Remington 11-87 Failure to eject or feed ?

Had the same problem finding them myself so
I ended up at Remington's web site and ordered
thru them. See now they sell three rings and
a new piston for $32.99.

I have the answer to your problem. Sell it and buy a Benelli. Remington Semi- Auto Shotguns are JUNK!! Remington knows it and does nothing about it. Evryone I know who owns a Remington autoloader has feed problems not matter what ammo is used. You could not give me a Remington autoloader. Well maybe, I do have some small trees in my yards that need stakes to help them grow straight.

[beeep] Greydog, take a chill pill Dude ! Got the new O-Rings, fit is alot better, now I need to get somewhere to test fire it again, maybe in the Morning, will post results.

I'll agree with greydog on this one. I work for an agency that has 200 of the 11-87 police guns. Supposed lifesavers in an emergency. They are guaranteed to shoot once. After that, all bets are off. I believe the fact that his NEW 11-87 doesn't work. The last batch of about 40 of these guns that we got, about 15 or so didn't cycle out of the box . We had to run them thru our armorers, that had to fly to NY to learn how to fix them, just to get them thru a qualification course. The lead armorer in NY laughed at our guys when we told him we bought the 11-87's. He told our guys we made a drastic mistake, and we should have stuck with our ol' Hack n Jack 870's. They don't misfeed. I'll NEVER own an 1100 or ANY of its derivatives.

GJ

Quote:
I have the answer to your problem. Sell it and buy a Benelli. Remington Semi- Auto Shotguns are JUNK!! Remington knows it and does nothing about it. Evryone I know who owns a Remington autoloader has feed problems not matter what ammo is used. You could not give me a Remington autoloader. Well maybe, I do have some small trees in my yards that need stakes to help them grow straight.

Huh thats a bold statement. I have a 11-87 and a SBE and love them both. Back when I was a hardcore waterfowler and were hunting the great salt lake marshes the Benelli started jamming. The 11-87 has never let me down. Im not knocking the Benelli it is a great gun, but I have never heard of anybody having any problems with a Remmy. Back to the original post. Utahdogger call Remmington and order a few O-rings and keep them with you when you shoot. You can tell by looking at the new ones when they need to be replaced.

Dogger The gas ports are in the barrel inside the sleeve that's attached and slides over the mag.tube I think there are two holes there. Its been a few years since I owned mine. Make sure you have the rings in the right order and facing the right direction. I just lightly oiled mine and never had a problem. Most the time when I had to replace a o-ring I cut it on the threads while putting it back together.It take several hundred shot to hurt one but sometimes your just unlucky and it happens. their a great gun and hold up well just a little heavy so stick with it you will be happy once you get it solved. One more thing I had the 21" turkey barrel and because of the length it did not eject very light loads well. I believe it did not have enough length to build up pressure. I opened my ports up slightly and solved the problem with the short barrel and dove loads.

Quote:

Hmmm, Owned a Rem. 1100 since 1966, which I purchased
with the money I made humping milk, eggs, and cheese to
peoples houses, off a milk truck, at the ripe age of 13.
No problems with that shotgun, and I have put well over
10,000 rounds through that gun. Nada, ZERO, None!

I purchased an 11-87, around 1990. I have hunted deer(fully
rifled slug barrel), waterfowl(26" Remchoke), grouse,
pheasants, woodcock, pigeons, doves, and varmints, with it
since then, and again NO PROBLEMS!

My brother, two waterfowling friends, my son, and my nephew
have 11-87s, and again ZERO problems.

Greydog, you probably need new acquaintances, whom take
better care of their firearms.

Yes, Remingtons need to be cleaned, and properly lubricated.

Oh, I just met a guy that referred to his new Benelli
as a very expensive boat paddle. And getting Benelli
to turn it back into a functioning shotgun was another
long story of frustration.

I have a new Benelli shotgun on order...Since April,
and I am beginning to think my new shotgun may actually
be another Browning, if Benelli can't get their supply
chain moving soon.

They all have issues, and they all can be rendered into
"Junk", at some point, by neglect, abuse, or just plain
use.

