Suppressors ####Updated guys#####

What are his dimensions of the can? Weight? FRP noise? Average supression noise? What are the materials used? I wouldn't necessarily go with the local guy unless he's going to be a good value compared to other cans on the market. There are the higher end AAC type cans, but the ones like Griffan Armament, YHM, etc are all good values, although generally (especially YHM) tend to be a bit heavier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gonzagaSo who are gonna go with? Who is the guy or company that you are going to play with? I am interested, especially at a price like that.

I have heard that several guys saying that they buy a can for 30 cal, but my bigger guns don't have bull barrels, just my varmint guns. So I think I will just get the 5.56 for my .223 and the 22-250 and my .22 mag and my 10/22.

Pm sent gonzaga

Quote:I have heard that several guys saying that they buy a can for 30 cal, but my bigger guns don't have bull barrels, just my varmint guns. So I think I will just get the 5.56 for my .223 and the 22-250 and my .22 mag and my 10/22.

Gonzaga,
You can take either a thin or bull barrel and thread it and put on a can.
I took a sporter barrel on a 100% stock Savage rifle, had the smith cut it down to 16.5 inches and thread it.
The riflesmith that threaded my barrel showed me his set up.
He has one 30 cal can and shoots it on every thing from 300 WinMag to his 17 Ackley Hornet.
Barrel profile isn't really a factor.
20091127001.jpg

Ok, heres a question I have been thinking about (maybe you guys can make some sense of what I am trying to ask here)...Would it make more sense to purchase a caliber specific silencer or a larger .30 cal silencer to fit several firearms? Sure, It would definitely be cheaper to buy a one size fits all silencer rather than five caliber specific silencers BUT... Wouldnt the extra space around a .30 cal silencer kinda defeat the purpose of trying to suppress the noise created by a smaller caliber like the .223? I thought the physics regarding a silencer were to try and capture the sound within the baffles of the silencer. If you used a larger caliber silencer wouldnt this allow more gasses to escape the barrel and allow more sound to be created?
I'll ask the question another way.

Which would work better? A .223 caliber specific silencer or a .30cal silencer mounted up to a .223?

Originally Posted By: TexasTexas95

Which would work better? A .223 caliber specific silencer or a .30cal silencer mounted up to a .223?

Generally the larger size of the silencer and/or increased number of baffles offsets the bore size mismatch. I am pleased with my .204 suppressed with a .308 can.

TT95,
What you are asking is what I wish I would have done the first time around.I wish I would have bought a larger can and shot it on several rifles. It all boils down to efficiency. The can is most efficient while shooting a bullet matched to the can, and less efficient shooting a bullet smaller than the can. But as you will see while doing your research, a 30 cal can is longer than a 22 cal can. That added space will be beneficial when shooting 22 cal bullets from a 30 cal can.
Also, if you look at some of the can manufacturers, they list a noise reduction of XX decibels. A way that was explained to me that really helped me understand all this is find a pair of hearing protection with a Db reduction rating the same as the can you are thinking of getting. Shoot your unsuppressed rifle using that hearing protection. What you hear is roughly the same as what you will hear using the can and no ear protection.
This is where the efficiency thing comes in. The Db rating of your can will not be as good using a bullet smaller than the can was designed for. Exactly how much I don't know.

Another HUGE thing to remember is suppressors are manufactured so that threads per inch match caliber.
So a 22 cal can is threaded 1/2x28, stand threads on all AR type rifles with flash hiders or the like.
6.8 cans are threaded differently....
30 cal cans are 5/8x20 correction 5/8"x24, I do believe. (not 100% sure, but you get the point)
So, is you have a collection of AR's and a bolt action deer rifle in 30 cal and want to use one can on all rifles, you can, but you will have to have all of your AR's rethreaded to 5/8x24.
So in your endeavors to be more frugal and save money on cans, you will spend some money rethreading some rifles and making them only usedful to you. Someone else may not want that rifle with those odd threads on it.
Just food for thought.
HTH
Mark

Last edited:
Most 30cal's are threaded 5/8x24 I had my 223ai threaded that way. The threads are really that big of a deal since there are thread adapters available or if you go with a quick detach muzzle break/flash hider setup.

