22-250

hamerhead

What do you guys think of this caliber. What does it work well for and what does it come up short on? I'm looking at it for coyote hunting? Thanks

Hamer

Excellent coyote caliber. I've killed a couple of deer with mine, too, but I wouldn't recommend it as a big(-ish) game gun. It's a great prairie dog gun, too. Flat, all kinds of speed, etc.

22-250 is an awesome caliber that works well for all varmints, chucks, coyotes, fox you name it. Probably not the most fur friendly, but better than the .243 IMO. I would hunt javalina with it but personally I would opt for a .243 or larger when it comes to deer. Some here will certainly disagree about the deer, and some I am also sure would hunt elk with a 22-250, but not me.

As a coyote rifle, it probably ranks in the top 2 calibers, surpassed only by the availability of the autoloading AR's in 223. Possibly number one in some areas.

What everyone else said, and also relatively easy to find a factory load that will shoot and do what you need it to do.

When it comes to predators and varmints, the 250 only has one shortcoming, and that is it's NOT a Swift. I seriously doubt any prairie dog or coyote would ever know the difference.

over-all probably the best varmint -preditor cartridge out there. if ammo was as easy and cheap as .223 it would be the very best

If you want fur friendly with 22-250 type ballistics, then go with the .204 Ruger. It shoots very flat, low wind drift, and still carries enough down-range energy to cleanly kill a coyote. There are quite a few good factory offerings out there, and if you are a reloader, or know someone who can reload for you, the 35gr Berger bullet is reported to be very fur friendly. I have shot many coyotes with a 22-250 and if you want to save the hides, you had better learn how to sew. I now shoot a 17 Rem.

How does it compare to the Swift. My dad has a Swift and claims it's the best coyote caliber ever very rarely exits. Is the .22-250 similar if you reload for it right?

The 22-250 will do just fine. My favorite rifle is a 22-250. I've used 55 gr spitzers, HPBT and Vmax bullets and they rarely mess up the fur if you place them right.

awesome caliber...place your bullet right and the holes ain't too bad to sew. If you shoot a fox with it forget everything I just said...

do your research with ballistic tables and you will find the 250 is heads and tails above the rest. you also can go to the store and find ammo.

The nice thing about a 22/250 is you can reload it from 22 Hornet speed up to over 4000 fps.

Last edited:
The only downsides to the 22-250 are:

1. Brass is spendy; at or near what you pay for 300 or 338 win mag. I haven't figured out why;

2. Barrel will heat up much faster than a .204 or .223.

Other than that, no reason not to own one. Perfect for all Oregon high desert animals other than elk.

Back