OKAY i need answers

Easiest way I've found for testing this is . . . TEST it. Red lights are the best way to go . . . especially if you have one that works! If you have the option of going red or white, you go red and put them to bed.

I never use a filter 99% of the time there is no need ,at least this side of the pond you do however get one or two that are lamp shy due to being missed with rifle or dog's,unless these fox's are causing a real problem i leave them,if they are a problem fox then early morning or late evening shooting,or cage a trap are the meathods used

I dont know how many times we are going to go through this? It doesnt matter what side of the pond you are on. The color doesnt seem to matter much. Myself, just like most everybody on here started with a red light. That is all I ever knew. Everybody drills it into your head, RED, RED, RED. Please think outside the box. The animals can see the light no matter what color it is. It is the INTENSITY of the light that matters. I have killed coyotes with pretty much every color there is. The problem with color, it is tougher to make out your targets, and your depth perception can be WAY off. You can argue this point till you are blue in the face, and some guys are just too set in their ways to try something different. That is fine, if it works for you keep doing it. But dont tell everyone that something else wont work. I know that we have 300+ night kills on film and more than 200 are with a white light. That includes just about every predator out there. Just be open minded and dont let somebody who has killed 25 coyotes at night tell you how to do things. Sorry I had to vent a little. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Red works just fine.

Jeff, you keep saying that coyotes will see red light. You are right of course but you are wrong about how they see it. It is certainly different than how they see white light. In fact, it's very similar to how a Red-Green color blind person sees those colors. Maybe someone here who is red-green color blind should weigh in and tell us how they see a stop light vs a street light?

Jeff, I believe you have good luck with white lights while hunting. I'm guessing it's because of where you hunt and your vast experience. However, everyone here doesn't have the benefit of those two things. And, in those cases and in others, Red light has a scientific advantage over white. Not sure why you keep advocating that people handicap themselves when red light will work just fine???

Last edited:
Hi,I've been hunting coyotes longer than some folks have been around. I have tried all colors of lights over the years. And have call up coyotes with each one of them. Still I think red does the best job.I belive it is how bright your light is that makes the diff. I have said it befor and I will say it again. There's only one that know all about coyote hunting,that is the coyote that dies of old age. They don't care how many you shot in a night or a day,week or a life time. When you think you know it all they teach you that you don't know as much as you thought you did. And that's what keeps me going. The best thing to do is get out there and hunt them. They will let you know when you did something wrong,belive me they will. Everybody does things diff.and they all seem to work to some deg. Just fine your our way of doing thing that work for you. Thanks and good hunting Clint.

I don't like the white light because it makes shadows more distinct and spooks the animal. I wonder how many coyotes and fox ran home and told there wife or husband they were almost clobbered by a bush or tree.

Back