Remington 11-87 Failure to eject or feed ?

Utahdogger

Tried out my new 11-87 yesterday, shooting 3" shells it didn't eject the fired hull and didn't feed a new one in, and kicked like a mule ! It was cleaned and oiled, I did notice that the O-ring gas seal is very loose on it, would that be the cause ?

can you cycle the action and eject the shells manually?

if so it is the gas system and not an extracter problem

that o ring gets squashed when you tighten the barrel nut, check inside of the barrel collar, (were the oil ring ends up when the barrel is installed) there are to little holes in there that might need to be blown out. compressed air works good most of the time

The shell won't feed if it does not kick out the empty, if the empty isn't kicked out it didn't have enough gas to push the shell far enough back to hit the ejector or pick up the next shell in line

Try Breakfree CLP on the mag tube. Spray a light coat and wipe off the excess. My 1100's and 1187's never have a FTF since I started wetting the mag tubes with CLP.

1.put a new o-ring on

(you can get one from brownells)

( i have bot o-rings at a hardware store that were about the same size as the remington ones for a 1100-20ga but they r not as good or expensive as the ones you get from brownell's)

2. clean out the gas holes in the barrel
(pipecleaner)

3.it shud work then

After paying $5 + shipping for the 'o' rings from various mail order houses I starting cutting them out of leather, oiling them and putting them on the magazine tube in lieu of factory 'o' rings. I can usually get at least 5-600 shells through them.
They need to fit tight, this is how you do it: Get a piece of leather from a craft store. Take out the magazine cap and press the end of the magazine tube on the smooth side of the leather sheet. You want an circular impression of the magazine tube on the leather. Smearing some black sharpie marker on the end of the magazine tube helps leaving the impression on the leather.
Next--cut out this circle with scissors. You need now to cut a hole inside and along the edge of this round piece of leather to obtain a 'ring'. The width of the ring should be around one 16th of an inch. The wider the width the tighter the fit and the harder the ring is to install.
Next soak the ring in gun grease and work it around the end of the magazine tube until you coax it where you want it. I usually put on two at a time and they last through about 3-4 months of heavy use (Skeet, trap three times a week)

Good luck and God Bless,

D.

Your gas seal is most likely the problem...The heavier loads you shoot, the faster they will wear out...

The gas pressure will actually cut them in two if shooting several slugs in a row....I found that out the hard way in a 3-gun match when I didn't take time to check it in between stages... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

You can find o-rings for it at skeet or trap ranges the other thing is make sure the cut in the rings are not lined up if I remember right. I always kept a spare in my wallet.

Quote:
Tried out my new 11-87 yesterday, shooting 3" shells it didn't eject the fired hull and didn't feed a new one in, and kicked like a mule ! It was cleaned and oiled, I did notice that the O-ring gas seal is very loose on it, would that be the cause ?

He states, "Tried out my NEW 11-87 yesterday"

Now how could it be that the o-rings are worn out if the gun is new. Is the gun brand new or is it new to you? If it is brand new, I can hardly see the o-ring being worn out or the gas system plugged /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

The gas o-ring may be defective or it could be the recently famous Remington quality control /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I've heard more than one story from consumers of Remington products and thier poor quality of firearms on the market as of late.

Carefully check the o-ring for cuts or any visible damage, if it fits real loose or it has been torn or cut, then simply replace it and try it again. If the gun is new and the new o-ring does not cure the problem and send it back to Remington.

I had loose rings before without being cut. If the barell is not properly installed it will catch on one side of the plastic/rubber ring and tug on it as the magazine cap is tightened down. This tugging will cause the ring to became loose and even break. If it does not travel far enough down the magazine tube to break it will be just loose the next time you take the shotgun apart...

It is a NEW gun, O-Ring was loose on the mag tube when I removed it from the box ! I'll see if I can find them locally, then E-Bay, if that don't work, I'll try E-Bay I guess !

The O-ring on mine seems somewhat loose but to tell the
truth I've used mine for probably ten of the fifteen years
I've had it without an o-ring after the original one broke
and my local gun store was always out when I happened to
be there. It shot fine and never had an ejection problem
with anything from trap loads to slugs. I love that gun.

The o rings on the 11-87 seem to be easier to break than the ones on the old 1100s. Just taking it apart to clean it can destroy them. I bought a 10 pack from Brownells sold a couple to other guys that needed one. In a pinch I have temporarly used a small rubber ban with some success out in the duck blind.

The only other thing I would check is how smooth the chamber is. Being a new gun it shouldn't be a problem but older guns can have rust or plastic or both build up in the chamber and lead to sticking shells. I use a wooden dowell with some extra fine steel wool to polish the chamber on my 1100 and 11/87 each fall before hunting season.

Last edited:
Tried to find the O rings locally, no one stocks them! Sounds like I will never be able to trust it that it will be reliable, maybe I better sell it and stick to my old pump 870 ?

I always kept an extra inside the magazine tube cap. I shot my 1187 in four different trap leagues and just changed them out every 500 rds or so. It is a industry standard O ring size of which can be purchased in many places.

Remington should replace the O ring or repair the problem if this is a new shotgun. Clean off the excess oil, clear the gas ports, and order an O ring from Brownells if this is a new used shotgun.

I picked up a nice 1100 LT20 for cheap because it was not cleaned properly with to much oil and gunk left on the magazine tube. Replaced the rings and she shoots just fine.

Quote:
Some folks say lightly oiled, some say drench it, doesn't seem to work either way !

I had a couple of auto guns I've been using, that were jamming-not feeding properly. My hunting parter suggested Rem-oil drenching it on there. Nothing but more problems.

I got online and asked around, read about Break Free penetrating oil. I clean them often, lightly oil both guns with Break Free, no more problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Go to trapshooters.com or shotgunworld.com and ask about the exact size of Viton o-ring it takes. I bought 10 for $7 off E-bay some years ago.

Rem-Oil with Teflon is not a good choice for the mag tube. Breakfree CLP not only cleans the tube, it also prevents rust like nothing I have ever used.

Another thing I learned was to scrub the chit out of the barrel chamber with a chamber brush and spray the inside of the barrel with Breakfree.

I am thinking the gas ports on your gun are just a hair small. If you ask around, there is a certain size drill bit you van open the ports up by just hand turning the drill bit in the ports located on the barrel ring. I hope this helps.

Been trying to find a couple O rings all day, no sporting goods stores around here seem to carry them, talked to a local gunsmith and described the problem to him and he told me it is most likely the O ring, and he has new ones!

Back