Foxpro CS-24 - Anyone having any problems with theirs??? UPDATE

decanuck

Hey Everyone,

Bought my CS-24 this summer and played with it a bit. This past week and a half I've taken it out in 20-25 degree weather. So far, of the three times it went out, it only worked once. The first time I went out, it didn't work with the Jack in the Box, but it did when I returned home. Not a big deal. Went out two days later, unit worked no problem. Went out this morning, no dice with or without the JIB. Went home and tried it, no dice with or without the JIB. Tried all different types of combinations of turning on unit and remote. By the way, the batteries were fully charged and run my WT so I know it's not them.

Was wondering if anyone else has had these type of issues? I know Foxpro will take care of this, but my WT has never had these problems...

Last edited:
decanuck,
I've had a few times where my CS-24 wouldn't initially work. I think I pinned it down to the CS-24 itself not initializing something before it fires up. If it simply won't work, turn on the TX-500 and make sure to hold the rotary knob for an extended period, long enough for it to initialize and then hold on the FoxPro screen as the red background light goes on and then off. Make certain to not hit any buttons before you turn on the CS-24. Then, turn on the CS-24 and see if that works. Shoot me a PM if you want to chat more about it over the phone.

I've only had my CS-24 for about 10 days,had it out 3 times and have had problems all 3 times.Today it was only -15 C and the unit was only responding off and on to the remote.I always kick a little snow into a pile to get it up off the ground,and usually am not more than 100 yards away.Changing sounds,muting,any function.Sometimes works,sometimes not.Very unimpressed.

Somethings definitely wrong then bohe, I'd get in touch with FoxPro. I had mine out in -30ºF last night and it worked flawlessly for me. Range on the thing is unreal on mine. Over half a mile away from the house with the caller inside the garage and it operated the thing.

I've used mine 50 or so stands and twice it has froze up where it wouldn't play and I had to go to mouth calls to finish the stand. The one day it was -20ish and I put a handwarmer in the battery pack and one on the back of the remote and had no more problems the rest of the day. I haven't sold my fx3 yet as it is a good back up.
My pard has had his wt back to the factory twice so I think I just chalk it up to us putting electronic devices in the toughest weather conditions on the face of the planet, sometimes there will be problems. The one thing I know about Foxpro is their customer service can't be beat and they address problems very quickly.

wyoyotebuster1,
Here's how my CS-24 is setup.

CS2415WSpeakerandDecoy.jpg

It has dual batteries, with external jacks on the speaker cap. I can remove all wires and the batteries quickly, for cold days and stick them in my pocket. It keeps the wires from cracking and the batteries nice and toasty. I'm heading out here in a minute and it's -35ºF ambient temp. Should be a good test.

I have owned the FX3, FX5, and the Fury. All of them have had problems intermittently responding to the remote. Each one went back to the factory 2-3 times each!!! I sold them all.

I am an electrical engineer. I am familiar with technology. I thought the new remote would solve the problem when I bought the Fury. It did not. It was actually the worst.

When Foxpro makes a reliable caller, I will buy it. So far, they are not there yet.

Last edited:
I have had the cs-24 for a couple of months. Numerous times the unit would not respond to the remote. I don't know why but I would shut the remote off then turn the cs-24 on again and eventually it works. This weekend my wires for my battery pack snapped off (-10 F). The set up snowcammo has looks like a great improvement. Otherwise the unit works great...sounds great.

snowcamoman,

Does the cs24 come with those jacks on the cover? Where did you get the decoy that you have plugged into the top? I am new to this but just ordered my own CS24 and am looking forward to using it.

thanks

I have had a CS-24 for a few months now and have used it in some prtty diverse conditions (altough no real cold weather). I have yet to have a single problem with the unit. In the previous units I have had (FX3, FX5, Scorpion...) most of the problems I had were user error and they were few and far between. Maybe some of you use your stuff a great deal more than I do, but I probably average 10-15 hours / week or so in the field and that is all year long...

In any regard, I'm sure that Foxpro will handle whatever issues that you may have and help you get back on your feet.

mturner,
The jacks were put on by FoxPro for me, I ordered mine "extra" custom, since I've had problems with wires on callers snapping in the cold. The decoy was made by a fried of mine. It's just a wind powered type decoy, but looks great with the slightest breeze. It comes out as well, for quick storage. Had my CS-24 out last night at -36ºF and didn't have any issues whatsoever. Didn't call any critters, but it was a beautiful night with some amazing northern lights.

I have a buddy who uses one and I love it and he has had no problems whatsoever, as a matter of fact, I like it so much I'm going to purchase one and keep my FX-5 as a spare.

I justed ordered a CS24 from AllPredators yesterday. Can't wait till it comes in. Those people are great to deal with.
I have been using another brand ( cheapo ) and I haven't had any luck. I feel confident after reading all the forum's that this thing will work great.
I will keep everyone posted.

Yup, I've had a few issues with mine already. The issues are intermittent and involve either the remote freezing up or the unit not responding to the remote. Colder weather seems to make the problems worse, but then sometimes it works fine in the cold weather... Handwarmers in the battery pack didn't help. changing the batteries didn't help.

Letting off the rotary knob before the the unit initiallizes causes it to freeze up for about 30-seconds, longer if you try to restart it before waiting.

When it doesn't respond to the remote, it will eventually work if I turn both the unit and the remote on and off a few times. A few times I had to leave it in the truck for a few stands before it would work.

It's going back to FP as soon as I get around to sending it.

Hey Buddy sell that thing and put that WT back to work. Like we did this morning with mine. Took it out of the pack turn it on put it on a stump full of snow and let the cold wind chill that baby!!! Remote out of pack set in the snow beside me and wait a little while. Brush the snow off the remote hit play and the sounds out of that WT caller. OH BABY!!!
thumbup.gif

tt2.gif
Just razzing you Bud. I know you like your fox pro.

Highwaystar

I like it and it could be a pretty good caller if we can get it to work in the field. Sent it off to Foxpro after speaking with them. They were going to get it running again and hope to have it back soon. In the mean time, looks like we're using the WT and the JIB...

Just wanted to give you all an update, not that I didn't say FP wouldn't take care of the issue.

Well, I called FP yesterday. They weren't able to duplicate the cold weather issues I was having. They replaced the main board and tested it with the remote after being subjected to their cold weather testing (a freezer). They gave it a clean bill of health and it is on its way.

I look forward to getting it into the field. Good customer service. Now just need to see if the product holds up. Will post more after it's been into the field...

I purchased the cs-24 and so did my hunting buddy. We used them throughout the fall and not a single issue. As soon as the winter hit problems started. Both units have the exact same problems. As soon as the temp falls below -5 Celcius the units will not respond to the remote. Soemtimes if you change the volume level it suddenly kicks in. My buddy has built an insulated box around his leaving only the speaker horn sticking out. He then stuffs hot packs in with the battery pack. Last weekend hunting it worked where mine would not. Sure this is a fix but after spending all this cash on this unit you shouldnt have to custom make insulating boxes to get it to work. I guess I will have to do the same if I want to winter hunt. Anyone else come up with a solution??? All cs-24's must have the same issue not just our two. Great SEASONAL caller..and nice paper weight in winter...

Back