Why do you coyote hunt?

I'm 6'2", 190 pounds for reference.

And no, I haven't been there. I really don't travel; sorry to say. I'd love to fish in TX though. Choke Canyon, Falcon, Amistad; all have LOTS of big bass.

My dad's from Iowa; saw your location:)!

And thanks.

Looking forward to posting a pic of a coyote; maybe a few of them. LOL It's pretty bad here in San Diego. I have never hunted coyotes before, but I think it may be a little easier here. I could be VERY wrong. All the lakes I fish have tons of them. Right before sunset, you'll hear them howling like crazy. Close to the lakes too. Sometimes I'll wake up at night; and hear them howling. I live in the city! It's like they're right outside my front door sometimes. One time while bank fishing, I had a coyote come out of no where and run about 20' from me. Another time, same lake, as I was walking a trail; three jumped out ahead of me and walked the same trail I was on. Didn't care about me at all. I yipped a few times and they'd stop and look at me. LMAO There are a lot of them around here. Maybe a few less when I start hunting them:)! Just by reading your guy's replies; it sounds like a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to the experience. My dad is going to hunt with me. We plan on going once a week. I ordered two coyote hand calls last week and I'm waiting like a little kid for them. I want to practice with them, get half decent; then dad and I will head out and give it a go. Can't wait:)!

Arden

Originally Posted By: Swim BaitOriginally Posted By: BaerSwim bait just hijacked his own thread... He's good.

LMAO:)~ I got it back on track though! hahahahahaha

Haha, good stuff mate.

To add... I hunt coyotes because:

-I get to spend time in God's creation.
-I trick one of the wiliest creatures around into coming close.
-My pulse pounds with adrenaline from the time I first spot that yote way out in the distance to the time when I finish skinning.
-Might end up calling in something rare like wolf, cougar, or porcupine... or moose... (no lie!)
-Coyote hunting can be a great way to introduce people to hunting.

What I do with my coyotes:
-Bleached skulls make great gifts or decor. (Gardens, fireplace mantels, etc.)
-The furs can be sold, but they also make great gifts.
-In Saskatchewan you get $20 for every four coyote paws

I took my best friend and his fiance out for a day, and I ended up shooting a big male. When their wedding day arrived, it was tanned and given as a wedding gift. Maybe I cheaped out, but it meant a lot to them.

Baer

Baer

Cause its cheaper than trashy women and hangin out in the bar....or at least so I'm told.

Cause it adds a level of excitement not found in golf, skiing, tennis or other things I don't do.

Cause its wasteful to have all these perfectly good coyote guns and not use them.

Cause they taste like chicken.........almost.

If they have good pelts I skin them and freeze them in ziplock bags. If they have bad pelts I recycle them, so to speak.

I was hooked after my first encounter, 10 yrs. old and me and my dad were bear huntin by pred. callin. no bear but plenty of yotes showed up to those dyin sounds.

I started hunting a year ago with my shotgun. I started hunting jacks and quail. One day I caught a coyote scarfing on a rabbit I had killed the day before. I gave that coyote a standing unsupported dose of 180 grain .30-06. I've since toned it down to 165 grain. Then I did all the research, bought videos, bought calls, begged other hunters to show me the ropes, called, google mapped, called, bought Foxpro, called, scouted and called, competed, posted on predator forums, called some more, practiced howling at home, sometimes in the car, ripped the door and seat belt chim out of dashboard of my truck, tracked, studied coyote scat, called more coyote, met a whole bunch of new friends........in my opinion no other brand of hunting comes close. Hunting skills are maxed out from tracking to marksmanship. Nonstop action.

Originally Posted By: firstcoueswas80Because it is FUN AS [beeep]!

+1 I like to think I'm doin' a service as well. Hopefully saving a few dogs, cats, and some livestock.

I first started out because we got $45-90 per animal un-skinned, back in the mid 70's. That could result in a lot of $$ Then PETA kinda ruined that in the late 80's..and the whole industry, but it'll come back.

Then as the populations grew because of lack off motivation for many, the Deer population dwindled. When I was deer hunting I saw more yotes than deer. hmmmm...

I hadn't specifically targeted them until the last couple years again, primarily due to my hunting grounds be decimated.

