Why do you coyote hunt?

Swim Bait

Hey guys, I'm new here. First post! Planning on doing quite a bit of coyote hunting in CA next year to warm up for deer season. I used to deer hunt when I was younger and got out of it because of fishing. Now I'm older and really want to hunt again.

My question is, why do you hunt coyotes and what do you do with them after you shoot them. I ask this because I get deer hunting. You have meat, bone; etc. I just don't hear about people eating the coyotes and I've had a hard time figuring this out. I'm glad I found this site.

I know coyotes kill a lot of deer, pets, small kids; etc. One of the reasons I'm coyote hunting this year is because CA has a ton of them and our So Cal deer population sucks. My dad says I can sell the furs, but don't know where to go or if that's legal.

Any help will be appreciated. Lookin' forward to having some fun in 2010 and maybe I'll even post some pictures; who knows.

Also, any recommended DVDs or books I should check out?

I ordered a couple calls last week. Planning on hunting in a month or sooner.

Thanks and take care

first off - Welcome - i hunt the coyote for the adrenaline rush, i have had many hobbies and NONE compare to this one in the least. not to mention i am in AZ where you have to be drawn to hunt just about anything else, i put in and never get drawn and i'm sick of it. also the coyote here really put the deer and antelope population down, they eat peoples pets and i feel by hunting them i am helping in more than one way. i am not a pro by any means andd have only taken 2 coyotes, 1 bobcat, and 1 fox, after i get one i keep the skull and pelt, if you ever find out how to sell the pelt let me know, i have been checking around but have had no luck in buyer.

Originally Posted By: Swim Bait

...I know coyotes kill a lot of deer, pets, small kids; etc. One of the reasons I'm coyote hunting this year is because CA has a ton of them and our So Cal deer population sucks. My dad says I can sell the furs, but don't know where to go or if that's legal...

I think you just answered your own question! Selling furs is completely legal.
wink.gif

Don't worry about coyotes going extinct, my uncle traps 1000+ coyotes every year and they keep coming back stronger.

I started out hunting them with a buddy of mine about 20 years ago. He and his family raised sheep and they seemed to loose a few lambs each year to the coyotes. So thats where and why I got started. I've also spent a fair amount of time hunting them in the area's where I liked to deer and bird hunt as well. Trying to give those other animals a bit more of a chance. I will say over time, I have come to have alot of respect for the coyote and would now elect to hunt coyotes over anything except screaming bull elk.

They are just a plain nusiance in my area and it is an excellent way to hone my hunting skills. I had rather kill a coyote as a nice eight point buck.

Thanks for the welcome guys and the replies so far. I honestly had no idea so many people liked to coyote hunt. A lot more than I thought.

So what do you guys do with the coyotes though? If you would rather send me a PM; that would be fine too. Just not sure what to do with them after I shoot them.

I'm just going to use my deer rifle. I know it's a little overkill and bigger than recommended; but it's what I have. It's an older model Remington 700 in .270 win. Super accurate gun! My dad's old gun:)!

Thanks

Unlike most, I don't get much satisfaction from a kill so I go out with my camera instead.

I still have to hunt and with my limited photo gear, I need to ensure the critters are fairly close if I want the best shots.

BTW, those who do hunt and kill coyotes and other predators are often doing a valuable service and I certainly respect them for it.

I hunt coyotes because:

1) it's a long, long season (year round!) Unlike game hunting, when I have a short season, with pressure to go, with coyote hunting, I can decide on the spur of the moment if I want to go. Or not! I can stay home and it's not a big deal.

2) it doesn't take a lot of preparation, if you don't want to. You can just go. Or you can get involved and make a big deal out of it.

3) it's fun, an adrenalin rush, and challenging to try to outsmart a predator.

4) sometimes furs are worth something. When they're not, I'm reducing predator populations to the benefit of game and livestock. When furs are worth something, I usually give them to someone who's skinning. When they're not, I leave 'em lay and let the eagles eat 'em. I like eagles, so this is a mutually beneficial arrangement.
smile.gif

5) I like the guns. I really, really like hunting with my Savage Predator Hunter in .223. Sometimes when I'm out in the field, I look it and think "I own this rifle!" Same with my Mossberg Turkey Tactical- it's just a fun weapon. I like working up loads for the rifles and seeing the perform.

