.408 Chey-tec

Not meaning any disrespect, DonD, but the .50Bmg does not utilize a spotter round.

The .50 cal spotter round has a trajectory that approximates the 106mm Recoiless Rifle, which has a high trajectory, as compared with a .50bmg. The spotter round is much slower than the .50 BMG.

Best wishes,

Karl in Phoenix

Karl, I remember the Ontos a little tracked vehicle that mounted multiple (6 I think) 106mms and I knew they used a spotter to help get hits. I wasn't aware of the use of a .50BMG spotter but the other posts seemed to suggest that such a round existed. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Don

Quote:
Karl, I remember the Ontos a little tracked vehicle that mounted multiple (6 I think) 106mms and I knew they used a spotter to help get hits. I wasn't aware of the use of a .50BMG spotter but the other posts seemed to suggest that such a round existed. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Don

It is NOT a 50 BMG spotter ("BMG", Browning Machine GUN being the operative word here) - there is no such round.

The round under discussion is the 50 cal spotter round - it is a special short case with the same head size as the BMG, but about 40% shorter - the only firearm ever chambered for it (not counting customs made in the last 10 years) is the spotter rifle that is part of the 57mm and 106mm recoilless rifles.

These guns will NOT chamber or fire the 50 BMG round.

Back