For me its almost the same thing with cougars, since...PETA once again, got Cougars banned from dog hunting in this State. Now the Cougar population is getting out of hand, and the past three years hunting deer, one this season Elk I had Cat tracks in my foot tracks when heading back to the truck...very disturbing. I've declared war on them now as I don't like being prey.

And as other said, it's kinda fun hunting coyotes. (ok not kinda)

Baer did make me think about the dog food option lol. I'm not sure if that would make my dog a cannible, but I sure would need to cook the heck out of it so he didnt get worms or something.

if i could get $45-90 for un skinned i could get a part time job and live like a king by my standards. i'm not braggin about how many preds. i get but could you imagine 4 or five in a weekend? $400 wow!!!

I work in a fairly stressful environment. I would say that Hunting is the only thing that keeps my mind straight. I don’t really get excited about much, but when I see a coyote or any other animal I’m hunting at the time it gets my blood pumping.

Sparky13

Originally Posted By: shanedoggif i could get $45-90 for un skinned i could get a part time job and live like a king by my standards. i'm not braggin about how many preds. i get but could you imagine 4 or five in a weekend? $400 wow!!!

Yeah we used to go to the Platte river in eastern Nebraska, and clean up. Our best night (me and my partner) netted 9 and averaged $65. (that wasn't the norm but we only spotlighted back then) That WAS better than a real job, but you could only sell the yotes in the mid winter when the coats were thick.

I started hunting coyotes as a challenge to my self, no body I knew had ever called for them and I bought a calling all coyotes video watched it and was immidatly addicted, although it took me countless stands and many hours of pissing off my parents with my "dying animal sounds" the first coyote I called in (and missed)was the biggest aderinaline rush you could imagine. Now I do it because I love the outdoors, I find it extremly relaxing (weird how listing to rabbits dying does that but it does) and I love tyring to beat the animals.) The best part, I can do it year long it doesnt cost me much money and I dont have to worry about putting in for tags.

Well, it's a start! Got my first two coyote calls in the mail the other day. I'm a fan of Flextone deer calls, so I went with the two predator calls they make. The Dying Rabbit call and the Coyote Rage call. Been practicing some already. LOL In a few weeks; I'll try them out for real. What you think guys, smart buy or no? They were $12 and $14. They retail for up to $20.

Calls005.jpg

Thanks again guys for all the replies. First coyote I get will be posted here first:)!

Arden

Initially I started hunting yotes so I could have better deer, turkey, and small game hunting. On a 56 acre place I bought in N. FL when the Walmart truck came by late in the evenings on the hardroad about a mile away with their tires whining the coyotes would absolutely "Light Up" the night! We had a decent deer herd but you couldn't buy a rabbit or a turkey with gold. From what I gathered no one had ever tried to hunt them. If they happened to see one they'd take a crack at it during deer season but that was all the pressure the yotes got. I basically lived in the woods and I carried my 7 STW almost everywhere and got serious about trying to eradicate them.
Over the next year I probably killed a dozen or so and along the way I gained a tremendous respect for the animal's savy. The first sign I had that this might be working were the rabbits were back in my valley. Then we started seeing the turkeys come back and even more deer.
Now I've returned to Carolina and the last time we ran deer dogs on a little block of timber nearby 3 yotes exploded out of the pines. Articles in the paper here on a regular basis have shown me there's a huge coyote population. And a few nights ago I had "yote flashbacks" when a pack lit up right across the road from my home. I've found rabbit fur from fresh yote kills in my front yard lately!
So my reasons are two-fold! I love hunting in general and I get to pursue probably one the top-most elusive predators, sharpen my skills, and help out the deer, turkey, and small game population at the same time! I know I can't eliminate all of them, don't want to! They have a valid and important place in the wild. But I sure enjoy trying to "thin'em out"!

why do i hunt coyotes??? because i can
smile.gif
no other game will outsmart you like a old coyote. yes, those calls will work. good luck and post some pics of your sucsesses

For the magic and history....i walk on the footprints of early man,apaches,commanches,conquistadors,mountain men,early cattlemen,settlers,desparados,army soldiers....just to be away from all of it....the challenge of the songdog....

Last edited:
Back