Hey guys! Looking for some advice

B. Miller

Hey everyone...first off let me say I am new here and really like what I see. I can't wait to sort through the pages and pages of threads in all the forums.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

I have been wanting to get in the woods more for quite some time, as the two week of rifle season for deer here in Pennsylvania just isn't enough. Soooo...there is predator hunting! What am I getting myself into, ya'll? What sort of equipment do I need, etc? I am looking to hunt bear, coyote (especially coyote), fox, pretty much anything!

I am a poor college student so hopefully I won't need anything drastic. The only rifle I have is a 7mm08 (and a 22mag if that happens to be big enough). I also have a Daniel Defense M4V3 but I dont think I can hunt with that as it is semi-auto, but rules for coyote might me different.

If anyone is from around here and knows a place to hunt it would be appreciated, as I have several leads to look into but no definite spot.

Thanks for any help guys
thumbup.gif

Your 22 mag will be good 100 yards and in, with good shot placement. A couple hand calls is all you really need and camo from head to ankle face to fingertip. What are you getting yourself into you ask? An addiction that will make you get out before the sun comes up and making dieing animal sounds in the bushes. Your dogs won't like you anymore and your family for that matter cause of all the practicing you will be doing with the hand calls. You will buy multiple predator hunting DVD's and you will watch them over and over. Your family may have you commited if they start thinkin you've gone crazy.

Welcome the the addiction.

t/c223encore.

Id hunt with 7mm-08 if i were you..people tend to have mixed results with the .22mag..Unless you want to save the fur. Just my 2 cents

Lol that's quite a bit! Luckily they think i'm already crazy so that shouldn't a problem.

I am a good shot...dropped every deer I ever shot (well some took a few steps, but i am calling that instinct). I don't think I can bring out two guns or else I would just bring both. Unfortunately, the scope on the 22 is of way less quality than the 7mm08.

I have camo covered for the cold weather seasons since I already hunt deer but in warmer weather I would need some light stuff.

I would want to save the fur..I was saving for a handgun but maybe I could just get a rifle instead. Will a 7mm leave that big of a hole? It doesn't do much to whitetail

you need

your 7mm-08

a pair of shooting sticks (which honestly you dont really need but they help a lot and you can make them out of 2 dollars worth of hardware store material)

any call: my e call is an old fox pro model 48 if it really works i have no clue because i have yet to call something in but ill keep it theres more stuff i can purchase with $300. you can also get a very nice little hand call from one of many call makers on here for $25 and most of them are even cheaper than that and they are pretty nice! just use what you got and if you want you cant beat the call makers on here for great deals

Then if you have it camo but it wont help you majorly its just one of them if you got it then use it but theres not really any need to drop a bunch of money on it

If a poor highschooler can do it i think you can too.(even though i have yet to actually call and kill any coyotes or fox)

yes a 7mm will punch a pretty big hole...If your going to buy a new rifle and you want fur friendly..look into a centerfire 17 (17 remington or 17 fireball), or maybe a .22hornet.

I predator hunt every chance I get. I've killed my share, and I shoot a 22-250. I love my 22-250 and it has never failed me. If I were to give someone some advice on what rifle to get, as far as pelt damage, I'd say 17 fireball. It will be my next one. It has impressed me as far as killing/pelt salvage. 22 mag is great for fox. You will lose some cats and coyotes with it from time to time though. As far as calls, I use TC Custom Diaphragms (cookstaxi on PM). They are cheap, realistic, and very effective. Hope this helps.

first off welome aboard. first all the advice given is good. next i'll say an e-caller is not necessary but will help you out as a beginner in my opinion. if your really wanting a new gun the stevens 200 in .223 is pretty cheap brand new and the savage edge. .223 is pretty fur friendly and ammo is the most easily found and usually best priced. i've shot the stevens for the price it is a great little gun. i've heard nothing but good on the savage edge. alot of guys hae mixed emotions on the .204. never shot one. if you have a shotgun it will also be handy. probably moreso than the rifle. go foxpro if your fonna get an e-caller. they have more economical options to fit guys that are pinching pennies and are as good as the more expencive ones just with less features. the plus of the e-caller is first being able to get the sound away from you which will let you get away with alot more crap than handcalls will. as far as land look into any public hunting land nearby and start knocking on doors and asking. good luck

Last edited:
For fox and bobcat...your 7-08 will be pretty rough on them. For coyotes, just use the same ammo you would use for deer. A heavier constructed bullet will produce a caliber sized entry wound and slightly larger than caliber exit, unless you hit bone.

For a new rifle chambering, if you want "fur friendly", look at the .17 centerfires, .204 Ruger, .223. But many people use .22-250's and .243's for coyotes as well with great success.

As far as brands go, Savage and Stevens make very accurate rifles out of the box and are relatively inexpensive although some of the features are less than desireable i.e. flimsy stocks, astheatics and internal box magazines sans bottom floor plates (some of the newer models have DBM's).

But you really NEED very little to get into predator hunting, mostly just patience and a willingness to learn...and learn from failure.

Welcome aboard, and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are more than a few questions that have been beat to death around here that will get some quick and spicy responses but don't take it personally. There is a wealth of knowledge here at your disposal...use it.

Chupa

Thanks everyone! The advice is greatly appreciated. I will try to avoid the questions that are "beat to death"...there is a search button. I'll use it lol

As far as the gun thing goes, I am going to go check out all the local gun shops to see if they have any good deals. I know CZ makes good handguns for the price...how are their rifles? Something in .223 wouldn't be bad since I already have a rifle chambered in that like I said. Just for the heck of it, here it is...
IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

CZ makes a heck of a rifle, you just have to get used to the reversed safety. Is the AR not legal for hunting in your AO? That would be ideal.

Chupa

If your looking for a rifle, go to the Cabelas off rt 78 in reading and look at the savage edge in 22-250. Thats the rifle I just got. Its like $330 for a scope and rifle combo and it'll prob be the most accurate gun youve ever shot. Mine groups under 1/2in. with factory ammo. I would then buy a mojo critter and some hand calls off this site if you dont have enough for a foxpro.

I don't think I can hunt with a semi in PA. In my county (Allegheny), you actually can't even hunt with a high powered rifle. Being that coyotes are considered a pest, maybe you can use a semi. I'll see if I can find it on their site.

Roachy, I plan on going to Cabelas soon. The one in West Virginia is only an hour away though...hopefully they have the same deal lol

use your 22 mag, get a 5 dollar johnny stewart pc7 hand call and cover yourself in camo!

shooting sticks to "me" is a must!

everyone on here is learning something new about predators everyday! just listen to whate these guys on here are saying, they are very smart!

also if you were going to get that .223 i would recomend it, if not have at it with the mag!

Back