222 remington coyote loads

idahowildlander

Anyone have any favorite coyote loads for the 222 remington. So far i have shot 13 with the 50gr sierra blitz kings and am not really happy with the results. I have been getting very mixed results some just drop others spin a few have hit the ground got back up and ran a little ways. All have been good broadside shots "ive been picky trying to get consistent results". Anyone have a favorite bullets/load combo for coyotes in the 222. all shots have been 200 and shorter. I am looking to save as many pelts as i can.

You might want to try going up 5 grains (10%) in bullet weight. You can probably get a better BC and have about the same velocity (increased energy) at 200 yards. Might help "anchor" them better. Sierra's 55Spitzer has shown good results in accuracy in my .222. But, I have no coyote experience with that load only chucks. The chucks I have shot with the 55 grainer were suitably impressed on their end.

I shot a 222 for 19 years. On coyotes, it is a 200 yard gun at best. Actually the range needs to be around 150 to get good results.

Anyways.

18.5 gr. 4198
55 gr. hornady sp

Randy

I disagree with the guy who says 200 yards at most, and more like 150.

I've killed 15 or so with the 40g vmax or NBT at 3400-3500fps and I've shot most from 100-300 yards, never lost a single one. I'd say half droped on the spot, the other half ran 20-30 yards, the 40g's exited 75% of the time, if not, they at least make it to the chest area and destroy them. With a 40g at 3400-3500 and a 225yd zero, its a good 300 yard cartridge, provide you do your part and put the bullet where it suppose to go.

Anyways, I have a 700 ADL w/24" and it shoots wonderfully. I wont say all day long, but it shoots the 40g vmax or nbt w/21g IMR4198 into .25" at 100 yards, 3 shots from a bench often enough to not be surprised anymore. I use win cases and cci small rifle primers, OAL of 2.150".

I use the same load as Kyotekiller only a 40 grain nosler BT and my experience is almost identical to his. I had the same results with the 50s and was very disapointed in the performance of the 222, the first coyote with the 40s was a real eye opener.

Very interesting thread, I just got back into another 222(CZ) after trading one I had for years, before I have great luck with BLC-2 and a 50gr Hornady SX, I had planned to go with a 50gr this time as well because it seemed like a nice middle of the road bulleet, might have to think this some more.

kyotekiller25...You have killed 15 coyotes and never lost a one even though half were runners. Report back after you have killed 150.

Randy

I was kind of kicking the idea of trying some 36gr varmint granades around i have a load the shoots well in my gun but have only shot chucks with the barnes they did alright though. What is the fur damage like with those 40gr bullets for those shooting them?

In my experience the fur damage is not as bad as a 223 in most cases at least, I don't believe in 100% in anything, you might see up to one to one and a half inch. I have shot a 222 for 25 or 30 years and the change to 40 grain bullets was the most dramatic improvement I have seen in any cartridge, I have used several in the light varmint category. I would add that if you haven't tried it, don't knock it, it works well.

Reread my post, dont put words in my mouth..

I said I've killed 15, half of them droped on the spot (dead) the other half ran 20-30 yards and died. How is that classified as runners??? THEY DIED!!!!! Did not get away.

I dont need to kill 150 coyotes with a certain combo to know whether or not it works. 5-10 will give you a very good idea if there working for you or not.

I stick with what works for ME. Not what works for some guy halfway across the country.....

The vmax is a little worse then the nbt. I'd say most exits are around the 2" mark. I sometimes get a 2" entry wound on a shoulder shot though to. If you dont hit much bone, about 1" seems right.

The bullet I really really liked was the old Barnes VLC. The blue coated hollow points. My rifle shot them extremely well at 3700fps, and they had a nice splat factor. Show a few coyotes with them as well and never lost a single one. I remember one of them exiting a coyote at about 250, caught the top shoulder/back and it left a good softball size hole.

Quote:I said I've killed 15, half of them droped on the spot (dead) the other half ran 20-30 yards and died. How is that classified as runners??? THEY DIED!!!!! Did not get away.

Most runners do die. Some just closer than others.

I guess if you don't consider 20-30 yards a runner, then 5-10 dead coyotes is a good enough test for you.

Randy

kyotekiller25 thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure i have seen your pics on longrangehunting.com. I loaded up a few 40gr nbt's with h-322 will see how they shoot tomorrow.

A really good powder for .222 is Ramshot XTerminator; it rocks with the 40 gr. Sierra HP.

XTerminator and the 40 gr. bullets can accomplish 3400+FPS with safe pressures; makes a whole nother' rifle out of this caliber.

Also try the Speer 52 gr. HP; obviously less FPS but a great bullet also.

Here are some loads that shoot good in my 222's.
You can use them, or substiture same weight bullets that you like.
These are 100 yards targets, shot with a Weaver V-16 set at 16x.

DSCF0290.jpg

DSCF0292.jpg

DSCF0297.jpg

DSCF0312.jpg

Last edited:
My 222 likes Sierra 50 gr Blitz bullets (#1340) with Rem 7 1/2 primers and BL-C(2) powder. Never shot any coyotes with it but they work good on our groundhogs.

Back