OKAY i need answers

Mapes

when you call at night, i thought that white light scared the critters away. Now i have people telling me to stick to the white light, and forget about the red.
Please tell me, does white light scare them off, or what?I always was under the influence that it did. How do you use it, or just shine it right at them?

Do a search and do some reading. The debate goes on.

But... use a red light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

YOu ought to think about buying the hunting the night shift video. I recently purchased it and it was very informative about hunting at night. They used red lights the whole time. I would listen to them they seem to know what is going on!

ive called foxes in at night as well as coyotes with both... red lens and just using the white light... my opinion is... if you have the red lens use it....

if you dont have the red lens dont let it stop you from hunting. you will still call predators in.... the red lens isnt as intense on the predators and does help in certain situations.

Go with the red.The red lens makes their eyes look like reflectors.I think its better to see them with.Thats just my opinion!Goodluck!!!

I use a red light. I have a lot of deer in my back yard at night. With a red light, they ignore it. With a white light, they sometimes run off.

JD338

A white light will work alright. The only purpose of the red lens is to cut down the intensity. If you have a white light with a rheostat(dimmer) use it. Red dosent work because the critter cant see it, it works because its not as bright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Best of luck

Quote:
The critters can see red????

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Not sure exactly what you mean by that comment??? Care to explain? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

one reason to use the red light is because it doesnt mess up your night vision as badly. It takes a good long time, somewhere around 20 min or so for the human eye to adjust to darkness, if you pop a big white light you have just set yourself back. A red light on the other hand isnt intense and im not exactly sure the reason, rods cones color spectrum etc, but it doesnt mess with our night vision as much.

Dave

I should probably be ignored, because I am certain every one of you have more experience than I have, but based on what I have experienced, I would go with red.

I simply installed a red light outside of my house (doing bait and shoot) and I am very sure that the foxes (3) never saw me. All three looked right at me at some point and had no fear. I think there must be something to it. Just personal experience.

Quote:
Quote:
The critters can see red????

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Not sure exactly what you mean by that comment??? Care to explain? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

You just stated that like it was a fact. While the science shows over and over that canines don't see red like we do but rather as a shade of grey.

Ok they dont see it like we do (most likely) but they still see it. Most people seem to think its invisible to them, well its not. Does that clarify things?

I agree that the red helps cut down the intensity...sometimes too much for good target identification. Try a dimmer/BPS on a white light, where you can control it from bright white down to an orange glow. It's the berries in my opinion.

Tony

Tony,

Too much for good target ID? What ranges are you trying to spot them at and what kind of light are you talking about?

Randy

I don't know what all you guys are talking about, red, white? I think it all scares the animals. I started using green last year and not one animal since has spooked because of it. Green is all I use now. And I kill plenty with it.

Back