Perfect coyote rifle

MMM

I am sure this topic has been covered before so I appologise for the repeat. I want a new coyote gun for calling in Ohio. 200 yards will be a long shot, but I would like it be accurate enough to kill a crow at 100 yards a least,prefer 200 yards. The rifle will be carried more than shot so compact, light easy to handle are important factors. I am open to any action type and a price limit of $5,000. Not interested in an AR, and I have nothing against them I own one I just do not enjoy hunting with it. I appreciate any ideas thoughts opinions or experiences that you all can share.

only $5,000? Not gonna be able to get much with that
wink.gif

Just messin with ya! What is your ammo situation like (do you reload or care about ammo prices)? IF I WAS YOU, id find something in 223 just because I like cheap ammo and with 200 yards being the max the ballistics will be ight..

Ive had my eye on the 700 VTR. Light and supposed to be a good shooter...

I'd look at the Remington model 7.

Should be fine for what your wanting to do. Light, and accurate. 200 yrds is a chip shot really for any decent rifle. Not saying that 200yrds is an easy field shot, but you practicing is probably more important than having the best (most expensive) rifle.

Just trying to make the point that I am looking for the best set up not a bargain. I also like the 223 for my caliber choice but am open to other ideas. I do reload but I like shooting better so again the 223 looks attractive.

CZ 527 Nice and light and accurate as can be. Only downsides are the less than attractive magazine/triggergaurd (easily milled off ) and replace the 5 shot mag with the 3 shot mag and you are setup.

^ I know brotha just messin with ya!

Ive loved every 700 that ive ever owned. I held one of the VTRs and I just loved the way it felt. Id at least give it a look

If an AR is out(about the most perfect coyote rifle made imo) and had a few bucks to spend I would get a Cooper and scope it with some good glass. I don't know their model numbers but I think they make a .223 class repeater. TTT

I shoot a 22-250. If it is for Coyotes, I'd go with 22-250 or 220 swift. 200 yards is just a step for either. You will fry a coyote with either of them. I went with the model 7 predator in 22-250 because it was compact and easy to carry, but that is not the only compact option. I'd look at the Savage and some other options maybe. The VTR has a triangle barrel and a muzzel break. Don't know why you would need either. Its gonna be loud and you will lose some stank on your bullet, but you will still have that cool triangle barrel that shoots like a round one. With the price range you have there, a custom job would be un-necessary, but well within your budget if you wanted one built just the way you like it. Hope this helps! Shoot me a PM anytime!

Originally Posted By: Jeepdude1987I'd look at the Remington model 7.

YEP!
I like the Model Seven CDL.
Send it to Greg Tannel or Bob Green for accurising, put a Leupold 2.4-8 VXIII in some Tally Light Weights and you're good to go.

Even better is a 700 Classic in 17Rem with a Pac-Nor Barrel and same scope.
Like this.
smile.gif

noname147.jpg

Unfortunately, this one's not for sale at any price.

Seriously though, the best way to get the perfect Coyote rifle (or any other specific use) is to put one togeather the way YOU want it. A Remmy 700 or Mdl Seven is a great platform to build on with lots of options available, and most gunsmith's cut their teeth on em.
The CZ American mentioned above is a great place to start too.
I rebarreled this one and had the magazine mod done.
Picture284-1.jpg

It's my second favorite next to the 700 above.

FWIW,,, I don't have five K in both of em including the glass, and I'd put either of em up against any "Hunting Rig".
They're both exactly how I want em, and like I said "I wouldn't sell either of em.

Lots of way's to go, but having something different from the crowd, and built to YOUR needs has allot of merit.

Luck

Friend of mine has a Remington 700 in a .243. It's a tack driver at 200 yards. Very nice setup. With the kind of budget you have a Kimber or a Tikka with real nice optics would do the trick.

i definetly agree with justin10mm! for that kind of money, id prolly have a custom built gun in a rem. 700 or savage 12 series action and prolly a kimber, cooper, or some other exotic factory gun. Its all in your preference and the distances and conditions ull be shooting in. .17 fb all the way to 25-06 are all good caliber choices

Don't know about you, but here's my perfect coyote rifle. Rem 700, 24" PAC-NOR SSSM 1-14" tube chambered to .223AI and all settled into a laminated thumbhole stock with a quality piece of glass on top in 3x-16x variable. Oh come to think of it, I just built this exact gun!! LOL

1009100910.jpg

Originally Posted By: justin10mm

RePete: That is one SWEET M700!

Thanks
I bought it new. It mined copper like that was it's job, but shot pretty good.
Shot it for about eight years until I tired of cleaning every four or five rounds and finally bit the bullet (
blush.gif
) and re barreled it with a 22", three grove, 9twist, Pac-Nor.
Should have done it from the start.
frown.gif

I love this rifle but the little CZ in 17FB (same barrel) is no slouch either.

Take it from a guy who has been there, done that.

I might make 10 stands in a 24 hour cycle of hunting. Some in daylight some in dark. Something with a detachable magazine is very convenient, but you have to remember that in Ohio, a rifle with a loaded magazine in the same vehicle is a no no.

As far as calibers go- that's a moot point. Our shots are not long. Ive used 22 lr up thru a 257wthby mag. My favorite rifle to use is my Mini mauser in 223, because of its reliability and very light weight. Consider where your going to hunt, is something "quieter" going to be in order? If your anywhere near southeastern ohio, look me up. Ill let you play around with what Ive got and maybe it will help your decisions.

Back