South Dakota Indian Reservation Hunting

Here are a few self guided critters the goat which scored 86 3/8's B&C public land, the white tail was public as well. I guess not to be bad for a guide that doedn't know much about critters in SD LOL. These where all taken in the last 4 years. My services are FREE to firends and family and I don't guide for money but satisfaction in others eye's.

Kent sounds to me your into high dollar paid hunts which is fine, but there are plenty of people in SD that could show you alot of game don't let the term "full time guide" fool you.

Picture557.jpg

DSC008912.jpg

IM000741-1.jpg

Last edited:
Its all about self esteem and pride which has been lost. Lots of depression and alcoholism, few jobs and people give up. You didn't see the suicide rate. Its hard living on a reservation, trust me I know.
SD does have lots of walk in areas with great deer, antelope, and other game to hunt. Rosebud and most other reservations are expensive. When i lived on Rosebud, a non-res elk tag was about $5000.00. Lower Brule use to have some cheap antelope tags. Check on the internet. The thing for many res's is that you must hire a guide (enrolled member and enrolled guide).

Good job Cedar Bute, Unless you live it you cannot understand it. I have relatives at Pine Ridge, Rosebud, Wagner and Sisseton and the lack of jobs, and feeling of uselessness will cause problems. Some guys call it welfare because of housing provided and other things but they have little knowledge of treaties, so before we/you/I call it welfare then know what you are talking about. i know lots of rez land that is beautiful and respected, and I know the other parts as well.

Originally Posted By: Cedarbuttekentdorfman,

First of all I mean this with all do respect, and I'm not trying to get in a fight here. But it sounds to me like you've already got your mind made up that unless your going with a "professional" guide service you won't be happy. I responded to your other thread about PD shooting in SD and your did not reply. I am a Native American and a rancher on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and sir it seems to me that I'm glad that you didn't reply. It seems that no matter what kind of experience you have, you will not be happy. I have lived here my whole life and am the fourth generation to work our ranch and we take great pride in keeping it very clean and neat. We have a very good amount of dogs aswell. But like I said before, I'm not a professional, just a part time guy that knows where there's lots of dogs. The reservation areas of South Dakota are some of the most impoverished in the USA and any time you have that much poverty the filth just comes along with it.

Cedarbutte

Let people think the the reservation is filled with trash so they won't go. That just means more prairie dogs for me to shoot. Rosebud has some beautiful prairie. I plan on shooting pd's there next year and trying to get drawn for an antelope tag too.

The arguement that a part time person is as good as a full-time person is kind of like saying, "I play basketball on a weekly basis, so it is reasonable to think that I am just as good as Micheal Jordan." Cedarbutte, your discussion goes down the same road the Democrats do when they say everyone is equal and nobody deserves to be paid more than "the other guy". A democrat would argue that there are many reasons the part-time guides don't produce like the full time guides do...none of them the guide's fault. Maybe this is a question of simply having a Democrat or Republican mindset???

I've hunted with many part-time guides and a few full time guides and there is no contest in evaluating the experience with one versus the other. Although not ALWAYS successful, my experience with full time guides have always been excellent. It is not a matter of pampering, it is a matter of skill, logistics, and professionalism. I think Jim River Guide Service is worth a try. I am sure some part-time guides are good but going with them is like betting against the house.

To get the most out of MY hunting dollar, I will go with a full-time guide.

I have to take exception to the attitude:
Quote:"he can always go look for a job but who is going to hire a Indian."
Over my lifetime, I've worked with several Native Americans, both in and out of law enforcement. In some cases, they do have a different mindset, but not in a negative way...just more peaceful.

One was a Sioux Tribal Elder that had a Masters degree in Psychology and was also a Master Carpenter/Cabinet Maker...He preferred to work with the wood over people...He refused to work for a corporate level job (and he had offers) long before EEOC or other mandated programs were initiated...We took several work trips together and I learned a lot from him..I've also worked with one that was a Municipal Judge and another that was a street officer..

It's easy to stereotype groups of people based on limited or no personal experience,,,, But, as they say, "you have to walk in their moccasins", before commenting".

Now your really trying to piss me off. Calling me a Democrat would be like saying you know what your talking about on this whole guide deal, it just isnt true. I come from a family where what you just said would be enough to get you a mouth full of knuckles. The comparison of some average guy who plays basketball once a week to the best player there ever was? Even the other professional basketball players were'nt as good as he is. Now I'm gonna maybe agree with the fact that up in Alaska or far out in Alberta or somewhere else in the Rockies a full time guide MIGHT be better, but for as far as hunting in South Dakota thats just not true. And as far as thinking "everyone is equal and deserves to be paid more than the other guy", I didnt say that either, I'm sure not saying that all part time guides are equal, some are alot better than others. So to say that all full time guides are better than all part time guides is just dumb! Like I said before you had better just stay up there and let the "pros" take care of you and I'll stay here and keep killing big deer and whatever else my clients want because they must just like to go with the longshot.

