Hey guys! Looking for some advice

Thanks for the confirmation fellas. I'm going to see if I can get a "loan" from my dad. That way I can get a decent set of optics on it...something I forgot to mention. I figured a 3x9 or 4x12 should be plenty.

I have a 527 Varmint like that one in 204, it is a nice rifle. I have a 6.5-20 Alaskan Guide scope on it just because I got a good buy on it when they were discontinued. I would think anything in the 4-12 or 4.5-14 would pretty well cover your needs for a scope. I also have a Kevlar stocked 527 Varmint in 223, I tend to shoot the 204 more than the 223.

I haven't fully decided on anything. That was just what I was looking at, and it caught my eye. $300 bucks isn't bad at all...but I don't mind spending more money on something of a higher quality (to a reasonable limit).

Blackhawk, what are your reasonings for liking the 204 over the 223 if you don't mind me asking?

I didn't mean for it to sound that way...let me try to make a comparison to running shoes. New Balances are good shoes, but for a little more money you can get Sauconys or Asics. New Balances aren't low quality but you can still shell out a little extra cash for something better.

If I weigh my options and see it isn't worth it, I would definitely get a Stevens. Hopefully that made sense lol

It's probably just personal preference. I am a light bullet guy, if you like heavy bullets you might be better served with a 223. I think the 204 is easier to find a load that shoots good. Light bullets in the 204 have a higher ballistic coefficient for their weight than 223's which helps in trajectory and wind drift. The Sierra 39 grain Blitz King has a boat-tail and a high bc, it does well in the wind in my experience.

Yea that's not too bad. Remington lists it for a little over 600 on their site if I'm not mistaken. My only complaint is the 26 inch barrel. Seems a little long for me. I've got a 26 inch barrel 22-250 and a 24 inch barrel 22-250. That 2 inches makes a world of difference in my opinion. I've also heard the sps stocks were pretty flimsy

hmmm...I have the same model for my 7mm08 and haven't had any problems. I still need to figure out what caliber I want! lol

I never posted that I highly doubt I would take any shot over 250-300 yards. If any calibers are favorable for longer distances (which i'm pretty sure I read somewhere online), I don't really need that.

Well if you want to save fur. I'd just be looking at 17 centerfires, maybe a 221 fireball, then you just need to find a rifle chambered and that round and go for it. If a 26 inch barrel dosent bother you and you are happy with the feel if the rifle then by all means go with the sps. I'm sure it's a good one

The thing about saving the fur is I have no idea what to do with them. I can easily learn how to skin I think...but after that I know nothing of what to do with them. I have to find a place to sell them I guess. I do want something made out of them though.

I am actually currently looking at the .17FB. will that have enough power to take a yote down beyond 200 yards?

I use my CZ American (not varmint) more than any other. It's in 204 - when I have an exit, it is usually dime to nickle size. I also had very good luck with my Mini-Mauser Mark X in 223, but my brother borrowed it from me (about 10 years ago) He likes it, too!!
Mark

I'm starting to realize that the type of ammo you use is equally as important as the caliber. Are you using FMJ's? I think that's what I would want. I have to check to see how easily available the calibers like .204 and .17FB are around here before I commit to anything (in addition to the prices!)

I checked last night..from what I got it is illegal to hunt with any semi-auto in the state of Pennsylvania. Trust me I would love to use it lol. Although I would probably need to get a new scope, not sure how useful that aimpoint would be (especially with no magnification)

Back