Perfect coyote rifle

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Originally Posted By: t/c223encoreIf your not interested in an AR, your not interested in the perfect coyote rifle.

t/c223encore. I cant agree with this one,,, I prefer light rifles, and rarely feel undergunned without a 10 rnd Mag. But then I dont get stampeded by Coyotes.
grin.gif

I like heavy rifles, and having another shot ready as soon as you pull the trigger is better than working a bolt. Thats why i say theres no better rifle than an AR.

t/c223encore.

For $5K I will clean you up a Rem M7, Ruger Compact, or CZ 527 in any caliber you want(.17 FB, .17Rem,.22H,.221FB,.204, .222, .223) with any glass you want. (Mueller, Redfield, Leupold, Nikon)

Then I will pocket the other $3k and send you a shooter that will compete with any $5k rifle.

Sorry had to do it! Now I'll go back and read all the posts.

I don't have one, but I once heard an avid hunter proclaiming the merits of the Savage 24F 223 over 12 as the perfect coyote gun. If I recall he mounted a 1.5x shotgun scope on it. This thread turned into a money thread because of the OPs budget but if you can find one it might be a good choice. I would expect this would be around 500 dollars with descent glass (rifle used, not sure if you can buy it new anymore).

Saw a nice little Italian O/U 12ga over 5.6x50R(222 Rem Mag + Rimmed) with a Leupold Vari-X II 1x4x20mm. Looks like it would be the ticket for coyotes, rifle barrel is a single set trigger. Double triggers so there is no barrel selector to fool with or hammers to cock.

AWS

Each persons perfect coyote rifle will be different, at the present time mine is a CZ 527 in 221 Fireball with a Leupold 3.5-10 x 40 scope on it. Even my favorite changes from time to time though.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43Each persons perfect coyote rifle will be different, at the present time mine is a CZ 527 in 221 Fireball with a Leupold 3.5-10 x 40 scope on it. Even my favorite changes from time to time though.

Nice Pick!

I sent you a p.m. I'm in Columbus and have a Steyr Pro Hunter in .223. Since you prefer a high quality bolt action, this would definitely qualify. It retails for $1200 and I'm selling it for $725 with Leupold bases installed. It's 0.6 MOA with Winchester white box ammo, so you can grab some at Walmart and be on your way. You're welcome to try it out. I'm sure you'll agree that it's superior to the usual Remington/ Winchester/ Ruger options and is a better design than even the expensive Coopers.

This one's been working pretty well for me:

005-2.jpg

It's a .243 Win. Tikka T3 Lite with a Zeiss 3-9 Conquest and a Z600 reticle.

I've got one in the works with a #1 contour barrel on a 700 action in a Manners SL stock. I'll probably put a Nightforce Compact 2.5-10x32 on it in some Talley rings.
I doubt that it'll out shoot the Tikka by much.

SAKO would be my top pick! Any sako in .223 or .222 would do it for me!

If not a sako then the kimber posted already.

After that and in the budget catagory the tikka t-3 but really I don't think the high dollar sako is going to shoot much better then my T-3.

For scopes the zeiss is nice but really more power then I would need out to 200 yards. I vote for a 1.5-5x20mm vx3. Mine rarely gets off 1.5 in the field. FOV is far more important than power. I can shoot moa all day long with 5x. Its small easy to carry size and forgiving eye relief are what make it so great and fast on target. It is also awesome on 1.5 with both eyes open. You can follow and swing on targets soooo much better its almost like a shotgun.

With the technology today even a cheap savage edge can drive tacks out of the box. 5,000 bucks is better spent on ammo, gas, and tags.

$5000 could buy a very accurate beat around rifle and a really nice 4x4 ATV, thats what I would do anyway...

