Suppressors ####Updated guys#####

Right you are Gonzaga.

Trukreltrog - I have a dream....that one day ALLLLLLLLLL ears will be protected and that tinitus will be a thing of the past....because ALLLLLLLL rifles can have hearing protection devices....

And on that day coyote hunters from Oregon and Washington and Wyoming and yes Commiefornia can sit down together and call in suppressed unison.

I have a dream......

Originally Posted By: sendit223Right you are Gonzaga.

Trukreltrog - I have a dream....that one day ALLLLLLLLLL ears will be protected and that tinitus will be a thing of the past....because ALLLLLLLL rifles can have hearing protection devices....

And on that day coyote hunters from Oregon and Washington and Wyoming and yes Commiefornia can sit down together and call in suppressed unison.

I have a dream......

Nice! That's a great dream.
thumbup.gif

I really hate going to the range, to shoot quietly.
wink.gif
Only to have someone sit in the next lane, with an unsuppressed .338 magnum.
cursing.gif

I would ad, that you should be able to buy a suppressor just like a gun. No 5 month wait,,,
grin.gif

AAC m42k and 762sdn-6. Running on my dtech 223, 25 DTI, 243 wssm and a 6.5 from SD. Got them from silenced America. Sponsor on this board. Great guy!

So for the short of all this.

To purchase a Class 3 item, Suppressor, SBR or even Full Auto firearm, you must either create a Revocable living trust (Lawyer preferred) or Form 4 must be sent in.

(Question - What forms are needed for the trust to be sent to Atf?)

Either way you send $200 to ATF for the (Tax) stamp. Correct?

Pertaining to Suppressors, if someone were to have the capability to make a suppressor themselves, are they still required to submit the forms as above? (I know that Lowers and other types of firearms can be machined for personal use only without having to go through the NICS check or register as a Firearm manufacturer)

If you must still submit the forms for the suppressor to be built, how would that be done? Before or after the build? Do plans have to be submitted, Serialized, etc with the forms?

I would like to build one for my own use and just want to be legal. (Knowing my Sheriff in my county, I suspect I will have to go the trust route so I have already contacted the firm that was provided for NFA trusts.

Any other info would be appreciated until I hear back from them.

Originally Posted By: cjdavis618

Pertaining to Suppressors, if someone were to have the capability to make a suppressor themselves, are they still required to submit the forms as above?
yep its called a form 1

Originally Posted By: cjdavis618If you must still submit the forms for the suppressor to be built, how would that be done? Before or after the build? Do plans have to be submitted, Serialized, etc with the forms?
you have to have the form 1 with your serial # u r using on your suppressor approved 1st, once its approved build away.

Thanks for the info Skinney,

Once approved, and the serial number is assigned. If I build it and leave the outer tube intact with serial, would I be able to experiment with the baffle designs without having to resubmit for a new stamp?

Originally Posted By: WSMBUCKI am just going to have to find somewhere to shoot one, i believe all what yall saying , but then i have the same amount of guys telling me different and i have watched alot of videos of guys shooting them with supersonic and sub's and they is a BIG difference in sound, I just dont want to pay $1000 and it not do much unless iam shooting subsonic rounds.

As far as recoil , i am not worried about that at all i shoot a TC Prohunter 375 h&h Deer hunter , so the little 223, 6.5 and 6x45 wont be nothing. Just wanting it for the noise deal. Thanks guys for all the help.

Billy, This has been covered already but I'll throw my hat in the ring. A suppressed gun won't be silent like in the movies. What it does do is muffle the blast of gasses exiting the barrel. It essentially sounds the same as if you were wearing ear protection. The big advantage in hunting is that while they can hear the sonic crack of the bullet they cannot locate the origin of the shot, so you tend to get more follow up shots. I can't hunt with one here so this is just what I have gotten from folks that do.

You can go subsonic rounds and it will be much quieter, but you lose a lot of velocity and range. A good application is the 300 AAC which is a subsonic AR round that many folks use for hog hunting.

Another benefit is reduced recoil which even on light recoiling guns can improve accuracy. If you purchase a 30 caliber can you can still use it on smaller rounds, so one can will be useful on multiple guns.