Cedarbutte, You say that some part time guides might be better than others but don't believe a full time guide is more skilled than a part time guide....seems more than a little hypocritical. Seems like you have it all figured out and anyone who doesn't agree with your line of thinking needs a knuckle sandwich. You have called me 'dumb' twice and YOU are thinking I need some knuckles because of the family you come from??? Most part time guides have never hired a full time guide to guide them for any hunting so they don't know what they are missing AND that might be why they don't understand the difference between hiring a part time guy and hiring a full time guy. If you and your attitude is what I could expect by going to the reservation, I will look for someone more professional. You are hostile and I am done trying to explain why I want to hire the best guy I can to guide me when I am the one paying the guide.

what is a full time guide??? One who derives the highest majority of pay from guiding???? Then what about the part time guy that makes a few bucks durring the hunting season but spends far more time a field than the full time guide or the same amount of time as the so called full time guide.

You see there are plenty that are calling themselves full time and charge you for that title and you go home with an average critter, yet many of those socalled part timers who have other jobs and responsabilitys could get you on some of the best game that land tract has to offer so which came first the chicken or the egg????

I mean I don't charge people to go hunting, a friend of mine does he is part time but I gurantee you he has far more going for him than alot of these so called full time operations. Full time or part time what expericance do you want to come away with and what are your expectations those are the 2 keys to an enjoyable out of state hunt.

Last edited:
First off let me say this will be my last post on this subject.

1. I didn't say you needed a knuckle sandwich because you disagreed with me, I said it because you tried to call me a democrat.

2. I never said that a full time guide wasn't more skilled than a part time guide, but I certainly never said that he WAS either. That was your opinion, "there is no way that a part time guide could be as good as a full time one.

3. I agree that you can have your own opinion about how you want to hunt and who you want to have lead you around and tell you which animal to shoot, but don't tell people not to use me or other part time guides because they don't know what they are doing.

4. If you think that I am hostile maybe we should talk about what you do for a living and I will give my uninformed opinion on the subject and try to make you look like a fool and we will see how you react.

5. I have never been one to brag about my accomplishments but I have personally guided 4 B&C Mule Deer hunts, 3 B&C Whitetail hunts, 2 Pope & Young Whitetail hunts, 2 B&C Antelope hunts, I have won 18 coyote calling contests and have been guiding grouse hunters and prairie dog hunters since I was 14 years old, so if you want to compare resumes I'm ready.

6. I never once said that you were dumb I said the statements that you made were dumb.

7. One more thing, have you noticed how many people have agreed with what you have stated about the guide issue so far, NONE.

But I guess if you have any more to say to me maybe you should let me know when your gonna be in SD on your "professionally" guided hunt and I can come up and meet you personally and you can enlighten me.

Cedarbutte

Last edited:
On my first trip to a Res in 1979 to shoot dogs, we came across a small village out in the middle of no where. The houses were about 1200 sq feet built by the govm't.

The road out to the p.dog town ran right along side of the little village of about 35 govm't houses. As we pulled into the road to head out to the p. dog town, we noticed the picture window in the front of the house had been knocked out. We stopped to survey the situation, then we saw a horse stick his head out of the picture window! I just had to get a closer look, so we pulled up in the driveway. The closer we got, I noticed that the doors and windows were missing out of the house. A guy came outside looking very suspicious of us. I got out of the truck and introduced myself. After some small talk, the guy seemed friendly enough, so I asked him why the horse was in the house. The guy told me that he did not want his horse to get cold. I asked him what had happened to the doors and windows. He said that they believed in living like they did in the old days, so they knocked the windows out of the house, then they burned the doors to stay warm. He told me that it got real cold the last Winter.

I hired the guy to show us p.dog towns on the "Res" that did not get shot...he introduced to his grand father, born in 1909...we heard a lot of horror stories. I was friends with him and his family for as long as I was going to S.Dakota.

No doubt these people are some of the most impoverished people in the USA, so don't judge them too harsh...they are doing the best they can under the circumstances.

The most memorable hunting experiences of my life were on the Lakota Indian Reservations, but I would never go hunting on a Reservation where I had to have an Indian guide in my presence, too unpredictable to show up one day to the next unless you know them personally.

Last edited:
Back