deer rifle caliber

I made a similar choice years ago when I purchased my first rifle. I bought a Savage 30-06 and am glad I did.

There are a bunch of fantastic cartridges avaliable that disspatch deer sized game easily. Every one prefers his/her own choice for their individual reasons and that is perfectly fine. In fact that subject has been discussed at many campfires at deer camps everywhere and hardly no two people think alike.

I went with the 06 in the event that I may only be able to afford one rifle for all of my big game hunting needs and the 30-06 has been filling freezers for over 100 years.
If by some chance I get an oppertunity to hunt Moose or brown Bear I would not want to do it with a .243 or similar caliber. The 06 may be considered a bit light on dangerous bears but with handloaded heavy bullets they can and do get the job done.

I have shot deer with everything from a 220 swift up to the new short mags and have found that shot placement is a much more important factor then caliber size.

270 is my choice. When I was growing up my dad would buy Field and Stream and Outdoor Life. I'd read them cover to cover and dreamed about all the big game hunts I'd be going on with .270 Winchster.

The .270 Winchester became a very popular deer cartridge due to the widespread praises of gunwriter Jack O’Conner who used the cartridge for 40 years and espoused its praise on the pages of Outdoor Life.

Jack was one of my heros!

Of the choices you listed I would pick the .270.

My personal favorite is 25-06 and my second choice would be 7mm-08. Lots of really good choices mentioned all through this thread.

I like all three. I have killed deer with the 270 and the 300. Not one of the dead deer have said that one was better then the other. The most inportant thing is to shoot it often. Get really good with it. So if you can afford to shoot the 300 alotand can handle the kick then pick that.

"IMO" My 25.06 is hard to beat , every deer I have taken dropped in it's tracks,and there hooves were facing the 0ppisite direction of me.I watch them fall out of the scope before recoil !!!

.270 - Low recoil and all the power you need for any deer that walks the planet. If you can shoot a .300 mag accurately then you should be a master with the .270.

30-06 Rem 700 first choice, and most of the time

30-30 Marlin lever second choice and my first love

444 Marlin lever for the thick Stuff under 150 yards

All guns are topped with Luepolds

Back