much rules over there with the next best thing listed as a Savage with Accu Stock and Trigger. Even the folks giving Savage love post up pictures of their Remington 700s when asked about their best gun. Go figure.
smile.gif

That's good news to me... because i'm sitting here looking at my new 700, 22-250. I got such a deal on it.. I couldn't pass it up... but second thoughts made me wonder if maybe I should not shoot it and just sell it, and take the profit and add it to another gun. But NOW.... no way .... no way.... I'm going to take her dancing to see what kind of moves she has.

Originally Posted By: BBsteelThank god "Tikka" is not in the thread title!

I've also wondered about the sps...good reads.

The problem is he asked about a remmy and I've heard howa, and savage. That's not what he asked about . I can't figure out why people do that stuff

Last edited:
I had a black synthetic stocked 700 ADL in .223 that shot half MOA straight from the box with no alterations or adjustments. Just a VXII 3-9 scope.
I now have a 700 SPS stainless in .22-250, that was sub MOA right from the box with factory ammo, and will shoot my handloads into half inch.
I would not hesitate to buy another SPS Remington 700, though I do prefer the SPS stainless over the blued model.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyOriginally Posted By: BBsteelThank god "Tikka" is not in the thread title!

I've also wondered about the sps...good reads.

The problem is he asked about a remmy and I've heard howa, and savage. That's not what he asked about . I can't figure out why people do that stuff

I have also seen a lot of heavy barrel varmint type rifles(calibers) mentioned here, when the OP asked about a deer rifle in 270/30-06 etc.

That don't even bother me... As long as their speaking on behalf of. remmy. But if I ask about a remmy don't try to sell me anything else or give me info about it....

Any time a manufacturer makes a lower end "entry" model, quality becomes more iffy, completely apart from design differences. That's generally true whether you are talking about Savage vs Stevens, Tikka vs Sako, or SPS vs BDL (or 40X), and includes any other type of product as well (GEO vs Cadillac).

Other than design and material differences, one major difference that's usually overlooked is manufacturing tolerances and the other biggie is quality control inspections. Where custom rifles have very tight tolerances and 100% QC inspections, lower end mass produced rifles have "looser" tolerances and often less than 1% QC inspections

That's why you can possibly get a low end product that's near perfect, but may also get one that's closer to junk.

As to the original question, bear in mind that until relatively recently, the very best high end big game hunting rifle manufacturers bragged about 1 1/2 moa accuracy, while most didn't mention accuracy at all.

For "normal" big game ranges (200yds or less), a 2 or even 3moa rifle will do the job just fine.

There's also the consideration that even most "dogs" can be fairly easily turned into at least "respectable" shooters with a little backyard gunsmithing you can do yourself.

If you like the look and feel of the SPS and it suits your budget, buy it.

I have sps tact in .308. it came with a 3# trigger and shoots very well. the target is at 100yds the top shot is a win round for fouling in a clean barrel the group is 5 rounds of Hornady match ammo. sorry I cant tell you about the .270 or 30.06
2589n.jpg

TgtGfx.jpg

Last edited:
Just opened my new/first 700, an SPS Tactical .223. Picked it up at 3:30 and already put a Coyote special on it. Can't wait to see what it can do.

Back