6) I like getting out. A few days ago, it was snowing, it was cold, and I was hunting a canyon, looking for bobcat tracks and calling as I went along. I had on good gear, was warm and comfortable, and there was no place I would have rather been just then than coyote hunting in the snow.

I hunt coyotes cause my wife makes me! She kicks me out of bed, EARLY just about every weekend and tells me not to come home until I've spent at least 8 hours in the field.
laugh.gif

The yote is the hardest animal that I have had the honor to hunt take all the senses of all big game animals and combine it and that is the yote . I hunt in the east and its a little different than where you are after um , it is just a challenge , a rush , and it lets you get out a little more .

I would tell you it was cause of the killing they do but that would be a lie. I do it cause I love the challenge, being in the outdoors, spending time with my boys, and watching my dogs work. I do usually end up hunting a few ranches for the rancher when they call, usually right before claving.

Well since yer from Cali.. or Kommieforia like I am. Check the regs.. You have to also have a trappers license to sell Coyote fur. With the current prices and the look of the Fur, its up to you. Good luck in your quest. For Me, its just saving the Cattle..

When I was young, I had a monkey on my back. This monkey hated coyotes. He would constantly pull my balding scalp & screetch into my ears..."KILL COYOTES" I had to obey the monkey. As he had power over me.

Well, one day I had my fill of the monkey. I kilt that monkey...monkey BAD!

Since then, yrs rolled on by. One day out taking a walk with my wife along a timbered trail. I looked down & found a wooly catapillar. I remarked to my wife, about the wide bands. Hmmm, a long winter a coming?

Well I took this wooly & stuck him in my shirt pocket. I talked to him frequently. One day he answered me back. He said he wanted to hunt coyote. Huh, say what? says I.

Well, I started to take wooly with me hunting coyote. I taught him to load my AR mags. He got very good at that
smile.gif

Well, whudya know. One day ole wooly turned into an animal lover. Et messed up many of my shots on coyotes, that were a gimme.

Well then, I kicked ole wooly out of the house. Now days, I hear a faint scratching on the front door. I just know it's him, wanting to be my hunting partner again.

Nope, not gonna happen. wooly bad, like a bad monkey.

edit; Almost forgot. I kill coyotes, because I respect them.

Last edited:
I hunt coyotes , because it is who I am. I'm a hunter. I've been a hunter as long as I can remember. It is what I do.

Coyote furs are sold on ebay. Check your regs first.

Coyote meat makes excellent mince for Tex mex dishes. I also make huge batches of burritos with the ground coyote. Toss them in the freezer and hand out packages to my inlaws for the holidays. They always appreciate something I made myself.

I started calling because it was a added way for me to harvest more fur. Back in the early 80's, fur was still worth something and I put myself through school by trapping and hunting fur. I almost dropped out at one time because the money was so good. Glad I didn't follow through on that one, as it wasn't long after that the fur market crashed. I don't trap much anymore, but calling has given me a way to pursue the furbearers that I truly enjoy matching whits against.

Originally Posted By: RedfrogI hunt coyotes , because it is who I am. I'm a hunter. I've been a hunter as long as I can remember. It is what I do.

Coyote furs are sold on ebay. Check your regs first.

Coyote meat makes excellent mince for Tex mex dishes. I also make huge batches of burritos with the ground coyote. Toss them in the freezer and hand out packages to my inlaws for the holidays. They always appreciate something I made myself.

THIS kills me!
laugh.gif

For many, twenty plus years, I was a goose hunter like nobody else I knew. Turned fifty several years back and realized I wasn't so young anymore. It really took a toll on this old body lugging eight dz plus dekes around three or four days aweek to hunt. The price of fuel just about broke me. It got to be work and not so much fun anymore. Met a feller several yrs back, now my best callin buddy, that took me out callin with him and that's all it took to get me hooked. Sold the mag 10, all the decoys, waders every thing cept the goose calls and never looked back. Not one regret about it either. I get plenty of exercise and every once in awhile the hair on the back of my neck stands up when a coyote or bobcat tries to run up my leg, kinda makes me realize I'm still alive. I wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world.

I hunt yote and big game because my clients expect guns late and they know that yote and bulls and buck keep me focused on there project and the they get a discount . worst thing in the world is an on time smith that doesent hunt . lol to cody custom gun clinents..

Back