222 remington coyote loads

20 grains Reloader 7 and a 50 or 52 grain bullet is a Ken Waters pet load that has worked well for me. Unfortunately another Ken Waters pet load shoots amazingly well in my gun but only does about 2800 fps with a 50 grain bullet, so that's about all I shoot out of it.

Seems like a lot of folks are having great luck with the plastic tip 40g bullets. Hmmmmm, coincidence? I think not...

For example, A 55g SP at 3000 is gonna act totally different at 300 yards then a 40g vmax/nbt at 3500. The 55g sp is constructed a little heavy for the 222 velocity, it dont open up a whole lot or transfer a lot of shock, plus they dont shoot flat at all...Probly woudln't use them past 200 myself either. The plastic tip bullets on the other hand will do 2x more damage inside, transfer a lot more shock, still exit majority of the time unless shoulder is hit or trying to shoot lengthwise, and with a 500fps increase in MV, means a top of the back or maybe an inch or two holdover at 300, depending on your zero.

40g plastic tips is where its at for the triple deuce for varmints/coyotes. Some might swear by the 50-55's, but the 40's have worked really really well for me out to 300.

It was a nice day today so i thought id make a qiuck stand and try to kill a coyote about 10 min into the stand one big male come in to about 150 yards and i let a 40gr v-max fly DRT just dropped entery was right behind the shoulder and the exit was about an inch. Happy so far.

i'm going to do some more playing with them to see how they are but happy so far. I might try some of the 35gr lead free noslers when they come out. Might gain just enough speed to keep them inside no exit.

i'd really have to disagree with this assessment of the .222. My father-in-law and I have both consistently killed coyotes with .222's out to 300yds, with a few beyond that. The .222 isn't much down the scale from the .223 and I think most guys on this site will agree that the .223 is one of the best for coyotes. With a quality bullet and good shot placement, the .222 is a legitimate coyote round.

I shoot a Rem 600 in .222 Rem. I have used 52-grain Speer hp since early 70's. I would suggest testing loads with Hodgdon ball powders (very easy to load in powder measures), H-380, BLC-2, maybe even H-380. I would also try 40, 45 or 50 grain Hornady V-Max bullets. The less powder you use to get super accurate rounds the easier it is on you, your gun and the target will not notice the difference.

I have shot several yotes with my CZ 222 using 40 grain Nosler ballistic tips.. All dropped on their trax.. Shots were from 50 to 250 yards.. Primers are Fed SM Bench rest, and powder is RL-7. Chron'd ~ 3200

well to report back ive killed 15 coyotes now with 22gr of reloader #7 and 40gr noslers. All have been drt shots have been between 20 and 200 yards. So far they have been ok on fur "though i have lost two due to BIG holes on the shoulder blades but that can be expected".

Originally Posted By: idahowildlanderwell to report back ive killed 15 coyotes now with 22gr of reloader #7 and 40gr noslers. All have been drt shots have been between 20 and 200 yards. So far they have been ok on fur "though i have lost two due to BIG holes on the shoulder blades but that can be expected".

Thats almost the identical load I shoot outa my CZ 222.... Very accurate and anchors a dawg..

Back