Squeeze

Do not get me wrong. I own several Remington products. Remington for the most part makes very good firearm. I should have done a better job of explaining which firearm I was referring to. That is the 11-87!! The 1100 is a very good gun. I know at least 5 people who had feed jam problems with their 11-87's. Me included. A friend of mine sent his 11-87 to Remington twice to be fixed and it still jams. This post started out with a guy who bought a new 11-87 and had to replace the o-rings?? That is a load of crap!!! If I buy a new firearm I should not have to replace anything!!! If you buy a new car should you have to replace the tires right away?????????

Last edited:
Greydog you hit the nail on the head! When you buy a new gun from any manufacture, but in todays sad world you cant count on anything. It use to be you never had to worry about a lemon when you bought a Remmy. Now its a crapshoot when you buy any gun.

I had bought a used 11-87 and it did basically the same thing. Once fired, the spent shell would eject but the next one wouldn't feed. Maybe that's why the guy sold it??I ended up selling it and adding a few hundred bucks and buying a new Winchester SX3. My 2cents.

Quote:
Do not get me wrong. I own several Remington products. Remington for the most part makes very good firearm. I should have done a better job of explaining which firearm I was referring to. That is the 11-87!! The 1100 is a very good gun. I know at least 5 people who had feed jam problems with their 11-87's. Me included. A friend of mine sent his 11-87 to Remington twice to be fixed and it still jams. This post started out with a guy who bought a new 11-87 and had to replace the o-rings?? That is a load of crap!!! If I buy a new firearm I should not have to replace anything!!! If you buy a new car should you have to replace the tires right away?????????

Well, I own three 11-87s and have had one since I believe 1990. The abuse I put that gun through and my others is intense and I have only replaced O rings. Most of my O ring replacement is from my own haste in putting them back together like Viper said and breaking it myself. Yes after all the years and owning three of the same model I still screw up but that is likely from my lack of being familiar with the assembly since annual cleanings is pampering IMO.

What we do not know yet is if the O ring failure was the cause and why they failed-- Assembly error perhaps severed the O ring?

With many thousands of rounds through my earliest shotgun and all my other specialized 1187s I have only had two problems I can remember. One was a weak load that sounded like a loud fart and stuck the wad in the barrel-- Thank God it did otherwise I could have blown the gun and much more if I had been shooting a pump. The other was a bent case from to many loadings of the same shell without shooting so the case hung up as it was wider than the chamber's opening.

Maybee you could send me your junk 1187 and I would pay the shipping and pay double market value for heavy iron scrap rather than your tree stake idea. They say scrap iron is falling so act now.

I would love to send you my 11-87. Problem is it was stolen. I used it to stake up a tree in my yard. I here it was last seen being used as a boat anchor just off the coast of Maryland. Probably the best use for it anyway. BTW. My Benelli Super Black Eagle says, Hi!!

Oh ya before the buy out of Remington I had twice recieved free O rings from customer service when I called. Both times the girl said it is easier to drop them in an envelope than to charge you more for the shipping than the item.

No doubt the Benelli is a nice gun but Mosberg model 500 always shot well and I never felt any guilt using it to break ice on a pond or bulldoze down brush and throns on a deer drive. My high gloss Browning is just to nice to use like that and if I had a Benelli the same would apply. So 18 years and counting on my primary 1187!

Oh ya my 1187 even kills ptarmigan empty. Went down a steep embankment to flush a flock in Labrador and only had three shells in the gun and two in the pocket. Well after dropping two with three shots I reloaded. As I go into the black spruce another bunch gets up in the trees and I send another down on a long coast into a clearing 40 yards out. I snuck as close as I could get about 10 feet took my gun in both hands over my head and flung it forward burrying the gun and ptarmigan into the 18-24 inches of snow. I hate loosing game. Took the gun apart that nite to get the water out and put some dry lube everywhere and she shot perfect in zero degree weather--no jams.

Get the manual and look to see if the rings are maybe turned upside down or installed incorrectly. That will make the gun malfunction the way you describe.

I've shot 1100's and 11-87's for a lot of years and I can assure you that you need to keep the gas piston free of oil when you're shooting. When the gas from a fired shell goes in it's contaminated with both burned and unburned powder. If there's oil in there the residue will stick to it causing the gun to malfunction. Moisture also condenses in there and will freeze on cold days. The trick to shooting any gas operated shotgun, especially the 1100 and the 11-87, is to keep it clean.

Order extra gas seals and always keep them with you when you're hunting. They have a habit of breaking when you need them the most.

Back