The hardest part about choosing one is which company to go with, atleast for me.

They make thread adapters for the 1/2-28 up to 5/8-24.
Search youtube For TBAC or Thunderbeast arms. They shoot a 22 and a few other calibers through their 30 caliber cans.

Originally Posted By: TexasTexas95Ok, heres a question I have been thinking about (maybe you guys can make some sense of what I am trying to ask here)...Would it make more sense to purchase a caliber specific silencer or a larger .30 cal silencer to fit several firearms? Sure, It would definitely be cheaper to buy a one size fits all silencer rather than five caliber specific silencers BUT... Wouldnt the extra space around a .30 cal silencer kinda defeat the purpose of trying to suppress the noise created by a smaller caliber like the .223? I thought the physics regarding a silencer were to try and capture the sound within the baffles of the silencer. If you used a larger caliber silencer wouldnt this allow more gasses to escape the barrel and allow more sound to be created?
I'll ask the question another way.

Personally, I wish I would have bought the .30 caliber can now. Instead of the dedicated .223 can. I like the multi-purpose aspects nowdays.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: sharkathmiTT95,
What you are asking is what I wish I would have done the first time around.I wish I would have bought a larger can and shot it on several rifles. It all boils down to efficiency. The can is most efficient while shooting a bullet matched to the can, and less efficient shooting a bullet smaller than the can. But as you will see while doing your research, a 30 cal can is longer than a 22 cal can. That added space will be beneficial when shooting 22 cal bullets from a 30 cal can.
Also, if you look at some of the can manufacturers, they list a noise reduction of XX decibels. A way that was explained to me that really helped me understand all this is find a pair of hearing protection with a Db reduction rating the same as the can you are thinking of getting. Shoot your unsuppressed rifle using that hearing protection. What you hear is roughly the same as what you will hear using the can and no ear protection.
This is where the efficiency thing comes in. The Db rating of your can will not be as good using a bullet smaller than the can was designed for. Exactly how much I don't know.

Another HUGE thing to remember is suppressors are manufactured so that threads per inch match caliber.
So a 22 cal can is threaded 1/2x28, stand threads on all AR type rifles with flash hiders or the like.
6.8 cans are threaded differently....
30 cal cans are 5/8x20 I do believe. (not 100% sure, but you get the point)
So, is you have a collection of AR's and a bolt action deer rifle in 30 cal and want to use one can on all rifles, you can, but you will have to have all of your AR's rethreaded to 5/8x20.
So in your endeavors to be more frugal and save money on cans, you will spend some money rethreading some rifles and making them only usedful to you. Someone else may not want that rifle with those odd threads on it.
Just food for thought.
HTH
Mark

I agree, except if you go with a fast attach can. The QD flash-hiders come in different thread pitches. The YHM 30 cal can will screw right on the YHM .223 flash hiders. Same with the AAC now. 30 cal.762-SD 51-tooth, will screw on the 51 tooth M4-2000 mounts.

Ok that all sounds good and I get the thread pitch. I would probably have each barrel threaded to it's generally accepted pitch and use several quick detatch flash hiders threaded for the particular can I want to use.

I was looking around silencertalk.com and it appears that while most silencers appear to be effective, nobody can give a straight answer as to which one is best/most effective. Everyone has their own opinions as to which is best, and it looks like every single manufacturer likes to bash the other ones horrible silencers... at least in the silencer market. So, how am I gonna pick one? I like the AAC cans and the fact that there are so many options for mounts and such, little pricey though IMHO. Plus my dealer here in town is gonna carry AAC and Gemtech so really those two manufacturers are my only choices. I really dont want to go through all the hassle of ordering from one NFA so he can ship to another NFA and wait and all the other BS involved in trying to get a device used specifically for SAFETY purposes! The longest I wanna have to wait before I start shooting is however long it takes to get my paperwork and tax stamp approved.

You guys are killing me here....I'm in envy. Sorry to get off subject but if any of you guys have ANY info on lobbying done in your state to get supressor use passed, please send it on.

I know you Texas guys probably could have been using them since they were developed. I should have been born there!