I think they are awesome and definitely addicting. The Thunderbeast 30p1 is a great choice as an accurate can.

The one advantage I have heard about going the trust route is that you can name beneficiaries with no hassle. Technically without one if you were to pass away, anyone in possession of your can would be in violation of federal law for possessing the suppressor until they completed a transfer. You have to have the paperwork with you whenever you have the can.

Originally Posted By: cjdavis618

Once approved, and the serial number is assigned. If I build it and leave the outer tube intact with serial, would I be able to experiment with the baffle designs without having to resubmit for a new stamp?

definitely wouldn't do that.

Originally Posted By: cjdavis618Thanks Skinney,

I guess doing that wouldn't make the ATF any more money huh..

Oh well, thought I would ask.

ya, you know the ATF is the ATF... kind of sad how people are so [beeep] scared of our gov these days, over a piece of equipment that should be flat out courteous to use @ the range or while hunting... and being in the same category or class as a SBR or full auto??? i mean come on...

I agree totally. I just don't like having to go through months of waiting to purchase something that my gun can use that my truck already has.

So since the Heller decision came down, do you think it would be easier to get Suppressors removed from the ATF control or get SBRS and Full auto re-instated to civilian ownership without undue taxation.

Do you think Suppressors were added to the "Ban" because there were not very many in use at the time and "Divide and Conquer" came into play, or was it more the movies that misrepresent the device? What could be done to remove them from ATF control? I believe with the current Fast and Furious scandal that they are obviously focused on, it would be a good time to get changes made. They are not in public favor by any means.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjdavis618I agree totally. I just don't like having to go through months of waiting to purchase something that my gun can use that my truck already has.

So since the Heller decision came down, do you think it would be easier to get Suppressors removed from the ATF control or get SBRS and Full auto re-instated to civilian ownership without undue taxation.

Do you think Suppressors were added to the "Ban" because there were not very many in use at the time and "Divide and Conquer" came into play, or was it more the movies that misrepresent the device? What could be done to remove them from ATF control? I believe with the current Fast and Furious scandal that they are obviously focused on, it would be a good time to get changes made. They are not in public favor by any means.

i just talked with grizzly johnson (a member here) he asked a similar ?... i was thinking about starting a petition on my facebook page, but it would be one [beeep] of a ride... and pry wouldn't do any good.

The Second Amendment does not mention suppressors, so good luck.

I bought a 308 YMH Phantom SS QD 308 for my multi use cal. I currently have a QD mount on my 223 AR and a 17 HMR and have the paperwork for a SBR which I will chamber for 300 BLK (Whisper knockoff). It will be here Wed. It is rated for up to the 300 RUM so built like a tank and while not the best numbers in suppression, it is not the worst.

I started in Feb so it is quite a wait to get one. If I were to do it again I think a 22 Can would be the first as you can get them pretty darn quiet and then perhaps a 45 pistol can which you can use with anything under 45 cal (with the right purchase, they have interchangeable adaptors for different thread pitch). It can also be used on the 300 Blackout.

Quote:Do you think Suppressors were added to the "Ban" because there were not very many in use at the time and "Divide and Conquer" came into play, or was it more the movies that misrepresent the device? What could be done to remove them from ATF control? I believe with the current Fast and Furious scandal that they are obviously focused on, it would be a good time to get changes made. They are not in public favor by any means.....Suppressors were included in the same law initially as the requirement to have a Tax Stamp for a fully automatic weapon, back in the 1930s...The idea being that the criminals would not normally get the Tax Stamp, and therefore, if caught with one, it was just another charge to levy against them...

Many states adopted the policy of not allowing them for hunting purposes, due to the potential for poachers to go about their business undetected...This has slowly changed for some as the populations become more dense...

Missouri State Law just recently allowed the possession of one, but still restricts the use of one to certain situations, as I understand it...certainly not for hunting...

in process of saving up for A supressor from our friends and silenced america (PM sponsor). Talked to him on the phone, AWESOME guy, very very very helpful. A fine American. Also, for you mississippi guys, there is a store in oxford mississippi called mississippi auto arms. good people. Lawyers that own a gun store.....they are awesome.

Back