If 200 yards is a long shot, you can always do the CZ527 in 221 Fireball. Cheap to reload,light, and it comes with a set trigger that pretty much knocks the socks off of any other factory trigger out of the box. Plus it will leave you with plenty of left over to afford some really nice optics for it. LOL. Cost $750.00
cz527american.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varmintgitterIf 200 yards is a long shot, you can always do the CZ527 in 221 Fireball. Cheap to reload,light, and it comes with a set trigger that pretty much knocks the socks off of any other factory trigger out of the box. Plus it will leave you with plenty of left over to afford some really nice optics for it. LOL. Cost $750.00
cz527american.png

The smaller calibers could really shine if you don't shoot past 200 yards. The .221 FB or .222 rem would be a toss up!

I wouldn't mind a CZ if the dealers around here wouldn't take off the rings and try to sell them to you seperate for like $60.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Originally Posted By: varmintgitterIf 200 yards is a long shot, you can always do the CZ527 in 221 Fireball. Cheap to reload,light, and it comes with a set trigger that pretty much knocks the socks off of any other factory trigger out of the box. Plus it will leave you with plenty of left over to afford some really nice optics for it. LOL. Cost $750.00
cz527american.png

The smaller calibers could really shine if you don't shoot past 200 yards. The .221 FB or .222 rem would be a toss up!

So true both are great calibers, I love the long neck and the accuracy that comes with the 222 and it still has plenty of punch for the 55 grain bullets, but the 221 FB is fun because you can use faster powders such as H4227 and Lil gun and its so cheap to reload once you have the brass.

Originally Posted By: thebestofindicaThe gun above would be one heck of a gun, but .223 doesn't buck the wind that well.

Really ???

A high BC bullet will work plenty well on yotes with in the .223 killing range.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: thebestofindicaThe gun above would be one heck of a gun, but .223 doesn't buck the wind that well.

Really ???

A high BC bullet will work plenty well on yotes with in the .223 killing range.

I have killed Coyotes out to 300 hundred yards no problem with just standard 55 grain varmint bullets myself. I have shot both 223 and 22-250 and while the latter gives slightly higher performance most people don't realize that a 223 has 90% of the performance of the 22-250 with a lot longer barrel life. i love both cartridges but I think they have a lot more in common then differences and both are plenty of gun for coyotes. If long distance is peoples game then i would recommend stepping up to a larger cartridge such as a 243 where you can shoot heavier bullets that will retain the energy out further. No matter what cartridge people choose I think the important thing is people learn what their rifle/cartridge combo is capable of and its limitations and become proficient in using it in different situations. I hate seeing people trying to turn 45-70's into 458 Winchester Magnums with insane handloads or people thinking they can kill coyotes at 200 yards with a 17 Rimfire. Once you know what you are working with, you are better equipped in getting the rest of the varibles in the hunt taken care of and finding out what needs to get done to be sucessful. Good post Tim.

Originally Posted By: varmintgitter I think the important thing is people learn what their rifle/cartridge combo is capable of and its limitations and become proficient in using it in different situations. I hate seeing people trying to turn 45-70's into 458 Winchester Magnums with insane hand loads or people thinking they can kill coyotes at 200 yards with a 17 Rim fire. Once you know what you are working with, you are better equipped in getting the rest of the variables in the hunt taken care of and finding out what needs to get done to be successful.

Uhhh,,, excuse me,,, this is the Internet and we don't really appreciate common sense around here.
We find it much easier to simply blame the gun and/or ammo manufacturer.
grin.gif

All kidding aside, very well said sir.

Thanks for all the ideas! I did not intend to imply that I am trying to throw $5,000 at this project, but that I want to do it right and don't want to limit myself with an arbitrary maximum cost. I have an AR, a Benelli Super Black Eagle, a heavy barrel 22-250, a .222 Merkel Single Shot, a bock drilling 7x64r/22hornet/12ga. I have killed coyotes with all of them but they just are not what I want or perfect to my mind.
I like the idea of a semi auto but I just don't like hunting with my AR. I just like classic hunting rifles. Minis are not worth the trouble to my mind.
The CZ/,Rem m7/ Kimber/ any small light weight bolt gun might be good.
Accuracy first but a Browning Lever gun? A Remington pump, a 5.7x28 semi auto sportier if anyone makes it?
Please keep the ideas coming they are helping a lot. Thanks!

Back