Hit a buck today! Need help

Bryan8

Well today at last light I wacked a nice buck. He was 24yard. When I shot I heard a good thump and the deer bolted out of there at Mach one with tail
down. I heard a loud crash about 100yards off.

But here's the prob. I couldn't find any blood near the shot sight or my arrow? My arrow is deff in the deer as it's not anywere in the grass.

I'm shooting a Martin firecat at 60lbs 29 1/2 draw with rage 2 blades.

Do you think I hit the shoulder and is it a fatal shot? I'm
going to go back out and Start tracking it.

~Bryan

Well I looked and looked any couldn't not find a single drip of blood. Even brought my track dog out and she didn't concentrate on a normal trail like she normally dose when theres a patchy blood trail. Zip nada zero blood or hair. I'm going to check tmw to be sure my arrow hit her

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeMaybe the arrows in a tree,not a deer ? Had that happen several years back. Couldnt find the arrow because if was 15 feet over my head in a sapling. Usually a shoulder blade hit makes a crack and a chest hit makes a thump. A high chest hit with no pass through would not leave much blood for a long time. I would start gridding the area you heard the crash. A GPS is helpful as the trail option can help to show you where you have been. Good luck!

Yes you could have possibly hit the shoulder. I love the Rage heads myself, bit they weren't made to be pushed through a shoulder. My dad had the same thing happen to him with a hog. He hit It In the offset shoulder. Just keep looking, we did find blood probably 150-200 yards away. If you have to get a dog out there. Those Rage are devastating, you just have to be sure not to hit the animal In the shoulder.

As far as being a kill shot, It all depends on what kind of penetration you got. Deer can live through a shoulder hit If your arrow didnt penetrate far enough. If you didnt find your arrow anywhere around there then It probably penetrated at least enough to kill the deer. Look for maybe some of the arrow that broke off or anything like that. You may be able to find a bed close by that has blood In It were he bedded or stopped for a while.

man i feel ya bryan,
i just lost one the other day! if you log on to archery talk there are alot of guys losing theres this year too. must be bad karma this year for whitetails.

also i read on thier website that if you hear a loud thwack you may have heard the shoulder bone getting stumped by the arrow!

Good luck brother, i hopeyou find him!

i bet he hit that shoulder bone!

i feel so bad brother, nothing sucks more than losing a nice deer, im praying for ya man!

good luck

Lonnie

I've seen some gut shot deer that didn't bleed. I had one run somewhere around 1/2 mile. Leg/shoulder shots usually bleed.

You never found the arrow correct? That is a key piece of evidence as to how it was hit. Paunch shot deer are tough to blood trail, the fatty layer tends to plug the hole, especially if there was not a pass through.

I'm sure it wasn't a gut shot. My bow normally cuts through deer like butter, and I would of had a pass through on a gut shot, I'm thinking I hit the shoulder and at the high angle it just didn't bleed.

I cross grided the area sence 7 this morning and nothing not even a drop of blood.

I hate when this happens

~Bryan

i feel ya man, i too by the discription think you hit that ruthless shoulder bone!
im getting my bow tuned wed, its been giving me probs,

these things happen man! the reason the pros find them on tv after shots like this is because the fence around thier property is too high for the hurt deer to jump! we live in the real world of bowhunting, i take my loss 3 days ago as a learning experience. good luck man!

Yep, I thought the same thing about an arrow passing through a gut shot deer. Not always the case. I took a shot that I regreted as soon as I let go of the string one time. It was a 246lbs deer and he was quarting to me when I shot. It went in high and barely jabbed through the bottom gut. Fat plugged the hole and I barely seen any blood at all. After 20 yards or so, there was no blood at all. I watched him run off with my arrow sticking out of him. I had to get a track dog (a dam good one) to find him. Look for buzzards and let us know where he was hit. Good luck

This may not be the right thread for this question, but using a blood/tracking dog was mentioned. I'm wondering how many people use them & how expensive it is to use a dog. How many states is it legal to use dogs to recover wounded game? If you can't use dogs and you can't find the deer (or other animal) do you have any other options? Just curious.

---Ben Jimmy

Back