Remington SPS. Good outta the box?

spiaailli,

Agreed, Any manufacture can turn out a tomato stake now and then. I would also agree that the old tupperware stocks that Savage and Stevens used were not very good.However, niether are/were the plastic stocks on the Remmy 700sps ( not talking tactical or PS etc ..) . But, they hit the price point. I do have to give some credit to Savage for at least addressing the issue with the Accu-stock . I have not been able to shoot one but it is surely an improvment over old tupperware stocks. I have been looking around at the Savage model 16/116 in either .243 or 25-06 just to try one out. These models include both the accu-trigger and accu-stock and I would expect them to be shooters at a reasonable price point ( around $560 ).
I have not had the opportunity to shoot an Edge/Axis so I have zero experiance with these models.
As far as resale, The upper end Savages ( model 10's , 12's, etc ) do very well. The Stevens are often bought just for a donor action with the intent of building a semi custom.

This is a great site, two people can actually discuss the merits of rifle builders without the fanboy label whoring that is so common on other sites.
thumbdown.gif

BTW: If you're ever in NE TN and want to shoot a Savage I've got a few.

Mike

The best shooting out of the box rifle I ever owned, (including AR's) was a Remington 700 ADL synthetic in .223 Remington. It was the cheapest model 700 a guy could buy at the time. Matte blue barreled receiver, blind magazine black plastic stock, non jeweled bolt, pre x-mark trigger. Not nearly as nice a rifle as the ADL's of the 70's that came with high gloss wood, polished blued steel, and a jeweled bolt. I brought it home, mounted a Leupold VXII 3-9 scope, then went to the range to zero the scope. When I got it on paper, I proceeded to shoot one clover leaf three shot group after another, with Black Hills 52 grain reman match ammo, using just a sand bag under the forearm, as I fine tuned the scopes zero. Remington soon replaced this style of ADL with the SPS. The SPS came with a magazine floor plate but was otherwise the same as that ADL, including the black tupperware stock.
A couple years ago I got the bug for a weather proof, lightweight, calling rifle. I was turned off by the price of a 700 LVSF, so I setteled for a model 700 SPS stainless in .22-250. Saved me about $350.00 out the door, but I had to deal with that cheap tupperware stock, and a not so finely finished barrel and receiver. I took the rifle home, mounted a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14 scope, and took it to the range. I got the scope zeroed then proceeded to shoot sub MOA three shot groups, using 55 grain Federal Premium ammo. I've now adjusted the X-mark trigger to 3 pounds and worked up a handload that shoots between .5 and .75 inches. The rifle still sports its black plastic tupperware stock complete with the pressure point in the forearm. I don't have a penny more in either of these rifles than I paid for them the day I brought them home. Cheap stocks and all, they work just fine. I've had similar experiences with every Remington 700 rifle I've owned since the first I bought in 1978. In fact, my next bolt rifle will be a SPS stainless in .243 Winchester.
I will say that these rifles aren't as nicely finished as a BDL or a LVSF, but they don't cost as much either. I don't see any difference at all in accuracy or reliability in them though. The ADL's and SPS's I've owned have shot just the same as my BDL's.

Back