Quote:They make thread adapters for the 1/2-28 up to 5/8-24.
Personally, unless the adapter was made by one of the suppressor manufacturers for this specific purpose, I would not use one. The directions that came with my G5 stated specifically NOT to use a crush or peel washer when installing the G5 QD adapter. Their reasoning was it is one more area where misalignment can happen. In a 8 or 10 inch can (30 cal), it don't take much deviation in alignment to get an end cap strike.

Quote:The QD flash-hiders come in different thread pitches.
Yes, you are right. I forgot about that. I was thinking more along the lines of the thread on type. But again, you are correct with your information.
Lots to be thinking about as far as options.

I hope all the chatter is enticing a lot of folks to buy a suppressor.
It's no big deal, just takes time.
In the United Kingdom it is somewhat socially expected of you, due to population density.
Personally, I feel the more people that exercise their Second Amendment Rights, the stronger the Second Amendment becomes.
That's just what I believe.
YMMV

Originally Posted By: TexasTexas95Ok that all sounds good and I get the thread pitch. I would probably have each barrel threaded to it's generally accepted pitch and use several quick detatch flash hiders threaded for the particular can I want to use.

I was looking around silencertalk.com and it appears that while most silencers appear to be effective, nobody can give a straight answer as to which one is best/most effective. Everyone has their own opinions as to which is best, and it looks like every single manufacturer likes to bash the other ones horrible silencers... at least in the silencer market. So, how am I gonna pick one? I like the AAC cans and the fact that there are so many options for mounts and such, little pricey though IMHO. Plus my dealer here in town is gonna carry AAC and Gemtech so really those two manufacturers are my only choices. I really dont want to go through all the hassle of ordering from one NFA so he can ship to another NFA and wait and all the other BS involved in trying to get a device used specifically for SAFETY purposes! The longest I wanna have to wait before I start shooting is however long it takes to get my paperwork and tax stamp approved.

Unfortunately, you will find the bashing everywhere. One little tidbit, silencertalk is basically run by AAC folks. Not sure if they are employees or fanboys, a little bias over there. Still a decent site,,,

I think in general, they all work. Some are a few decibels quieter than others, some are a lot lighter than others. You just need to figure out what you want, narrow down the search.

A lot of people don't like the YHM Phantoms. Kind of ugly, heavy, but they are tanks. Since I hunt with a can, I like cans on the lighter side. Which means the cost tends to go up as well. Thread on cans are usually a bit cheaper than fast attach. You get the idea,,,

There are a number of manufacturers out there. I'm sure someone makes what your looking for. There is no getting around the wait though. You won't go wrong staying with the bigger manufacturers. I know SWR has good C.S., only one I know of for sure.

I will say, I have an AAC M4-2000 and it is a really nice can! But as I said before, I kind of wish I had bought the 762-SD instead. That way I could have used it on my .243. Now I have to buy another can for that.

There is a couple other web sites, that show sound testing results. One is free, one you have to pay to see. http://www.silencerresearch.com/ http://nfatalk.org/forum/

Do some research. If you can find a good dealer near you, that will let you hear some cans. Do it,,,

i have the YHM Phantom QD and yes it's def heavy, but if the weight is that much of an issue, I feel it can be made up for in other areas. Lighter boots, lighter gear, or just lose some weight off the belly. A few oz is nothing to lose sleep over. ESPECIALLY when you consider the value and results compared to weight.

I'd rather have something heavy, built like a tank, same db reduction and lower cost. YHM seems to produce all that with even more db reduction than others that cost more.

I have to quit reading this thread. It keeps reminding me of how long ago my paperwork went in. I was supposed to forget so that time would pass faster.

I went with the 6.8 can from AAC with the QD MCDs for my .223 and my 6.8. MCDs are here. Just need the can.

Originally Posted By: AnkenySure wish I could hunt predators with a suppressed rifle in Wyoming. Bummer.

Don't feel bad. Washington will allow you to own them. But, they won't allow you to use them in Washington.
lol.gif

Sorry sendit223, couldn't help myself. Hopefully your lawmakers will pull their heads out soon.

Back